Eli Gold Not Expected To Return To Booth In 2024

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
Great respect for Eli but his best days have come and gone. For several years now his call of the game has been perfunctory and lacked an emotional element. I consider myself lucky to have grown up listening to Forney and then Eli in my adult years - even though I don't listen to many games on the radio these days. Chris does a terrific job, and his enthusiasm is contagious. I enjoy him on the basketball and baseball broadcasts (I watch baseball online). I think he'll be around for a good while and will become a fan favorite.
He sounded good last year. It's not about that. They wanted one voice, rather than it split.

bvandegraff

All-American
Mar 13, 2014
Albuquerque, NM
Most fans don't know about that. I didn't know until I read about it here.
Another reminder that I'm getting older :LOL: It was a long time ago now. Perk not only replaced Forney with Kennedy but took down Bryant's tower and switched sponsors from Coke/Golden Flake to Pepsi/Frito-Lay. A tone-deaf effort to move out of Bryant's shadow.

Reactions: Ledsteplin

bvandegraff

All-American
Mar 13, 2014
Albuquerque, NM
I caught some of Eli's interview on tide 100.9. Apparently his recent performance was at least part of the reason they decided to move on (understandably). He sounded (understandably) unhappy about the situation, but said his next gig(s) would be announced in the next few days.

I really hope that when the dust settles UA and Eli can come together and find a way to properly honor and acknowledge his place in Bama football history. I suspect that this story got out before either party was ready for it to, so the emotions are raw, and CTSN/UA end up looking callous and inept.

Chris Stewart has been waiting in the wings a while and is definitely ready to be Eli's successor. He has great energy, I can visualize his game calls quite easily, and he's not afraid to point out a bad call.

BAMA 22 HEISMAN

1st Team
Dec 13, 2009
Or we could turn that around and ask that hangers-on have some respect for the institution and walk away when it is time without forcing the institution to push them out. I travelled more than normal last football season, and as a result, I listened to several games on the radio. It was almost impossible to follow the game. Eli goes whole sets of downs at times with never mentioning down, distance, yardage gained. And other times, he would only fill in the details of the previous play halfway through the next. So many "the ball carrier made positive yardage" with no indication of who was in the game as running back and if positive yardage was 3 yards or 9.

It was time for him to go. He has been an important part of Alabama football, but seasons change. It is incumbent on all of us to recognize when our season ends and allow an opportunity for the next generation. Look no farther than our politicians for further example.
Squib I respect your opinion. I just want what is best for Bama. I just feel like we continue to lose traditions but if we aren't 100% in the radio booth , we need to be. Appreciate you Squib.

Reactions: JergusTide

BAMA 22 HEISMAN

1st Team
Dec 13, 2009
Squib I respect your opinion. I just want what is best for Bama. I just feel like we continue to lose traditions but if we aren't 100% in the radio booth , we need to be. Appreciate you Squib.
I miss the old days. Jan 1st bowl games and players that gave a dam about their school.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Meh.

I don't really care anymore. I'm pretty sure I'm done with CFB at this point. The transfer portal, NIL, conference juggling, etc have simply ruined it for me.

Just don't care.
I’ve tried to find something to compare it to so you can see how it turns out on the other side.

no luck yet

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Yeah, it's weird. Listening to Eli's interview on Tide 100.9 right now, he keeps saying "the university" decided to go in a different direction.
Eli sounded a little petty with his response. I know he wanted to continue, but listening to him last year, it seemed below the standard that ELI had for years.
We don't always have a choice when our time is over.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
He can fill his schedule with Nascar and hockey games. I never liked that Eli did voice for other sports.

Chris Stewart waited for a long time to have this role. He deserves it while he has some prime professional time left.

I'm guessing the split schedule was half the work for Eli but double the work for the behind the scenes folks...

Reactions: WoodyInPelham

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
I always go out in my garage and listen to a little of the game radio coverage. It’s kind of an ode to my Dad as we always listened to the non televised games via radio while I was growing up.

I love Mr Gold and will always cherish the fantastic job he did in his coverage of Bama football. That being said, I think Chris does an excellent job and has paid his dues. There will come a day when his time will end as well. We lost the best coach in the history of team sports. This is but another thing we will have to endure along the way.

What I do know is that Alabama athletics will always be paramount in the landscape of college sports regardless of whomever is at the helm. We have the history to back this up for sure.RTR.

Alogan1983

Suspended
Feb 12, 2024
Did anyone shame Saban for getting rid of Stabler? A National title winning AND super bowl winning QB for the University. Yeah, Kenny liked to drink but he was an Oakland Raider in the 70s, kinda what they did then.

Eli has done a great job, but no one is entitled to anything. I guess there are reasons.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Several thoughts on this.

There are some parallels and some differences between the end of Eli's tenure and the end of John Forney's.

Without question, Forney was pushed out by Ray Perkins. Previous posters have noted other of Perkins' moves. I seriously doubt DeBoer had anything to do with Eli's departure.

Eli was the voice of Alabama football during the Stallings and Saban glory years. Forney was the voice of Alabama football during the Bryant heydays. Both unquestionably loved University of Alabama athletics. If you couldn't watch the game on TV or in person, both were maddening to listen to.

In Forney's day, not many games were televised. In Gold's tenure, almost all of them were. Neither was worth anything in keeping a listener up to date on down, distance and clock.

Due to so little TV, it was a greater flaw for Forney. Gold got bailed out by people watching on TV and listening to him for the play-by-play....announcing the details wasn't as important. The last time I had to listen to Eli calling a game with no visual accompaniment was vs. South Carolina in Columbia in 2019. Long story short, I had to listen while driving. I was yelling at the radio and about to pull my hair out trying to follow.

My parents used to tell similar stories about listening to games broadcast by Forney. Even before his illness, there was significant dissatisfaction with Eli expressed on this board.

So with all the nostalgia for Eli, I'm reminded of an old joke: How many Alabama fans does it take to change a burned-out light bulb? Four. One to change the burned-out bulb, and three to stand around and talk about how good the old one was.

When I was active in the Alumni Association, I dealt with Eli several times. He has an opinion of himself that is common amongst a lot of performers and basks in the reflected glow of the success of the program during much of his tenure. As if he had a hand in the on-field success of the team.

Then Eli got sick, and it was tough. Chris Stewart made it quite clear that he was, "just keeping the seat warm," (a phrase he used repeatedly) awaiting Eli's return. That struck me as a bow to Eli's ego.

Some here may remember that Stewart replaced Eli as the voice of Alabama basketball. Through no fault of Stewart's, the decision wasn't handled well. Still, I have no doubt Eli never fully got over that, and Stewart was trying to head off an awkward situation.

After Eli came back from his illness, it was painfully obvious that he wasn't his old self. For all of us, there comes a time when we need to hang it up, whether we want to or not.

Eli clearly doesn't feel that time has yet come for him. Which, in combination with the ego, I think led him to air the laundry publicly. Which is what I think is the real bad look.

As to who made the decision, I don't know. It would not have been made lightly. If I had to guess, Learfield / Crimson Tide Sports Network almost certainly ran it by Greg Byrne. It's also possible that Byrne was the one approaching CTSN. Regardless, Dr. Bell would have been aware, and there may have even been an informal briefing to the Board of Trustees. Those guys hate being blind-sided on something that public. The nightmare would be Byrne or Bell or a member of the BoT not knowing and being asked a question by a reporter. One way or another, they just had to know.

Yes, it's sad. Yes, it was time.

Late Add: Regarding having earned the right to call one's own exit: Compare Bobby Bowden's exit -- stayed in the chair way too long, and FSU finally had to nudge him out -- vs. Nick Saban's. Saban stayed until he either couldn't or no longer wanted to perform to his own championship standards. Then he made a graceful exit.

Bowden and Saban both earned the right to make their own call. Bowden made the wrong one. Saban made the right one.

I agree that Eli had earned the right to call his own exit. But with that right comes the responsibility to know when the time has come. Eli didn't do that. Then he publicly aired a decision he didn't like, clearly aiming to stir public emotion to his side.

Last edited:

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina

There are some parallels and some differences between the end of Eli's tenure and the end of John Forney's.

Without question, Forney was pushed out by Ray Perkins. Previous posters have noted other of Perkins' moves. I seriously doubt DeBoer had anything to do with Eli's departure.

Eli was the voice of Alabama football during the Stallings and Saban glory years. Forney was the voice of Alabama football during the Bryant heydays. Both unquestionably loved University of Alabama athletics. If you couldn't watch the game on TV or in person, both were maddening to listen to.

In Forney's day, not many games were televised. In Gold's tenure, almost all of them were. Neither was worth anything in keeping a listener up to date on down, distance and clock.

Due to so little TV, it was a greater flaw for Forney. Gold got bailed out by people watching on TV and listening to him for the play-by-play....announcing the details wasn't as important. The last time I had to listen to Eli calling a game with no visual accompaniment was vs. South Carolina in Columbia in 2019. Long story short, I had to listen while driving. I was yelling at the radio and about to pull my hair out trying to follow.

My parents used to tell similar stories about listening to games broadcast by Forney.

So with all the nostalgia for Eli, I'm reminded of an old joke: How many Alabama fans does it take to change a burned-out light bulb? Four. One to change the burned-out bulb, and three to stand around and talk about how good the old one was.

When I was active in the Alumni Association, I dealt with Eli several times. He has an opinion of himself that is common amongst a lot of performers and basks in the reflected glow of the success of the program during much of his tenure. As if he had a hand in the on-field success of the team.

Then Eli got sick, and it was tough. Chris Stewart made it quite clear that he was, "just keeping the seat warm," (a phrase he used repeatedly) awaiting Eli's return. That struck me as a bow to Eli's ego.

Some here may remember that Stewart replaced Eli as the voice of Alabama basketball. Through no fault of Stewart's, the decision wasn't handled well. Still, I have no doubt Eli never fully got over that, and Stewart was trying to head off an awkward situation.

After Eli came back from his illness, it was painfully obvious that he wasn't his old self. For all of us, there comes a time when we need to hang it up, whether we want to or not.

Eli clearly doesn't feel that time has yet come for him. Which, in combination with the ego, I think led him to air the laundry publicly. Which is what I think is the real bad look.

As to who made the decision, I don't know. It would not have been made lightly. If I had to guess, Learfield / Crimson Tide Sports Network almost certainly ran it by Greg Byrne, probably Dr. Bell, and possibly even an informal briefing to the Board of Trustees. If for no reason other than those guys do not like to be blind-sided on something that public. The nightmare would be Byrne or Bell or a member of the BoT not knowing and being asked a question by a reporter.

You've pretty much nailed the way I see it. Knowing when to walk away is not always easy....it was time.

dtgreg

All-American
Jul 24, 2000
Tuscaloosa
www.electricmonkeywrench.com

My parents used to tell similar stories about listening to games broadcast by Forney.

As to who made the decision, I don't know. It would not have been made lightly. If I had to guess, Learfield / Crimson Tide Sports Network almost certainly ran it by Greg Byrne, probably Dr. Bell, and possibly even an informal briefing to the Board of Trustees. If for no reason other than those guys do not like to be blind-sided on something that public. The nightmare would be Byrne or Bell or a member of the BoT not knowing and being asked a question by a reporter.

Everything you wrote above but poor Eli seems like someone who NEEDED the job as a goal in the mist to get his health back. I hope he is happy in his future.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
If that is true then screw the university. This man deserved to go out on his own terms.

Now I'm even less excited for next season.
I for one enjoyed most of his work through the years. But last year it was clear to me that we needed to move on. His energy just wasn't there. I didn't hear the passion he had earlier in his career. It may have been there but it wasn't coming across the radio. I for one am thankful because he was there during some dark times trying to be a positive influence. But nobody "deserves" anything. I've been at my job 30 years. If I fail to accomplish my job I'll be shown the door. When that day comes I'll be thankful for the time I had and go find something else to do.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
There is some speculation most likely Eli was wanting to do similar schedule to 2023 where he did home games only and Chris Stewart would take the road games as play by play. The University chose not to do that.

Sad they couldn’t work something out if true.

edit: let me also add, if the above scenario was the case, I would have expected Eli to say as much in his statement. Since he didn’t, I leads me to believe the University was making the decision to move on regardless.
Good grief. Yeah, bad form and optics on the part of the University if true, IMO. Eli earned the privilege of retiring on his own. Eli and John Forney were as much a part of Alabama football, in their own ways, as Coach Bryant, Coach Stallings and CNS were in theirs. Disappointed in my alma mater on this one.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.

Latest threads