Bama Game Thread: BAMA (13) @ Kentucky (17) [CBS @ 3pm CST]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bpilktree

1st Team
Jan 7, 2019
Talk about difference in few days. LSU goes out and beats Kentucky coming back from 18 down. The next time out Kentucky destroys us by 20+ and it was worse than that. LSU coming off the big win and currently down 22 to Mississippi State at home. With basketball you just never know what can happen.

Reactions: dathbama

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Talk about difference in few days. LSU goes out and beats Kentucky coming back from 18 down. The next time out Kentucky destroys us by 20+ and it was worse than that. LSU coming off the big win and currently down 22 to Mississippi State at home. With basketball you just never know what can happen.
The LSU loss is probably what motivated UK. And we all know what huge wins can do - hard to maintain focus after a win like that. Did their fans really rush the floor?

Reactions: TideEngineer08

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
The LSU loss is probably what motivated UK. And we all know what huge wins can do - hard to maintain focus after a win like that. Did their fans really rush the floor?
Plus returning home after 2 on the road. Saturday afternoon. Full house. Missing two players. Yep, perfect storm.

Last edited:

Cruiser

All-American
Sep 24, 2015
Has any team ever been ranked 1st in scoring and last in scoring defense? We are getting close
We are first in scoring and. 339 out of 360 in scoring allowed. Quite the basketball conundrum

Last edited:

Bpilktree

1st Team
Jan 7, 2019
Has any team ever been ranked 1st in scoring and last in scoring defense? We are getting close
I am sure Loyola Marymount was head and shoulders 1st in both categories a few years late 80s 90s. They averaged 123 points a game and gave up over 109 in 1989. UnLV probably did it few years too though they were in bad conference so might have held some teams way down.

Last edited:

Lifer

Scout Team
Nov 20, 2021
Jacksonville Fl
Link from USA Today would not copy.Nae Oats said.
“Kentucky was ready to play today, and we weren’t. Cal had his guys ready to go. I didn’t. They looked great. We looked awful. Our defensive intensity was not good. I told our guys after the game, we’ve had question marks all year. Those question marks are completely erased today. Everybody knows that we don’t really guard at this point because our effort stunk. Part of the issue was we turned it, and they scored 29 points off our 16 turnovers. You can’t turn the ball over that much. Our starting backcourt had too many turnovers. We need to do a better job taking care of the ball.

“We had us for giving up 16 points in transition – not including the points off turnovers. So you take the 29 points off turnovers, 16 other points in transition and all of a sudden you’re at 45 points before you even get in your halfcourt defense and get a chance to get a stop. And then once we got in the halfcourt, I didn’t think we were that great either. Kentucky shot the ball well, too. They’re a team that’s supposed to be able to shoot, and they shot it twice as good as we did. We gave up 54 percent from three. We gave up 63 percent from the field.

“Any kind of decent defense was played in the last eight minutes when I thought the game was already over. That’s when Kentucky was probably coasting at the end. So there’s not a lot of positives about this. The only positive thing was we played well on offense through the course of the year to be tied for first place after that horrendous effort. We’ve got four games left, and we’ve got to try to figure out how to get these guys a little more motivated to play harder on defense.”

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
“Any kind of decent defense was played in the last eight minutes when I thought the game was already over. That’s when Kentucky was probably coasting at the end. So there’s not a lot of positives about this. The only positive thing was we played well on offense through the course of the year to be tied for first place after that horrendous effort. We’ve got four games left, and we’ve got to try to figure out how to get these guys a little more motivated to play harder on defense.
Amen and Amen.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
We defend more possessions because we take quick shots leading to more possessions. We are in the top 50 in defensive fg percentage. However we are not in the top 50 in 3pt defense %. We are not in the top 50 in steals or blocks. So we are actually pretty good at defending the ball in the paint. Kentucky is #2 in the nation in 3pt fg% at 40%; we are #13 at 38%.

Yesterday was a strength v weakness display on their home court after a disappointing loss. To add, they shot 50% better than their average on their strength.

Its tough to beat anyone with these percentages. If we both had shot our average 3pt % with everything else the same, we would have lost the game by 3pts, 101-98...

We are first in scoring and. 339 out of 360 in scoring allowed. Quite the basketball conundrum

Last edited:

CajunCrimson

Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
We are between 80-90 in defensive efficiency. Those 330+ numbers just aren’t true. Those are PPG numbers.

efficiency is the number you want to look at. We aren’t great. But we are better than most. And about the same as Kentucky BTW.

Nate is just trying to get his guys focused on the last four games. Many of our games have over 80 positions. I’ve seen Purdue games with 55. With 25 more positions, if the team is shooting 50%, that’s an extra 25 points.

Let’s not overthink this

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
We are between 80-90 in defensive efficiency. Those 330+ numbers just aren’t true. Those are PPG numbers.

efficiency is the number you want to look at. We aren’t great. But we are better than most. And about the same as Kentucky BTW.

Nate is just trying to get his guys focused on the last four games. Many of our games have over 80 positions. I’ve seen Purdue games with 55. With 25 more positions, if the team is shooting 50%, that’s an extra 25 points.

Let’s not overthink this
We play at a NBA pace. The best NBA defense gives up 88+ points per game based on a 40 minute game.

Coach D

3rd Team
Apr 27, 2023
What ever you want statistic you want to use this defense is not good or consistent. The arguments it seems is if it’s considered bad or just ok. The last 3 out of 4 games is not good defense. And seems like it’s more the normal than the anomaly. But TOs/fast breaks don’t help the statics but it’s still part of the game and makes bad defense worse.
With that said obviously still a very good team and can increase its d by a little could be a great team.

CajunCrimson

Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
What ever you want statistic you want to use this defense is not good or consistent. The arguments it seems is if it’s considered bad or just ok. The last 3 out of 4 games is not good defense. And seems like it’s more the normal than the anomaly. But TOs/fast breaks don’t help the statics but it’s still part of the game and makes bad defense worse.
With that said obviously still a very good team and can increase its d by a little could be a great team.
that’s old-school thinking. Right now we are first in the country and offensive efficiency, and 90th in defensive efficiency. If you took six points away from our offense, and our defense of efficiencies, our offense is still fifth, and our defense would be 15th.

Those points are equal. I’m not worried about our defense. At all. 0% concerned.

No team can compete with us on the offensive side when we are on. Unless they approach Herculean type stuff, like we saw yesterday.

Right now we don’t have the depth, or the talent needed to reach the final four. But it has nothing to do with our effort, and it has nothing to do with our inability to play defense.

We have greatly outperformed expectations this year so far.

CrimsonTitles

1st Team
Mar 30, 2015
that’s old-school thinking. Right now we are first in the country and offensive efficiency, and 90th in defensive efficiency. If you took six points away from our offense, and our defense of efficiencies, our offense is still fifth, and our defense would be 15th.

Those points are equal. I’m not worried about our defense. At all. 0% concerned.

No team can compete with us on the offensive side when we are on. Unless they approach Herculean type stuff, like we saw yesterday.

Right now we don’t have the depth, or the talent needed to reach the final four. But it has nothing to do with our effort, and it has nothing to do with our inability to play defense.

I agree. I'd be extremely happy with another SEC title, and/or another Sweet 16 appearance.

Next year is the year that I've had circled for awhile. If nobody major enters the portal, then next year's team has the potential to be something special. If we can keep at least 4 of Sears, Griffen, Walters, Stevenson, Wrightsell, Nelson, and fill whatever remaining spots with our deficiencies (need to add a rim protector), then we have a legit shot at a final four run next year.

Last edited:

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
In the last 4 games, we have been without Pringle, Wague and Wrightsell and Griffen has stitches over his left eye. These absences limit several personnel combinations that could contribute to better depth better defense.

cthorne22

BamaNation Citizen
Aug 5, 2002
Harvest, AL

0% concerned.

Your the only one. I bet CNO is considerably north of there.

3 SEC losses, closest one by 18. None of them ever competitive

Really good teams can win with different tempos and styles. But, those teams will guard you, especially if offense is not hot.

This feels like Michael Spinks VS Mike Tyson. I’m going to throw a Haymaker. If it lands I've got shot otherwise I'm out on the mat

CrimsonTitles

1st Team
Mar 30, 2015
0% concerned.

Your the only one. I bet CNO is considerably north of there.

3 SEC losses, closest one by 18. None of them ever competitive

Really good teams can win with different tempos and styles. But, those teams will guard you, especially if offense is not hot.

This feels like Michael Spinks VS Mike Tyson. I’m going to throw a Haymaker. If it lands I've got shot otherwise I'm out on the mat
If he were legitimately concerned, I don't think he would be calling the team out the way he is. He would be less vocal about it if he thought that was the best they could do. He is challenging them because he knows they can do better.

Also, I think everyone is forgetting that we just haven't been good on the road all year. We've been blown out by Tennessee, Auburn, and Kentucky. Meanwhile, we beat Auburn at home, and while the final score ended up being close, it very well could have been a blowout. Next weekend, we get the rematch with Tennessee, and I fully expect to win that because it's a home game.

Yesterday's loss was a combination of things. What I saw was a team that played well for the first ten minutes, but then started to run out of gas as the game went on. Both teams are high tempo, so this was not the game to be missing depth. And we did have stretches where it felt like we just had zero left to give. We gave them a ton of wide open threes, and a lot of that was just exhaustion. Also, it was on the road. I honestly figured we would lose by somewhere between 15-20. It ended up being 22, but I honestly wouldn't read too much into this game.

We played awful, and somehow still scored 95. The odds of us allowing 117 again are not that high, so I don't think it's too concerning.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.

Latest threads