What % do you think obesity contributes to the health problems in our country? (ETA - and why is rucking the best answer? :) ) Part II

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Looking for tenacity? The aMCC might be the answer.

I found this an interesting read. I get not everyone's into this sort of stuff, but I love it.>

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I just don't understand why all of the "extra" stuff is added to things in the US or why it is allowed.
You can buy Quaker Oatmeal in the US with no ingredients other than rolled oats. That is what we buy - I think it is labeled Old Fashioned. But people want everything pre-flavored and packaged/prepared in a way that allows them to put zero time or effort into food preparation.

Lazy people eat this crap. If you prepare your own food from scratch it will taste better, be better for you, and cost less.

Reactions: Con and mrusso

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
You can buy Quaker Oatmeal in the US with no ingredients other than rolled oats. That is what we buy - I think it is labeled Old Fashioned. But people want everything pre-flavored and packaged/prepared in a way that allows them to put zero time or effort into food preparation.

Lazy people eat this crap. If you prepare your own food from scratch it will taste better, be better for you, and cost less.
I was brought up to hate instant anything. I make most stuff from scratch. I have always hated oatmeal though.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

US regulations wrt food 'additives' are much lower than much of Europe. They don't allow many of the food additives that are approved for consumption in the US, which means they often have to use the more expensive (natural) ingredients rather than some cheap chemical compound.

I've little doubt that part of the obesity problem in the US is due all the chemicals in our food supply. It's possible to largely avoid eating garbage like this, but it requires effort and is generally a good bit more expensive. In the US, the cheapest foods are the most caloricially-dense that are also packed with all sorts of chemicals.

Reactions: B1GTide

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I just don't understand why all of the "extra" stuff is added to things in the US or why it is allowed.
It costs less.

Due to the FDA's laughable GRAS (Generally Regarded As Safe) policy, companies can self-affirm that food additives are safe. The FDA can of course later reverse this decision, but the fact that we allow the companies who willl profit from the sale of the product to 'test' it is laughable.

When you trust the food companies to test products, you end up with cheap chemical compounds in the food supply because profit.

Reactions: B1GTide and Toddrn

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
For my Georgia tidefans brothers and sisters, looks like the Chattahoochee Trail will be shut down while they repave parking lots. There are a bunch of dump trucks, tractors, gas trucks, papers, etc. all parked on part of the trail.

Reactions: Toddrn

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Six years ago today was my first ever ruck - I've averaged over 2,000 miles per year since then. Consistency is king, as they say.

View attachment 42007
biked the other day carrying extra weight in a backpack. 20 miles. I was exhausted after.

probably not going to be hiking like I thought. Coworkers not really inviting me to go with them anymore and my friend isn't reliable enough or disciplined enough to be consistent

Reactions: Con and B1GTide

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.

Latest threads