Question: Border crisis looming, what should be done?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I mean, that's a fine short-term solution, but you can tax the rich at 100% and you're not going to cover one year of our current spending. We have to figure out what's important and shift funds (in addition to revamping the tax code) accordingly.
I think you are underestimating the revenue we could raise with a tax system closer to what we used to have. The top income tax rate reached above 90% from 1944 through 1963,

How many times have you heard a conservative pine for how things were in the good old days?

Implement a wealth tax. Make people pay into the Social Security system based on their income and get rid of the existing cap. Quit prioritizing the interests of the most wealthy at the expense of everybody else.

We’ve seen our Supreme Court bought and paid for. Enough is enough.

Reactions: 92tide

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Only in 2024 would $100 billion in foreign aid tied to a bill be 'nothing'.

LOL, no wonder this country is in so much debt...

But yeah, we should definitely throw out the baby with the bathwater. 🤣
I was talking about the immigration portion of the bill, but OK.

ETA: the border portion was only added to get republicans onboard with the rest.

Last edited:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I think you are underestimating the revenue we could raise with a tax system closer to what we used to have. The top income tax rate reached above 90% from 1944 through 1963,
But those numbers aren't what they seem: https://slate.com/business/2017/08/the-history-of-tax-rates-for-the-rich.html

The reality is yes, the 'rich' need to pay more. No question. But unless we start cutting our rampant spending, there's no chance we can make up the difference.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003

Sen. James Lankford (R-OK) responds to Elon Musk's criticism of the border bill that Republicans and Democrats in the Senate negotiated to try and address the surge in migrants at the US-Mexico border.

(Musk claims the long term goal of the bill is to enable illegal immigrants to vote, which is in no way true, of course)

And the House is set to impeach the Homeland Security Secretary over an issue the House refuses to pass enabling legislation today. On its face it's ridiculous. In context it becomes comical.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
I mean, that's a fine short-term solution, but you can tax the rich at 100% and you're not going to cover one year of our current spending. We have to figure out what's important and shift funds (in addition to revamping the tax code) accordingly.

Without SOME effort to balance the budget there will always be 'emergencies' and 'dangers' that require massive spending, so they'll just increase taxation and continue to increase our debt.

I'd rather not continue to be part of the problem the boomers have saddled us with.
You can really trace it back to Reagan's massively flawed policies of 'trickle down'. Republicans then realized that you could easily 'buy' peoples votes and adopted this previously Dem. policy wholeheartedly.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
i saw a report that Katie Britt has come out against this bill. I could not be any more disappointed by a politician representing me than I am with her. Her centrist posturing was all bs.
There were a number of posters who kept saying she wasn't like all the rest but, I never believed it. During her campaign, all her ads did nothing but kiss up to Trump.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
What is everyones opinion on this new immigration/foreign aid bill? Republicans seem to have gotten much of what they wanted. Trump doesn't like it because he doesn't want Biden, who is comprising, to have a win so the gutless Rs are now opposing it. For me, its certainly less than perfect but its a step in the right direction and should be passed.
Yes, I agree.

Did you watch the video I posted on Post #390? I thought it was pretty good in explaining some things that don't seem to be mentioned in the MSM.

At this point I am for the bill because it doesn't seem like the Feds or current administration are going to do anything else, so it's better than nothing.

And as Dan's guest points out....there's some really good benefits that bill will provide.

And the fact that the Border Patrol Union is for it says a lot!

Reactions: Chukker Veteran

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States

Mayor Eric Adams’ administration will soon start handing out pre-paid credit cards to migrant families being put up in Big Apple hotels, The Post has learned.

The $53 million pilot program, run by the New Jersey company Mobility Capital Finance, will provide asylum seekers arriving at the Roosevelt Hotel with the city cash to help them buy food, according to city records.

The amount on each card will vary depending on the size of the family and whether any income is coming in, according to the details of the contract. A family of four, for instance, could be provided nearly $1,000 each month, which comes out to $35 per day for food. Cards will get refilled every 28 days.

News of the pre-paid card program comes a day after The Post revealed another $137 million in contracts with city hotels to provide more than 750 rooms to asylum seekers with families.

The city is housing just over 66,000 asylum seekers after 1,500 more arrived last week as part of a crisis that is expected to cost $10 billion through 2025.
Where is this kind of help for actual American citizens who are homeless in NYC? I'm not against legal immigration but, my goodness, why are some more willing to help them out instead of our own citizens.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Yes, I agree.

Did you watch the video I posted on Post #390? I thought it was pretty good in explaining some things that don't seem to be mentioned in the MSM.

At this point I am for the bill because it doesn't seem like the Feds or current administration are going to do anything else, so it's better than nothing.

And as Dan's guest points out....there's some really good benefits that bill will provide.

And the fact that the Border Patrol Union is for it says a lot!
Thanks, I went back and watched your link in post 390. I heard that somewhere there was a 19 page summary of this 600 page bill although most in congress seem OK with condemning it without really understanding it (aka trump sycophants).

Reactions: Bazza

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Couple thoughts.......

1. I think OMB is missing a big opportunity here, which is nothing new in the way I view campaign strategy (more on that at a later date).

If OMB came out FOR this bill......he would be looked upon much differently by Independents, as well as many others.

The far left and far right are never going to change their preferences.

It's those whose vote is up for grabs you want.

So....OMB comes out and supports the passing of this bill.....he gets an entirely new level of attention and is looked at in a new way. Someone who has the capacity to think independently. A good thing and something we want.

Lost opportunity, IMHO.

2. If I'm POTUS.....knowing the current partisan political circus that Congress is (and has been in quite a while)....I'm taking measures myself.

See #1 above for the benefits of doing so.

For anyone saying he can't do more than he's doing....you're entitled to your opinion but sorry you're wrong.

Aside from the legal aspects...he could be out in front of everything speaking to the country about this issue. Sharing information about what is going on. Why we should or shouldn't be concerned. Making the case.

Something. Leader of the free world stuff.

Even his supporters have to be frustrated.......

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Where is this kind of help for actual American citizens who are homeless in NYC? I'm not against legal immigration but, my goodness, why are some more willing to help them out instead of our own citizens.

DHS Budget Overview On April 26, 2023, the Administration released the Executive Financial Plan for Fiscal 2023-2027 (Executive Plan) with a proposed budget for the City in Fiscal 2024 of $106.7 billion. This report offers a review of the Department of Homeless Services’ (DHS or the Department) Fiscal 2024 Executive Budget, including proposed budget actions taken in the Executive Plan. For additional information on DHS’ Preliminary Budget, please refer to the Fiscal 2024 Preliminary Budget report at: https://council.nyc.gov/budget/wp-content/uploads/sites/54/2023/03/DHS.pdf. The City’s Fiscal 2024 Executive Plan includes significant investments in Fiscals 2023 through 2025 to support its response effort to the large influx of asylum seekers. Over 58.5 percent of budgeted funding provided in the Executive Plan was added to DHS’ budget. DHS’ projected Fiscal 2024 Budget of $4.1 billion represents 3.8 percent of the City’s proposed Fiscal 2024 Budget in the Executive Plan. DHS’ Fiscal 2024 Budget increased by a remarkable $1.8 billion, or 75.3 percent, from the Preliminary Plan when it was $2.3 billion. The increase is nearly all due to the addition of $1.8 billion for DHS’ asylum seeker response expenses. DHS’ proposed Fiscal 2023 Budget is $3.5 billion in the Executive Plan, which is $1.1 billion, or 45.6 percent, larger than the agency’s Fiscal 2023 Adopted Budget of $2.4 billion. This increase is also largely due to funding added to support DHS’ asylum seeker response expenses. The Department’s Fiscal 2023 Budget increased by $478.6 million, or 15.8 percent, since the Preliminary Plan which is largely due to the addition of $127.7 million for asylum seeker response efforts and $260.0 million for non-asylum seeker shelter cost re-estimate. Chart 1 provides a comparison of DHS’ budget in Fiscals 2023 and 2024 across the last three financial plans.

ETA: For all the flack NYC catches they do actually try to provide services for homeless people there.

• Thank You
Reactions: 92tide

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
-snip-
...he could be out in front of everything speaking to the country about this issue. Sharing information about what is going on. Why we should or shouldn't be concerned. Making the case.
-snip-

OK he just did so.

Good for him.

Way overdue, but better than nothing.

I wouldn't have phrased everything the way he did, but when is the last time any politician did something without bringing "politics" into it?

Was asked by a reporter afterwards if (paraphrasing) this bill failed, would he consider supporting any stand alone legislation that would provide relief for XXX.

"No we need it all."

If someone could tell me why we can't have stand alone legislation for huge concerns such as the Border, Ukraine, the Mid-East, etc....please tell me. Lump everything together is just asking for problems getting stuff passed, IMHO....

Reactions: crimsonaudio

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Status
Not open for further replies.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.