It keeps getting worse: Big 12 in discussions w/Allstate on a naming rights deal to change league's name

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
I just read an article about the Washington v. Wash State game will be exclusively streaming on Peacock.

This is the kind of thing that would most likely cause me to stop watching college football.

I watch just about every big rivalry game, but no way I'm buying a streaming service or PPV to watch a game like this.

May not even be willing to PPV the Iron Bowl.

It's all getting ridiculous.

SkullDuckery

1st Team
Dec 28, 2015
I’d cancel youtubetv altogether and just buy individual Bama games, the good ones. I’d have a lot more time in the fall to get other stuff done.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
As long as there's money to be made, it won't implode. TV money, and misguided super-wealth will keep it going. Even the UFL is basically played in front of a 1/3rd full stadium. Vandy's spring game may have had more fans than the UFL championship game did.
By “implode” I meant, destroy the sport as it has existed and turn it into a pay-for-play professional league. I’m sure it will make more money than ever. But it will no longer be collegiate athletics.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
By “implode” I meant, destroy the sport as it has existed and turn it into a pay-for-play professional league. I’m sure it will make more money than ever. But it will no longer be collegiate athletics.
For a while.

But eventually people will get tired of shelling out top-tier money for secondary (or tertiary) level play. I suspect paying NFL prices (or more) to see an XFL level play (at best) isn't going to last long.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
For a while.

But eventually people will get tired of shelling out top-tier money for secondary (or tertiary) level play. I suspect paying NFL prices (or more) to see an XFL level play (at best) isn't going to last long.
Dangit. There you go again injecting economic reality into what is really an emotional discussion.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I just read an article about the Washington v. Wash State game will be exclusively streaming on Peacock.

This is the kind of thing that would most likely cause me to stop watching college football.

I watch just about every big rivalry game, but no way I'm buying a streaming service or PPV to watch a game like this.

May not even be willing to PPV the Iron Bowl.

It's all getting ridiculous.
Tide Pride is getting more expensive.

Separate and apart from TP, ticket prices are increasing.

Perks are becoming fewer and less valuable.

Right this second, you still have to kick in funds on top of TP and buying tickets, just to maintain your spot in the heierarchy. So there's still demand. BUUTTTTT.....

Being hit up for funds for pay-for-play is increasing, and that's not a one-time thing. It's annual. And there are no benefits....not tax-deductible. No Tide Pride points attached. Just writing a check to, in effect, fund a kid's "handler's" Dodge Charger.

The kid himself is buying a Lamborghini and plastering it all over the internet. Looking at you, Carson Beck.

If you haven't gagged on all that, it's getting more expensive to watch on TV -- network, cable, streaming, PPV, whatever.

And due to transfers out and transfers in from the Portal, you still might not recognize half the team.

Whether through direct purchase of tickets, donations to the ticket program, donations to the athletic foundation, donations to the pay-for-play "collective," or indirectly through the purchase of items advertised in whatever TV broadcast you choose, the fans are the ultimate source of cash to fund all of this.

No matter how well-heeled, the milk in that sugar-%^&^% will run dry sometime soon.

I'm obviously experiencing a cynical moment, yelling at clouds. Now get off my lawn!!!!.

Last edited:

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Take this for what it is worth, but a former co-worker of mine has a son who plays for LSU baseball and I saw her this weekend. Apparently, Coach Johnson is fed up with the NIL and the players' only concern being "how much are you going to pay me". He's supposedly telling every player who comes into his office whose only concern is money to start looking elsewhere. According to her son, he told the entire team if you're only concerned about the money rather than the other important things that it means to play for LSU baseball, then hit the road.

Last edited:
Reactions: CrimsonRuss

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.

Latest threads