Jalen Milroe is now the starter going forward.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Shame they didnt slide one of those TEs across the middle........but would he have been seen?
watch Milroe's head on that play. Sure doesn't seem like he's looking anywhere else as it never moves. I don't think his eyes went anywhere else either, since the NB was running like he stole something to get under that route.

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
watch Milroe's head on that play. Sure doesn't seem like he's looking anywhere else as it never moves. I don't think his eyes went anywhere else either, since the NB was running like he stole something to get under that route.
He definitely has no vision on the field.............which puzzles me as to why the team wants him to play knowing he might never throw the ball to them

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
I’ll admit I’m pretty ticked off about this.

But I’d also say I’m being realistic and not overreacting.

These guys on Offense are mentally weak and clique-y as hell.

Jalen can not read a defense. He just can’t.

This unit as a whole is not good enough to navigate an SEC schedule with a 1 dimensional 1 read turnover prone athlete at QB.

Especially when the OC is hellbent on making him read Defenses from the shotgun with 3-4 WRs and long developing routes.

I can’t believe this is an Alabama team under CNS.

What planet am I on??
When Milroe goes into the game he's arguably the best athlete on the field. Kiffin worked magic with Sims and a young Hurts - the KISS principle. Rees was running 4 and 5 WR against Texas for what I don't know. There could a be a reason Kelly didn't take Rees with him to LSU.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Technically Coker didn’t save the day, we still lost. But he won the team with his PLAY ON THE FIELD. The Milroe lovers picked him before the season and no matter how poorly he plays, they will die on that hill. It’s infuriating.
What’s infuriating is someone who states definitively what he doesn’t know.

I agree with the choice even though I’m not a “Milroe lover” who selected him before the season and has stuck with him no matter what. I was glad Simpson got a chance and thought he did OK against a pathetic defense but know that JM did much better vs a better MTSU team. At the moment TS looks like he would be overmatched physically and mentally vs SEC caliber competition. Just an opinion.

I’ll pull for him just like I would have for TS, though my guess would be that the decision was not hard for CNS.

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
That's exactly what we did when JM threw the second INT against UTw. We had 2 TEs, the RB and 5 OL in protection with 1 WR on each side of the field. perfect pocket and all the time in the world
You're right. I don't know why he tried to force that one. He did ok with same or similar alignment on this

I remember Jeff Rutledge throwing 5 picks against Nebraska.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
He is letting the team pick the QB. That’s not how football works.
Again, you are guessing but acting like you know Saban’s motivation which you don’t. Your logic is faulty and you certainly don’t know that what you’re saying is true.

Your hubris is off the charts, making your opinions even less palatable. But you sound like you’re just venting as opposed to trying to reason with anyone.

JohnD

1st Team
Dec 22, 2003
Whew, man! I made it through 8 pages of this before my head started hurting!

Saban and the coaches needed to get Buchner and Simpson some live action when it mattered. Reason being, either of these 3 may be forced into duty due to injury, so those 2 needed some meaningful snaps before the tougher games. So Saban gave Milroe the day off against a team he did not feel could score on us so he could see the other QB's get a lot of reps against a semi decent defense, and all the coaches could judge. The fact is, Simpson has scarcely had any work without a Black jersey on (his lack of internal clock shows this). And Buchner played only one game since he was injured last year, and threw 3 picks in that. But Tyler played 10 games as a freshman. So based on experience and not a whole lot of separation, he is first up in the game ahead of Ty.
Well, Buchner was a train wreck. I'm not sure why and surely that is not indicative of what he showed in practice, but again, they practice with black jersey's on, or only get thudded. Bullets were flying in this game. Then Simpson came in and I though he was going to get broken in half. No pocket awareness, no internal clock and has a blind spot on his left side. The arm looks good, and he did make some throws and showed some signs of being a great passer. But he is not consistent, and he is clearly has a ways to go. And mentally it may be detrimental to his development at this point to toss him out there in this mess as the offense is still going through growing pains. There has been talk about him beating himself up and pouting. Sounds like Mac Jones. Obviously lot of people don't feel the same way about him, and saw something more that I did against USF, but that opinion must be tilted based on the immense amount of hype this kid has had since he was in high school. He's just not there yet. Reality check: Very few freshmen or redshirt freshmen get to play in a major program. Ty may be another Mac Jones. Too amped up and just could not put it together at that stage in his career. Doesn't mean he won't get there.

Look, I'm not comfortable with Milroe either, but this is just where we are, folks. Milroe has enough positives and has been in the fire enough that the staff feels the best about him being out there. He can run if the pass rush gets too bad, and let's face it, the blocking is poor at this point. The situation is not ideal, but it is what it is. And he may not be the final answer. But we can't throw out the baby with the bath water just to "move on", or whatever. That's a sure way to nosedive this season, when there are still things to play for. The rest of the team around him is just going to have to pick up their game. Perhaps sitting out a game and seeing it from a different perspective, and seeing the other QB's in real game action, was in some ways beneficial to Milroe AND to the rest of the team going forward. The Goat is still the Goat.

Last edited:

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
When Milroe goes into the game he's arguably the best athlete on the field. Kiffin worked magic with Sims and a young Hurts - the KISS principle. Rees was running 4 and 5 WR against Texas for what I don't know. There could a be a reason Kelly didn't take Rees with him to LSU.
Big difference with Simms - he had Amari Cooper to throw to. Hurts also had very good receivers who could make plays on balls that weren't perfectly thrown. Milroe doesn't have that advantage.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Benching Milroe was inevitable after his performance against Texas. The confusing thing is choosing to start Buchner. There is simply no way the staff could look at…that…and say “You know what? Let’s give him a chance”.
I still don't know exactly how things went down with Milroe, but it reminds me a bit of a time that I didn't start a game in high school and vocally complained in front of other players. In response coach sat me for the entire first half.

On the other end, I would wager if was fulfilling a promise as much as anything. You come here, you get a shot at the starting job, he got it... and now that's been done.

Reactions: Con

CrimsonTitles

1st Team
Mar 30, 2015
What’s infuriating is someone who states definitively what he doesn’t know.

I agree with the choice even though I’m not a “Milroe lover” who selected him before the season and has stuck with him no matter what. I was glad Simpson got a chance and thought he did OK against a pathetic defense but know that JM did much better vs a better MTSU team. At the moment TS looks like he would be overmatched physically and mentally vs SEC caliber competition. Just an opinion.

I’ll pull for him just like I would have for TS, though my guess would be that the decision was not hard for CNS.
Did TS and TB not make the most of their snaps against MTSU? As I recall, they did. If we are going to try and make the argument that JM would have performed better based on the MTsU game, then let's also remember that TS and TB both led scoring drives in that game. We really don't know what they would have done with more time. The games aren't comparable. I'm not so sure Milroe would have done any better against USF. What we do know is that the o-line play was better against MTSU.

Reactions: RollTide2U

AWRTR

All-American
Oct 18, 2022
Big difference with Simms - he had Amari Cooper to throw to. Hurts also had very good receivers who could make plays on balls that weren't perfectly thrown. Milroe doesn't have that advantage.
These WR's have done their jobs this year. If it has been catchable they have pretty much caught it. That has meant on several occasions putting themselves in situations to get laid out. They have not been an issue for the team at all. If anything the WR's have been a bright spot.

AWRTR

All-American
Oct 18, 2022
Maybe rolling Milroe out, having him read one receiver, and, if its not there, take off running. Milroe is so dang fast, they might work.
You could give him a couple of guys on the side he rolls out to and maybe one guy going deep. Let him read the levels from shortest to deepest. If he doesn't like any of them then just run. It would put the defenders into a run pass conflict they would have to either stick with their receiver or try to stop the run.

Also a heavy dose of read option.

Reactions: TideEngineer08

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Very rarely did we have 4 WRs and I don't think we EVER ran 5. Even then, that doesn't make it more complex. It's really easy to have a 1 or 2 read playcall even with 4 or 5 WRs. All the grouping does is determine the grouping of the defense (heavy or fast) and the formation determines set, tight or not. Kiffin ran almost exclusively with 3WR sets. We used way more 2WR, 2TE and 1RB in the last three games than anytime post-kiffin.

You're right. I don't know why he tried to force that one. He did ok with same or similar alignment on this

I remember Jeff Rutledge throwing 5 picks against Nebraska.
Not even close to the same thing from a grouping or alignment or route concept standpoint. That play has 3WRs out in the pattern, as well as the RB floating to the flat so 4 in the pattern and just 6 in protection. On the INT we had only 2 in the pattern and us running max protect with 8 guys. This almost perfectly illustrates my point above: the grouping doesn't really simplify the read progression, at least not initially.

2 things I am happy to give JM credit for on that clip though. he stepped into the pocket very well, and he threw a very pretty pass.

That said, other than when stepping up, his eyes locked onto one receiver the entire time. Thankfully it worked and burton was able to run under. There were several times where we had similar looks, but the DB stayed in phase and that long throw wasn't there though, and then what? Both the RB, and the WR in the flat flash open in the clip you posted. When the long route isn't open, or the protection doesn't give him time (the frequency of at least one of those being true seems to greater than not), JM hasn't yet shown the ability to hit the checkdown, or hit the hot route (the WR who came in motion, then was open at the bottom of the screen), when the D is getting pressure quickly which UTw really dialed up once as the game progressed.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.

Latest threads