Pate reacts to Bad Officiating (video)

denver

All-American
Nov 11, 2017
100%...pass interference, holding...called not called etc is a lottery....the USCe call was BS...and decided the game...that crew has been poor for years yet they are still out there. Maybe there isnt enough refs to go around, since starting at youth level they get abused so bad they just drop out of officiating...we are seeing the symptom at the College level...not the disease....but it definitely is going downhill...

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
Incompetence will expedite how quickly AI takes over officiating in sports. So much money is involved.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
The only thing that will really begin to fix this is to make the college refs full time. They'll have to do it similar to the NFL refs.

Its going to have to be centralized with some oversight and actual consequences for horrible results.

It feels like these crews now are just guessing a lot and trying to figure it out on the fly.

Another issue....and it permeates umpiring and refereeing in all sports at all levels....there's always a sense of less working together to make the right call and more trying to go to bat for each other to cover up a missed or bad call.
As a fan, this is the most frustrating thing for me. Look, we know officials are human and they WILL make mistakes and miss calls. But when they do screw up and screw up badly you get nothing but silence from the SEC office and the head of officiating. I hate to say it but Steve Shaw, when he was head of SEC officiating, was the worst. Now he is the national coordinator of officials. It was laughable to me the SEC started a Twitter (now X) for “information or questions” concerning officiating. But when the crap would hit the fan concerning constant incompetence by certain crews, the silence from that account and the SEC office was deafening.
Fans can tolerate the human factor of officiating. What they won‘t tolerate is some of the idiocy we’ve seen by certain crews and, in turn, being ignored when these complaints have merit. You can’t help but think there is a bunch of “good old boy, let me give you cover” on some of this stuff going on.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
And I believe he's 100% right: The bad call in the LSU game cost South Carolina the game.
The same crew cost us the game against Tennessee in 2022 also. It's also the same one that was suspended after Bo Nix did "backwards spike" to stop the clock. Another word for that is FUMBLE. They of course ruled it a pass.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
The same crew cost us the game against Tennessee in 2022 also. It's also the same one that was suspended after Bo Nix did "backwards spike" to stop the clock. Another word for that is FUMBLE. They of course ruled it a pass.
I know and remember but Pate is pointing out something we all know!

The amount of confusion that exists from one crew to another on certain calls like "targeting" is ridiculous and, in general, the lack of consistency is appalling. This is spread across college football in general and while Autry's crew is notorious there's much more of this stuff out there.

I wish Pate would put together a video reel like this every week and maybe some folks would start paying attention!

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
That was also Autrey?!?

That dude is a sorry excuse for a ref...😖

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Yeah. He's the worst one I've ever seen. Sure, there are refs that might have made singular worse calls than his crew, but with Autry you KNOW the game will be decided by the refs 75% of the time.
His crew, in particular, inserts themselves into the game narrative more than any crew I've ever seen.

We've all see this, but usually it exists on lower levels. I saw it all the time in HS basketball, but that's more predicable.

As Pate said, this is a billion $$$ industry and we are depending on weekend warriors that have regular jobs M-F.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Yeah. He's the worst one I've ever seen. Sure, there are refs that might have made singular worse calls than his crew, but with Autry you KNOW the game will be decided by the refs 75% of the time.
Autry is the perfect example of the Peter Principle in play-a person promoted to their level of incompetence. As far as I can tell, the guy never played the game and started his “career“ as a clock operator for middle school games. Not only were they a disaster at SC last Saturday and in Knoxville with us two years ago, they are the same crew that got suspended for a week for the blown Bo Nix “backwards spike fumble non call” against Arkansas. And so incompetent the NCAA awarded him and his crew with CFP Michigan-TCU game.

This is like having your surgeon accidentally operate on the wrong leg and “giving him another go at it because you have two legs they’ll probably get it right this time”.

Autry is director of public works in Okaloosa County, FL. If his crews there perform like his officiating crew on Saturdays then expect if a water main breaks in the middle of a road, they will patch up the road before repairing the pipe…..

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
The Autrey crew was also rewarded with a playoff semi game (Michigan - TCU) the same season they had us in Knoxville.

The people that make the selections for where crews are assigned obviously think this is a good crew. Or....Or.....Autrey has dirt on someone lol.
Or...or...his crew is making some people a lot of money on gambling. The authenticity of college football is already gone. A lot of the enjoyment of watching football is now gone due to horrible rules and officiating. The traditions are keeping people coming...for now.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Or...or...his crew is making some people a lot of money on gambling. The authenticity of college football is already gone. A lot of the enjoyment of watching football is now gone due to horrible rules and officiating. The traditions are keeping people coming...for now.
I'm not a conspiracy person, but occasionally things just make no sense and when that's the only explanation left, well...

They just don't miss calls that often have no impact, but they have a record of changing the outcomes of games, which makes you go "hmmmm."

mdb-tpet

All-SEC
Sep 2, 2004
I’m going to throw an ugly possibility out there, but there are a LOT more legal online gambling resources out there now. And we have documented proof that some refs and players in the past have made the mistake of betting on games they are involved with. When you have such obviously blatant bad calls, something smells really bad.

Reactions: CB4 and teamplayer

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I’m going to throw an ugly possibility out there, but there are a LOT more legal online gambling resources out there now. And we have documented proof that some refs and players in the past have made the mistake of betting on games they are involved with. When you have such obviously blatant bad calls, something smells really bad.
And having a relative in the gambling/gaming industry for a number of years (legally) where he would be in a position to “know”, there is a lot more people than most of us would ever imagine involved in significant wagering that ARE in a position to influence the outcome of a contest.
As an example, let’s say you are a football official but love to the ponies. You are doing it via the back door using a bookie to keep in on the down low. And let’s say you’re terrible with horses and get underwater with this bookie. You don’t think the bookie might let you “even up” by making a few calls a certain way? Or know someone with influence enough to get a coach to “sit on“ a comfortable lead late in a game not to beat a spread?

And it doesn’t have to be horse racing. It could be back room Texas Hold’em or a number of different things.

Just like insider trading on Wall Street, this stuff happens. As a compulsive gambler with over 20 years of clean time under my belt, having spent many years in GA and as a sponsor, you would be surprised.

Reactions: Cruloc

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.

Latest threads