So glad we didn't end up with Norvell as our HC

melvinm

BamaNation Citizen
Oct 12, 2013
I remember when media people started hyping Norvell as a candidate to replace Saban. My first thoughts were please no. I know he parlayed the headlines to increase his salary from 5.5 million in 2023 to $9.875 million this season, but do you think FSU is glad they gave him that huge raise?

M2J

All-American
Jan 28, 2007
Absolutely not.... Couldn't have been a candidate by his crybaby ways after they were left out of the playoffs. Him playing the victim led to this entitled mentality that has ruined his career at this moment

Methylred

Scout Team
Nov 29, 2006
I remember when media people started hyping Norvell as a candidate to replace Saban. My first thoughts were please no. I know he parlayed the headlines to increase his salary from 5.5 million in 2023 to $9.875 million this season, but do you think FSU is glad they gave him that huge raise?
$9.875 million?!

I would have gladly coached FSU to an 0-3 start for a mere 10% of that.

• Emphasis!
Reactions: TideEngineer08

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Saying Norvell was not a serious candidate is disingenuous. Byrne himself said he had conversations, plural, with Norvell

From the outset, Washington's DeBoer and Florida State's Mike Norvell were at the top of Byrne's list. Both had what Byrne was looking for: a proven head coach who had won on a big stage and shown the propensity to develop players. Byrne declined to go into detail about whom he talked to first or his pecking order. But he had serious conversations with both coaches the day after Saban retired..
We later learned that Nick Saban leaned toward DeBoer, saying recently he believed CKD was one of the great young football minds in the sport. I don’t know if that was a deciding factor as we also learned that Greg Byrne had been following CKD’s career for awhile. However, if Coach DeBoer decided to stay in Seattle, we might very well be looking at Coach Norvell as our coach. Yes, we dodged that bullet!

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.

Latest threads