Question: Best individual game performances against Alabama?

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Since you didn't specify which sport... I was in Coleman when Pete Maravich scored 63 points against Bama. On one occasion he picked up his dribble just past the half-court line. the Bama defender backed off and the crowd is yelling "Shoot! Shoot!... He did. Nothing but net.
Bama won the game. :)
I've got a good friend who is a KY alum who says the way teams learned to play PM was to basically let him do his thing without letting the other players add additional scoring. I think he said KY never lost to a PM led team cause 1 couldn't outscore 5.

Garcia 2010
One of the 1st I thought of too and it "all" he ever did. Truly pulled a rabbit out of a hat.

Archie Manning in 1969 at Legion Field. Threw for almost 450 yards and ran for over 100 yards. Remember this was in a time when the premium was placed on running the football.
In an era where QBs were often just another running back and the forward pass was still being developed, those are incredible stats!

I'll add the best performance I ever witnessed in person against Bama was Manziel in 2012. We couldn't tackle him that day and he made us pay over and over.

Reactions: CB4

jabcmb

All-American
Feb 1, 2006
Birmingham, AL
I was there as well; he scored 69; and lost. And; there was a heckuva fight after the game.
One of two athletes during that time we would go to the game early just to watch them warm up. The other was Ray Guy. Of course, with Pete, he might warm up or he might not.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
Archie Manning in 1969 at Legion Field. Threw for almost 450 yards and ran for over 100 yards. Remember this was in a time when the premium was placed on running the football.
I was there that night. It was a TV game starting late and everyone was fired up. Manning was incredible that night and I have always said that neither of his sons were the athlete that their ole man was. It is hard to believe but Scott Hunter had a heck of a game as well and won the game with a late touchdown throw with the final ending something like 33 - 31 Bama.

Reactions: CB4

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Hate it but Nick Marshall and Sammie Coates tore us up that one year. We won the game so less memorable in a way but they went off. 400+ yards for Marshall and 200+ for Coates.

Also surprised no one has said Joe Burrow. He killed us in his Heisman year

Reactions: CB4 and Con

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Hate it but Nick Marshall and Sammie Coates tore us up that one year. We won the game so less memorable in a way but they went off. 400+ yards for Marshall and 200+ for Coates.

Also surprised no one has said Joe Burrow. He killed us in his Heisman year
Blake Sims did have nearly 500 yards passing on them in that game though. Amari Cooper, whom Auburn could never cover, had around 200 receiving. That was the wildest Iron Bowl I can remember. 55-44. But we largely shut them down in the second half.

BamaFan6462

Aug 24, 2023
Browning Nagle.
1991 Fiesta Bowl.

Lit Bama up.
20-33-451-3TD-1INT
That game probably got Nagle drafted into the NFL. I don’t think he had any games like that before or afterwards. He literally couldn’t miss that day.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Flutie was great in that game, but I still think, if Kerry Goode doesn't go down after 2 quarters, we still win.
He was unstoppable in that game before the knee injury.

That injury and the season ending one Brodie Cryole suffered stick out in my mind as examples of how one injury changes the trajectory of a football season.

Reactions: Superdad and Con

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.