BREAKING NCAA Capitulates... No more NIL investigations

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Guard Rails Off, Wallets Open.
Now I look for teams to approach the better QBs, WRs, and make them an offer that will be considerably higher.
We are officially one step closer to being Minor League Teams for the NFL.
I also believe we are one step closer to withdrawing from the NCAA.
Been happening...😎

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Just thinking out loud here:

The NCAA was powerless over NIL before they admitted it. This just means that they publicly acknowledge their predicament. IOW, dropping all NIL investigations doesn't really change much.

It's not that the guardrails have been removed....they were never there in the first place.

Next move? Scholarships become a lot less meaningful. What I mean is this: It costs an in-state student about $35K a year to attend the University of Alabama. For out of state, it's about $52K. While I think a lot of the NIL numbers we hear are greatly inflated, even if the truth is half of that, cost of attendance is a burp in a hurricane for the NIL package.

"Son, we're out of scholarships. But that doesn't matter. We can give you an NIL package worth $500K a year. You can pay for tuition, room and board out of that, play on a team with a chance to win championships, and get ready for The Show."

So you effectively have the total roster limit as your cap on "scholarships." The total roster limit used to be 105, though I confess I haven't kept up with the current cap.

Yes, I know the NCAA has ostensible jurisdiction over who specifically counts against the old limit of 85. Putting on my best lawyer cap, "You're telling me that even though my client receives no aid from the University, he can't walk on like any other student, be on the team (and therefore earn his NIL money) precisely because he's good enough to get playing time?" One more defeat for NCAA governance.

Best case is that a collective bargaining agreement brings some consistency and sanity to the situation. Yes, that means a players' union and a management committee. And how you address "outside income" would be interesting. IOW, a member of the UAW can earn money from activities outside of building cars. Why can't a member of the players' union earn money from stuff outside of athletics? But I think we could get there, especially regarding the transfer portal.

Given that there aren't (and really never were) limits on NIL, the portal strikes me as the major hurdle. It also strikes me as something the collective bargaining agreement could effectively address. The NFL does, so why couldn't college?

Worst case is that fans get fed up and stop opening checkbooks. That has some nasty downstream implications rippling far beyond big time football and basketball. If they don't exist, or no longer gin the income they currently do, every single collegiate athletic department becomes a huge cash drain -- and the consequences will affect some highly politically sensitive constituencies.

A lot of so-called Olympic sports would get reduced or eliminated altogether because they can't sustain themselves financially. So a lot of tennis, golf, swimming, softball, crew, soccer, etc. athletes lose scholarships. And at least half of them will be women.

Additionally, without the big paydays from playing "buy a win" games against the elite teams, smaller college football dries up. Now you have dozens of G-5 and lesser programs out of business and thousands of formerly scholarshipped athletes out of financial aid. Many of them the very minorities that the whole concept has been promoted to help.

So I don't think the NCAA dropping all pretense of governance is that big a deal. They haven't had the ability to govern anything since SCOTUS ruled 9-0 on the O'Bannon case. This just accelerates the end game.

What that end game is will be fascinating to watch.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
NCAA announces it is ceasing NIL investigations.
The NCAA just became the worlds largest event management group. Big decisions will now be made like who can bring the potato salad?

If it was only a 90% free for all before, it`s now 100%.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
The sky is the limit.
Good grief, I just realized one dedicated billionaire could corner the market on 5 star recruits.
They could even pay players to not play for the opposition. Load the bench up with five stars to keep them from going somewhere else.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Truly a throwback to the wild, wild, west. The NIL will expand and the transfer portal will be open 24/7/365. Players will be able to transfer at will, maybe even after the 1st half of a game and be on the roster of the other team the next week. I've seen enough. Brett, I think you potato salad comment should be the post of the decade.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Just thinking out loud here:

The NCAA was powerless over NIL before they admitted it. This just means that they publicly acknowledge their predicament. IOW, dropping all NIL investigations doesn't really change much.

It's not that the guardrails have been removed....they were never there in the first place.

Next move? Scholarships become a lot less meaningful. What I mean is this: It costs an in-state student about $35K a year to attend the University of Alabama. For out of state, it's about $52K. While I think a lot of the NIL numbers we hear are greatly inflated, even if the truth is half of that, cost of attendance is a burp in a hurricane for the NIL package.

"Son, we're out of scholarships. But that doesn't matter. We can give you an NIL package worth $500K a year. You can pay for tuition, room and board out of that, play on a team with a chance to win championships, and get ready for The Show."

So you effectively have the total roster limit as your cap on "scholarships." The total roster limit used to be 105, though I confess I haven't kept up with the current cap.

Yes, I know the NCAA has ostensible jurisdiction over who specifically counts against the old limit of 85. Putting on my best lawyer cap, "You're telling me that even though my client receives no aid from the University, he can't walk on like any other student, be on the team (and therefore earn his NIL money) precisely because he's good enough to get playing time?" One more defeat for NCAA governance.

Best case is that a collective bargaining agreement brings some consistency and sanity to the situation. Yes, that means a players' union and a management committee. And how you address "outside income" would be interesting. IOW, a member of the UAW can earn money from activities outside of building cars. Why can't a member of the players' union earn money from stuff outside of athletics? But I think we could get there, especially regarding the transfer portal.

Given that there aren't (and really never were) limits on NIL, the portal strikes me as the major hurdle. It also strikes me as something the collective bargaining agreement could effectively address. The NFL does, so why couldn't college?

Worst case is that fans get fed up and stop opening checkbooks. That has some nasty downstream implications rippling far beyond big time football and basketball. If they don't exist, or no longer gin the income they currently do, every single collegiate athletic department becomes a huge cash drain -- and the consequences will affect some highly politically sensitive constituencies.

A lot of so-called Olympic sports would get reduced or eliminated altogether because they can't sustain themselves financially. So a lot of tennis, golf, swimming, softball, crew, soccer, etc. athletes lose scholarships. And at least half of them will be women.

Additionally, without the big paydays from playing "buy a win" games against the elite teams, smaller college football dries up. Now you have dozens of G-5 and lesser programs out of business and thousands of formerly scholarshipped athletes out of financial aid. Many of them the very minorities that the whole concept has been promoted to help.

So I don't think the NCAA dropping all pretense of governance is that big a deal. They haven't had the ability to govern anything since SCOTUS ruled 9-0 on the O'Bannon case. This just accelerates the end game.

What that end game is will be fascinating to watch.
What you’re saying is we are watching the golden goose get cut open?

Perfect.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
I would like to see a guy transfer at halftime to the other team...

Truly a throwback to the wild, wild, west. The NIL will expand and the transfer portal will be open 24/7/365. Players will be able to transfer at will, maybe even after the 1st half of a game and be on the roster of the other team the next week. I've seen enough. Brett, I think you potato salad comment should be the post of the decade.

• Haha
Reactions: Crimson Steel

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
What you’re saying is we are watching the golden goose get cut open?

Perfect.
The goose is already cut open, and has been since O’Bannon.

The question is whether it’s because it’ll be eaten by agents for dinner, or it’s just being prepped for major surgery.

Last edited:
Reactions: AWRTR

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
This is like WWE when you find out in the ring you end up having to wrestle your tag team partner...

Rick Pitino said that he expects good players whose teams don't make the NCAA tourney to immediately transfer to teams that are making the tourney in the near future.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
And just think, instead of offering a vision of the future, the NCAA - because of its fear of lawsuits over the last 15 years - has decided to give in to the anarchy. With the SEC & Big10 being the only rational actors in this mess, its no wonder they're grabbing the reigns, forging a rational path forward and saying get on board if you dare or get run over.
You can only rule if you have subjects.

The NCAA's inconsistent decision-making and bullying turned the proletariat against them to the point of legal mutiny.

And yet one consistent motif in the TV debates of the early 1950s is the realization that, "We MUST have oversight of the sport." Everyone agreed on that FACT even if they disagreed with the APPLICATION.

But given what FOX and ESPN did to NASCAR, get ready for the sports version of "Friday the 13th, Part II."

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
The sky is the limit.
Good grief, I just realized one dedicated billionaire could corner the market on 5 star recruits.
They could even pay players to not play for the opposition. Load the bench up with five stars to keep them from going somewhere else.
Back before scholarship limits. Alabama signed more than a few players to keep from playing against them in the Alabama Auburn games. Many early NCAA rules were the result of Coach Bryant doing what was legal, so the NCAA put limits on players per team. This was supposed to create parity. Didn't work.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
Although the courts have made it clear that at least for now the NCAA can't do anything to control NIL, I don't see anything in the recent decisions limiting the ability of the NCAA to regulate transfers.

So, the NCAA could at least regulate the transfer windows to like once a year in order to stave off some of the insanity we're currently seeing in terms of constant mobility.

I guess the question is whether the NCAA cares about doing anything beyond preserving its revenue stream from football from this point forward.

BhamToTexas

All-SEC
Dec 25, 2020
What is stopping a superstar kid from demanding a huge payday on Friday in order to play a big game the next day?

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
Tell me, what exactly changes? They were not policing this stuff anyway.

Oh, sure, they were trying to come in after the fact and put the genie back in the bottle but, of course the lawyers cried foul. The time to create guidelines and exert some control was 3 years ago when the courts forced the NCAA's hands. You can't come back 3 years later and say "you guys have broken rules that we never created". Screw the NCAA, I hope this is really the end of this organization.

As the great Capt. James T. Kirk said, "Let them die!"

AWRTR

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2022
Although the courts have made it clear that at least for now the NCAA can't do anything to control NIL, I don't see anything in the recent decisions limiting the ability of the NCAA to regulate transfers.

So, the NCAA could at least regulate the transfer windows to like once a year in order to stave off some of the insanity we're currently seeing in terms of constant mobility.

I guess the question is whether the NCAA cares about doing anything beyond preserving its revenue stream from football from this point forward.
If they try to limit the transfer window in a significant way that will be challenged as well, and I suspect the NCAA will lose. They are killing the goose slowly.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.