BREAKING NCAA Capitulates... No more NIL investigations

JohnD

1st Team
Dec 22, 2003
NCAA still limits rosters. That's about all. I'm sure some schools are going to start bending the rules on what determines a "walk-on" versus a scholarship player. So the NCAA or other organization better start looking at how to manage "participation" like the NFL manages an active roster.. Otherwise Ohio State will eventually have 105 scholarship quality players. Combine something like roster management with collective bargaining or contracts, and this may keep college football out of the ditch.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ole Man Dan

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
Eventually you'll have 3 or 4 teams playing it out for the natty every year and ratings will tank as the drama is all removed. Even the NFL has ways to keep rosters balanced for competition. Then the TV people stop writing checks. that's then the presidents all come together and put a salary cap down. Only question is will it happen fast or slow.

Reactions: teamplayer

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
If they try to limit the transfer window in a significant way that will be challenged as well, and I suspect the NCAA will lose. They are killing the goose slowly.
I don’t see it as involving the same kind of legal questions as NIL.

That being said, at this point the whole thing needs to be blown up and reconfigured from the bottom up anyways.

The NCAA had its chance and totally blew it.

Time for a new governing structure.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
Eventually you'll have 3 or 4 teams playing it out for the natty every year and ratings will tank as the drama is all removed. Even the NFL has ways to keep rosters balanced for competition. Then the TV people stop writing checks. that's then the presidents all come together and put a salary cap down. Only question is will it happen fast or slow.
It hasn’t really been too different during the playoffs.

BamaFossil

All-American
Jun 3, 2008
Williamsburg, VA
The schools with Texas-size money are Harvard... Yale... the Ivies. Harvard could put 85 of the best players in football (also basketball... baseball...) every year on a floor of $1M per year retainer (considerably more for QBs, skill positions, starters, etc.) and the cost would be little more than a roundoff error in their net worth. Harvard vs. Yale for the 2035 collegiate championship! o_O

Reactions: dtgreg

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
The schools with Texas-size money are Harvard... Yale... the Ivies. Harvard could put 85 of the best players in football (also basketball... baseball...) every year on a floor of $1M per year retainer (considerably more for QBs, skill positions, starters, etc.) and the cost would be little more than a roundoff error in their net worth. Harvard vs. Yale for the 2035 collegiate championship! o_O
Would they be required to attend classes...?:rolleyes:

Reactions: dtgreg

dtgreg

All-American
Jul 24, 2000
Tuscaloosa
www.electricmonkeywrench.com
They decided a hundred years ago they wouldn't provide athletic scholarships. They are content to play in their tiny, exclusive sandbox.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
Eh it was a good run. At this point we need to get serious about coaching contracts and the seat sales to fund contracts. University needs to redirect the tide pride “donation” and confession profits right into Yea Alabama. If we are going to compete with the programs with big $$$ boosters, we need to get creative.

CrimsonTitles

1st Team
Mar 30, 2015
This is what happens when the NCAA is unable to police their own organization because players are able to sue because "rules are unfair". I don't know where we go from here, because any governing body is going to have the same issue

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
In this environment, all schools should cut the coaching salaries by 75% and reallocate those funds to NIL deals for players. That's all that matters now. Obviously, contracts will need to be shred to handle this, but hey, it's NIL season, contracts smontracts.
Geez, I would respond, but I just don't know what to say about all of this. I guess when a recruit shows up now it will just be "here's the pin to your bank account and keys to your car". It's just amazing how fast the powers that be lost control of everything.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
This is a legal issue. Has been since O’Bannon.

I’ve said for a long time that collective bargaining is the only solution. As I’ve thought about it more, collective bargaining would have little impact on NIL — there are just too many ways to make money outside of football, and there’s no way the courts would forbid any of those.

But it can have an impact on the transfer portal and roster caps – scholarshipped or not. Which I think is actually the bigger problem — essentially unrestricted free agency at any time in the year.

The NFL and the NFLPA have negotiated roster limits and limits on movement among teams. There’s no reason that collegiate analogues can’t do the same.

No, it’s not the same as pre-O’Bannon — might as well grieve because we can’t see live T-Rexes. I think it’s the best we can hope for.

Last edited:

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
If they try to limit the transfer window in a significant way that will be challenged as well, and I suspect the NCAA will lose. They are killing the goose slowly.
The best solution from the different colleges standpoint would be a Portal time of 4 weeks after all the games and championship games are played. (Maybe February) I would do away with the players using the Portal when a coach leaves. February would be late enough that most Hiring and Firing's should be done This way coaches would know what players they will have for the next season.
It ain't perfect, but it's off the top of my head. I might say something different if I had more knowledge...

Reactions: BamaNation

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Never going to happen. HARVARD DOESN'T SEE VALUE IN FOOTBALL.
I ASSUME YALE ALSO HAS EQUAL DISINTREST.

If Harvard and Yale were interested in bigtime football, they would have quality coaches and teams even now... They don't.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Tell me, what exactly changes? They were not policing this stuff anyway.

Oh, sure, they were trying to come in after the fact and put the genie back in the bottle but, of course the lawyers cried foul. The time to create guidelines and exert some control was 3 years ago when the courts forced the NCAA's hands. You can't come back 3 years later and say "you guys have broken rules that we never created". Screw the NCAA, I hope this is really the end of this organization.

As the great Capt. James T. Kirk said, "Let them die!"
Replace them with what? There has to be a sanctioning body. Alabama , Tennessee are the NCAA. At the start of this, the NCAA proclaimed you can’t use NIL to recruit players to your university. Every school in the NCAA knows money, in any form can’t be used as a recruiting tool. Those rules have been around for decades. Repackaging a money enticement as NIL is still the same just under a different name. If schools don’t like the rules, change them. Don’t cry foul when you are busted for refusing to follow them. Worse yet, don’t get your state to fight your battles for you.

JohnD

1st Team
Dec 22, 2003
Never going to happen. HARVARD DOESN'T SEE VALUE IN FOOTBALL.
I ASSUME YALE ALSO HAS EQUAL DISINTREST.
That's probably why they are so rich. And I would imagine they are not interested in expanding their enrollment to the maximum either, like a lot of Universities are. Their graduates will no longer be elite if everybody gets in that want's to come.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
As a second part of my post, if the B1G and SEC form a super league for football. How would it be administrated? A body of both leagues, the conference offices or the university administrations? Would you allow a school like Tennessee, Texas AM in the new league . Schools that knowingly disregarded recruiting rules, because they didn’t agree with them?

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
Ummm.. endowments don't work that way. Ivys & the like use this money for academic support, endowed chairs & professorships, & free tuition to anyone who is accepted having a family income <$100k. Totally separate from athletic funds.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.