Saban on NIL during Capitol Hill NIL Roundtable (video)

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
Think about that though......some NFL coaches have told Saban the kids are coming to them less developed and with less propensity to overcome adversity.

And Saban mentions the numbers....if you transfer you have a 20% less chance to graduate and kids are transferring multiple times.

This whole thing is not only hurting college athletics....its further destroying young people. They aren't developing into adults they are being allowed to continue to be babies. That isn't just happening in college athletics, but that's a discussion for another board.

Jun 29, 2023
Where the land meets the sky
The goal of post-secondary school is to prepare you for a career. You can intern, work jobs associated with your major and career aspirations, etc.... to prepare yourself. Some pay no money and only experience, while others pay money. The market is what creates value and our choices control the market. WE are to blame for the market creation. I don't like the direction of the sport, but it has evolved into our monster.

Last edited:
Reactions: dtgreg

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Dang. He still has tons of available coaching left in him, and this NIL is the straw that broke the camel's back so to speak. I don't blame him, but doggone it ticks me off.
It is infuriating to me.

While he is, without much debate, the greatest of all-time, what 5 to 10 more seasons would have done for his career numbers would have been amazing. He was 292-71-1. If he averages 11 wins per year (which is not off the pace he set at Alabama) for 5 more seasons he reaches 347 wins. If he coaches 10 more seasons at 11 wins per year, he's at 402 wins.

Joe Paterno is still credited with 409 wins. At 402 wins, only Joe Paterno, Eddie Robinson, and Joe Gagliardi would have been ahead of him. Maybe he tapers off the last few years and misses 400 wins. Still it is maddening that he didn't get the chance.

rolltide7854

All-American
Aug 20, 2007
Birmingham, Ala
I wonder what the legacy will be of the 2023 team. Will it be known as a team that greatly improved during the season or the team that drove the GOAT out of the game having to deal with their whining about getting paid and wanted guaranteed playing times or I'm leaving.

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
I wonder what the legacy will be of the 2023 team. Will it be known as a team that greatly improved during the season or the team that drove the GOAT out of the game having to deal with their whining about getting paid and wanted guaranteed playing times or I'm leaving.
It'll be the latter for me. The mentality this team had was on full display going into that USF game.

2023 team mentality was the straw that broke the camels back. Saban and Mrs. Saban both had to question why they were doing it anymore. It ruined it all for them.

But go ahead and tell me the team didn't quit in the USF game....no, not everyone....but a good number of them did.

Hopefully DeBoers comments about there needed to be a purge with all the transfer.....are true and we've turned a corner with team attitude.

If not, what's the point of watching the train wreck that is college athletics.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
It'll be the latter for me. The mentality this team had was on full display going into that USF game.

2023 team mentality was the straw that broke the camels back. Saban and Mrs. Saban both had to question why they were doing it anymore. It ruined it all for them.

But go ahead and tell me the team didn't quit in the USF game....no, not everyone....but a good number of them did.

Hopefully DeBoers comments about there needed to be a purge with all the transfer.....are true and we've turned a corner with team attitude.

If not, what's the point of watching the train wreck that is college athletics.
Yeah, Dallas Turner said in an interview that the team became more player led in Saban's final seasons and I guess he meant especially this past season. Sort of confirms some of the rumors that the players may have given Saban somewhat of an ultimatum after the USF game by showing their lack of effort. Naturally Turner thought a team being more player led was a good thing but I think it was generally bad. That's not Saban's style at all, however when he's faced with a possible mutiny there are no good choices.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
idiocy deleted
Jesus Christ give it a rest. When did he complain about kids getting paid. Open your ears, he said he was all for NIL. HAS ALWAYS SAID THAT.
And Kids have ran up and down fields playing games for over a hundred years, driving cars at 300 mph, climbing rocks to the sun, surfing just a few feet above jagged coral in 20 foot waves.

Last edited by a moderator:

64 Grad

BamaNation Citizen
Oct 29, 2023
I do think the trajectory of paying college football and basketball coaches reaching the present obscene level is a contributing factor in the creation of NIL and the pay for play schemes we are now seeing. It is a mess and will evolve. How this ends up over time is anybody's guess. Am I right in thinking the schools do not control the money being paid to the players? Players being paid make them employees of somebody. Once a player is paid they should not be eligible for a scholarship. Since people want the government to set up rules to operate under maybe they should just set up a system where each school can run a slush fund any way they like. A few schools have done well with a similar system in the past until they got caught. Some schools never got caught or paid a minimum price. Institute a few governing rules, which address antitrust, taxes and other areas of need, overseen by a federal commission . Do away with the NCAA.

Reactions: dtgreg

Alogan1983

Suspended
Feb 12, 2024
Jesus Christ give it a rest. When did he complain about kids getting paid. Open your ears, he said he was all for NIL. HAS ALWAYS SAID THAT.
And Kids have ran up and down fields playing games for over a hundred years, driving cars at 300 mph, climbing rocks to the sun, surfing just a few feet above jagged coral in 20 foot waves.
Hey, give em' a chunk of your next pay check if you want. They'll gladly take it.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.