Saban on NIL during Capitol Hill NIL Roundtable (video)

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
I don't care who it ****** off, but Saban made a ton of money to coach kids to run up and down a field in a meaningless sport (it's not life or death) and then complains about kids getting paid for it.

The rich people are the ones paying them. They don't have to. But they are. And by those kids running on that field and damaging their own brains and bodies, they are supporting a whole lot of other kids at the University.

Saban made a fortune. So, sorry but not sorry.
Saban thinks it's OK for the players to get paid but when they become so obsessed with it that they no longer have loyalty to the team or loyalty to him it becomes a problem. Over the years Saban spent an enormous amount of time recruiting elite players to come to Bama. He felt honored that they committed to Bama and wanted to play for him. Then suddenly the kids don't care about playing for him anymore. They don't care about all his championships won or the fact that he is considered the GOAT. They don't care about working hard to earn a starting spot if they are not yet a starter. They are only concerned about the highest bidder out there. If you're Saban you have to feel very offended at that point.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
I don't care who it ****** off, but Saban made a ton of money to coach kids to run up and down a field in a meaningless sport (it's not life or death) and then complains about kids getting paid for it.

The rich people are the ones paying them. They don't have to. But they are. And by those kids running on that field and damaging their own brains and bodies, they are supporting a whole lot of other kids at the University.

Saban made a fortune. So, sorry but not sorry.
You again? Lol..bye..

Reactions: Rush

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I wonder what the legacy will be of the 2023 team. Will it be known as a team that greatly improved during the season or the team that drove the GOAT out of the game having to deal with their whining about getting paid and wanted guaranteed playing times or I'm leaving.
I have very few fond memories of the last three seasons, much less 2023.

Other than the two SEC championships, it was a burden to watch this program. And now I fully understand why.

CB72

3rd Team
Dec 14, 2022
Lewis Smith Lake
Jesus Christ give it a rest. When did he complain about kids getting paid. Open your ears, he said he was all for NIL. HAS ALWAYS SAID THAT.
And Kids have ran up and down fields playing games for over a hundred years, driving cars at 300 mph, climbing rocks to the sun, surfing just a few feet above jagged coral in 20 foot waves.
He sounds like that dude who called in rambling same stuff on Pauls show...

64 Grad

BamaNation Citizen
Oct 29, 2023
The paradigm has changed for college athletics. I think you have to consider it a business now. At this point the government will get more involved and they will want their fair share. Look how the cost of higher education has gone up the last few decades. All you have to do is look at the number of administrative employees verses professors to see the problem. A lot of schools now are more interested in the income than they are education. There has been several things at work to cause this. A similar thing will happen to college sports. If I were graduating from high school today I would look hard at an alternative to a college degree to make a living. As an Alabama graduate and life long fan my interest has definitely declined recently. How far is goes I am not sure at this time, but it will never be the same for me. I think my age contributes to this. I hope the future of college athletics turns out well.

LeBron47

1st Team
Aug 30, 2007
Whether Congress has the power or will to make legislation that will save CFB remains to be seen, however this response from CNS is an absolutely historical moment as to why College athletics exists or should exist.

CNS should be the head of the NCAA or another association that could be an outgrowth of Big Ten and SEC collaborations. If that would happen you could see a balanced approach to NIL and transfer situation which would change the landscape of what has become the “Wild West”.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Since SCOTUS ruled in favor of O'Bannon 9-0, this has been a legal issue. It's not one any new or existing organization can change, no matter who is at the head of it.

Federal legislation might help, but it would be challenged in court about a nanosecond after it was passed. Unless and until the solution passes the courts, it's old men yelling at clouds.

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
Since SCOTUS ruled in favor of O'Bannon 9-0, this has been a legal issue. It's not one any new or existing organization can change, no matter who is at the head of it.

Federal legislation might help, but it would be challenged in court about a nanosecond after it was passed. Unless and until the solution passes the courts, it's old men yelling at clouds.
muppets-old.gif

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
I knew the day that judge decided to pay college football players that Saban's career wouldn't last much longer. He was in his 70's so even without this legislation his career wouldn't have lasted too much longer but the job he did this year was outstanding so he clearly had about 4 or 5 years left IF the game was the same. but his motivation for working so hard was always the players, turning boys into men, building champions and championships. his secret was basically work ethic. Now it's like a dysfunctional pre salary cap NFL. My guess is you'll see more coaches leave college for the NFL every year. I mean the coach that won the natty left for the NFL. I realize there were circumstances, but even without that you're going to see guys bail on this free for all.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
It is semantics, but he is 100% against them being straight up paid by the collectives. He's said he's 100% for them earning money via the NIL through things like endorsements, autograph sales, etc.

He IS against pay for play though which is where we are today.
Show me that quote? I wll show you and the other guy this. -

Saban offered a thundering message to the college sports world: Pay the players — but with limitations.

“I’m for student-athletes being able to share in some of this revenue,” he said. “The No. 1 solution is if we could have some kind of a revenue-sharing proposition that did not make student-athletes employees. That may be the long-term solution.

“I don’t want them to be employees, but I want them to share in the revenue some kind of way.”
]
- Yahoo Sports

Anyone that cares about football should be against players being straight up paid by the collectives. You give boosters that much power, only bad things will happen.

I really don't know what Nick did to some of you guys where all of your posts are the sane negativity all the time. If i didn't know better , I would just say MOO!

Last edited:

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
Feels like you need to go take a deep breath.

You want to back track on the100%.?
This is from this week's testamony in front of congress which you apparently haven't watch or care to read
Nick Saban rails on pay-for-play, how chaos contributed to retirement (msn.com)

“The whole idea of boosters being able to contribute to collectives which really establishes a pay-for-play model,” Saban said seated next to Byrne who was wearing a pin with the logo of Alabama’s official collective on his suit jacket. “I don’t think is in the best interest of college athletics in the future, nor the participants — the student-athletes themselves. It doesn’t enhance them creating value for their future like we were all dedicated to for many, many years.”
You think all those CNS quotes from when he was a coach in this system are relevant? What was he supposed to say when he was competing for players? That he was against giving them collective money? 🤔

EDIT - look who is the one deleting what they posted and backtracking :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
I know Saban cares about the game but I wish he would not lend his NIL to this mess. There is no upside for him. He made multi-generational wealth off the game when the labor inputs were free. He dominated the sport because he was the ultimate agent to the NFL. I know he supports players receiving money, he can't oppose it because he has benefitted immense from the old model.

Ultimately, 2 models will have to develop where they player can opt-in to the NIL model of their choosing subject to certain restrictions.

Reactions: B1GTide

FF4bama

1st Team
Sep 13, 2012
I know Saban cares about the game but I wish he would not lend his NIL to this mess. There is no upside for him. He made multi-generational wealth off the game when the labor inputs were free. He dominated the sport because he was the ultimate agent to the NFL. I know he supports players receiving money, he can't oppose it because he has benefitted immense from the old model.

Ultimately, 2 models will have to develop where they player can opt-in to the NIL model of their choosing subject to certain restrictions.
Who else can speak directly to the issues created by the portal and play-for-pay? None of the other coaches who left because of NIL and unrestricted free agency are as respected and revered as Coach Saban. No current coaches can afford to say anything for fear of their players walking out on them. If you're saying that Saban has made too much money coaching to be a part of this discussion, who does that leave?

Reactions: rolltide7854

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.