Saban on NIL during Capitol Hill NIL Roundtable (video)

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I don't think he would have coached another 10 years regardless and getting to 400 (even if so) would have been tough as he got older.

I don't think the overall wins total matters as much as the NC to seasons coached.

Had he not spent so much time in the pros imagine what his win totals could have been. But, he soaked up all the knowledge he had from all of his influencers and coaches and he "cashed it in" so to speak after just 28 seasons as a college HC and won over 80% of his games.

And when he figured out the NC winning formula starting with LSU in 2003, in the next 20 years he won 7 NCs. Simply amazing!!!
There is just no way to know. He loved doing what he did. And they ruined it for him.

The wins total thing is important to me, in a way, but I realize it’s not to most others. I agree the NC totals are the most impressive feat.

Reactions: B1GTide

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
There is just no way to know. He loved doing what he did. And they ruined it for him.

The wins total thing is important to me, in a way, but I realize it’s not to most others. I agree the NC totals are the most impressive feat.
Wins totals mostly amount to guys staying long past their ability to effectively lead. But a guy like Smart could really change that. He started young, and is coaching in an era with far more games than in earlier eras in the sport. We could soon have teams with 17 wins in a season - 16 is almost assured.

Reactions: TideEngineer08

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Wins totals mostly amount to guys staying long past their ability to effectively lead. But a guy like Smart could really change that. He started young, and is coaching in an era with far more games than in earlier eras in the sport. We could soon have teams with 17 wins in a season - 16 is almost assured.
That's true. I think Coach Saban might have changed that. He did just prove he would not stay longer than he felt he could be effective. It's just the trigger point were rules changes, not his age.

I guess I would have just liked seeing him get to 300. It would have happened next season.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.