Transfer Portal 2023-2024...

Status
Not open for further replies.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Again, it’s not supposed to be tied to the school. We all know it is, but this was the first time I ever heard anyone directly involved say it was. In essence, “Hey NCAA! (Fill in your own string of profanity)”.
So, what I was saying was, I can’t wait for some player to sue. Several grounds - if he signed a contract saying he had to play for the school, direct violation of the rule. Of course if he signed it, a lot of other issues come into play. If contract DIDN’T say that, they couldn’t cut off his money because it’s his NIL no matter who’s jersey he’s wearing.
I just want this all to get as messy as possible.
The one way around this seems to be requiring appearances locally. I'm sure some kids may try to still make those appearances but most wouldn't especially in season

Easttexastide

Sep 10, 2023
Again, it’s not supposed to be tied to the school. We all know it is, but this was the first time I ever heard anyone directly involved say it was. In essence, “Hey NCAA! (Fill in your own string of profanity)”.
So, what I was saying was, I can’t wait for some player to sue. Several grounds - if he signed a contract saying he had to play for the school, direct violation of the rule. Of course if he signed it, a lot of other issues come into play. If contract DIDN’T say that, they couldn’t cut off his money because it’s his NIL no matter who’s jersey he’s wearing.
I just want this all to get as messy as possible.
I think it's tied to zip code to get around pay for play. At least the first classes
Of 2022 were.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I think it's tied to zip code to get around pay for play. At least the first classes
Of 2022 were.
That seems like the most logical and easiest way to get around "pay for play". I've stated earlier, the NIL and transfer portal landscape is entirely leveraged by the players. I don't see any structure or avenues of recourse for the schools if/when a student decides to jump ship for more money. I'm not sure how long this format can continue without materially impacting the product on the field.

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011
A commentator from On3 said that he believes Bama might add double digit players from the portal in a few weeks. I know some players might leave after A Day, but that seems like a high number of players to bring in. I have no idea what the scholarship count is right now. Any thoughts?

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
A commentator from On3 said that he believes Bama might add double digit players from the portal in a few weeks. I know some players might leave after A Day, but that seems like a high number of players to bring in. I have no idea what the scholarship count is right now. Any thoughts?
Josh Pate's video refers to the possibility of some transfers.

Double digits sound a lot but this is the new era when it'll probably become a regular thing.

But Pate was suggesting Bama could make some waves in the portal.

Reactions: Ole Man Dan

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Unless Alabama loses a lot to the portal in the spring, there isn't room for that many more players. Portal or not, 85 is still a hard limit come August.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Unless Alabama loses a lot to the portal in the spring, there isn't room for that many more players. Portal or not, 85 is still a hard limit come August.
I think some are thinking the spring portal opening will have a lot of movement from Bama.

It would certainly make sense for a program with a new coach who has now had the chance to see what was left on the Bama roster.

Reactions: B1GTide

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
With NIL, is it possible to have players getting paid but not getting a scholarship, thus opening up scholarships for players who otherwise might not get as much NIL?

Are we headed for bizarro land where the script is flipped to the point that the best players don't get scholarships and lesser players do?

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
With NIL, is it possible to have players getting paid but not getting a scholarship, thus opening up scholarships for players who otherwise might not get as much NIL?

Are we headed for bizarro land where the script is flipped to the point that the best players don't get scholarships and lesser players do?
Same thought!!!

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I think we'll lose a few. I wouldn't be surprised if we lose some Edge guys specifically because of scheme change + we've recruited really well. I also think Lonergan might be gone since he's now seemingly been passed by Mack.

Overall I think we lose some but I think those players will mostly be guys who just don't fit anymore because of coaching/scheme changes. I don't think we lose a lot of important guys like we did at first in Amos/Downs.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
I think we'll lose a few. I wouldn't be surprised if we lose some Edge guys specifically because of scheme change + we've recruited really well. I also think Lonergan might be gone since he's now seemingly been passed by Mack.

Overall I think we lose some but I think those players will mostly be guys who just don't fit anymore because of coaching/scheme changes. I don't think we lose a lot of important guys like we did at first in Amos/Downs.
I'm curious, where are you getting that from...?:unsure:

Reactions: JustNeedMe81

BamaSully

1st Team
Oct 13, 1999
Jackson, TN
I'm curious, where are you getting that from...?:unsure:
Me too!!!

If I had to bet on it, I’d say the real QB depth chart - the one that we will never hear about which is very fluid and only exists in the heads of the coaches - is probably about like this…

QB1 - Milroe until and unless someone else looks better in practice between now and the first game

QB2 - Simpson OR Lonergan OR Mack - whoever looks best between now and the first game

I can’t for the life of me understand how or why any objective football fan could convince themselves that any spot is taken at this point. Defeats the whole purpose of practice!

Reactions: NoNC4Tubs
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.