Transfer Portal 2023-2024...

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
It is possible that the kid (Proctor) is confused and having a tough time deciding what he really wants to do regardless of the NIL and the transfer rules. He is young. I transferred after my sophomore year (a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away) and regretted it before I even left the campus but there was no option for going back. I have no idea if he is getting more money one way or the other.
It happens.

Bur can you imagine being a future NFL star and everyone wanting to direct/manage your life...?:rolleyes:

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
He had his best game vs UGA too. He arguably was our best OL guy in that game.

He's going to be good.
I remember us tearing into Ryan Kelly his sophomore year and saying his back-up was better (red headed kid but can't remember his name). By the time Ryan was a senior he was a 1st team All American and a 1st round NFL draft choice. Maturity and experience are an amazing thing.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
It is possible that the kid (Proctor) is confused and having a tough time deciding what he really wants to do regardless of the NIL and the transfer rules. He is young. I transferred after my sophomore year (a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away) and regretted it before I even left the campus but there was no option for going back. I have no idea if he is getting more money one way or the other.
I'm going to go out on a limb and say he may have realized the program didn't fall apart like he thought it would when Saban retired. Quite the contrary, the program has brought in some stud players via recruiting and some very good transfers. He may have been under the assumption the program was going to implode and he didn't want to be here when it did. It didn't, now he is seeing what he left and what he went to and having some buyers remorse.

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
I'm going to go out on a limb and say he may have realized the program didn't fall apart like he thought it would when Saban retired. Quite the contrary, the program has brought in some stud players via recruiting and some very good transfers. He may have been under the assumption the program was going to implode and he didn't want to be here when it did. It didn't, now he is seeing what he left and what he went to and having some buyers remorse.
That's what I think.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I think another aspect is DeBoer seems much more like a players coach than Saban. Players seem to love him. And I'm sure his friends that were still on the team were letting him know

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Iowa might be pushing proctor out the door, because proctor himself admitted that Iowa was in contact many times during the season,aka tampering, so maybe Iowa is trying to avoid trouble..heck Iowa may be the ones responsible for making proctor "homesick".
Iowa self reported violations in this matter.

Reactions: dathbama

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
The collapse of "amateurism", from sanctions for selling textbooks, to exiting the program to raid another's NIL and returning, is breathtaking.
I think it’s Karma - those giving the NIL money are doing so to get a player to go to a certain school, but can’t put that in writing. It’s a risk they run and I hope it happens again and again. It’ll never happen enough to make NIL go away, but it might hasten players becoming employees or changing the NIL rules to tie them to institutions (if possible). I’m all for the grifting (currently legal) until they clean this crap up.

Reactions: dathbama

some_al_fan

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 14, 2024
Proctor did get some money in Iowa, but from sponsors for attending events, not their collective. 5 figures. He also got a new truck, that he would lose due to leaving Iowa

tideindc

2nd Team
Jan 2, 2015
According to a story in The Athletic, Proctor got a little bit of money at Iowa, but he truly thought he was homesick . Once at Iowa he wasn’t as happy as he expected. Apparently he had a chance to hang out with some Bama players/ buddies during spring break, and that triggered his decision to return. So say sources to that publication.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
According to a story in The Athletic, Proctor got a little bit of money at Iowa, but he truly thought he was homesick . Once at Iowa he wasn’t as happy as he expected. Apparently he had a chance to hang out with some Bama players/ buddies during spring break, and that triggered his decision to return. So say sources to that publication.
And according to RBR, the Swarm can’t stop the money because he left Iowa; last I heard, you still can’t give money to players to play for a certain school but they’re saying that’s exactly what they did.
I smell a lawsuit coming unless that rule is changed.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
And according to RBR, the Swarm can’t stop the money because he left Iowa; last I heard, you still can’t give money to players to play for a certain school but they’re saying that’s exactly what they did.
I smell a lawsuit coming unless that rule is changed.
His NIL worth is devalued in that area if he leaves, so the Collective has some basis for terminating his contract... :cool:

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
His NIL worth is devalued in that area if he leaves, so the Collective has some basis for terminating his contract... :cool:
Love to argue that in court - only reduction in value would be to the school, not him. And there we are tying it to attending the school again…

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
This is the first time I ever heard anyone saying anything about NIL contracts- I don’t know if anyone else knew anything.
And I understand this portion of the NIL is probably going to be challenged although I haven’t seen that yet either.
Ewers got an NIL deal while he was in HS - again, it’s not “supposed “ to be tied to attending any particular school (I’d like to meet the moron who thought that caveat was either a good idea or would work). In theory, the way I understood the original rule (probably incorrectly) was that, terms of length of contract notwithstanding, NIL deal was the players until it ended due to time, but I never heard anything about NIL being terminated upon leaving a school.
Until now.

Reactions: Ole Man Dan

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
Well, Tiger couldnt keep getting money from Nike if he all of sudden wanted to start repping Addidas...

The NIL deals should all have standard language that says that the contract can be voided by either party upon a change of schools.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Love to argue that in court - only reduction in value would be to the school, not him. And there we are tying it to attending the school again…
What I am saying is the his NIL value in Iowa diminishes if he leaves.

Who wants to see him advertise anything up there now? Same here in Alabama. Who would have cared to see him advertise anything here a month ago?

AlBamaWagg

1st Team
Jan 3, 2007
Mt Juliet, Tn
According to the head of Swarm, his NIL would be payed for public service (charitable work) or advertising/promotion for a business. He received some money for the former but nothing for the latter. No Swarm funds were paid to him.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Proctor did get some money in Iowa, but from sponsors for attending events, not their collective. 5 figures. He also got a new truck, that he would lose due to leaving Iowa
" The Collective ". Anybody else remember The Borg ? " Resistance is futile". Good Lord!

Reactions: Ole Man Dan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.