Transfer Portal 2023-2024...

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnD

1st Team
Dec 22, 2003
“Still got the shovel”.

That is one of my favorite movie segments! One of the few "true" southern accents you'll hear in a major motion picture.
Here's a bit of movie trivia: That actor doing all the talking is Levon Helm, former lead singer and drummer for the group "The Band" from the 60's and 70's who was famous for songs like "Up on Cripple Creek", "The Night they drove Ole Dixie Down", "The Weight", etc. He was sort of overlooked as an actor, but could have done a lot more.

BamaFan6462

Aug 24, 2023
Iowa broke rules by contacting Proctor while he was on another team’s roster outside of the transfer schedule. Since there were no consequences for them breaking this rule, I don’t think Bama should be required to sit him for a year.

Reactions: dtgreg

some_al_fan

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 14, 2024
It's interesting Proctor left in time to miss the 4th Quarter Program, and now is talking about returning. He could have benefited maybe the most of anybody from that. I hope he doesn't show up at over 400 lbs and out of shape.
Proctor had a torn ligament in his ankle prior to Michigan game. So, most likely, he has been limited in his exercise routine anyway. Probably could only do upper body workouts since Michigan game.

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
My question to Proctor is why did you leave in the first place. Whomever was projected to start in that spot has to be a little irritated by it as well
I think we had several knee-jerk reactions when Coach Saban retired, especially from players that had a great chance to be starters next year. I think Proctor is one of them. It would have been nice for some of those guys to let the dust settle, check out the new system, then make a decision. I hope some of the "return" rumors turn out to be true.

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
Why cannot specific NIL contracts be tied to the school? For example, why cannot some Iowa company has an NIL contract with Proctor, that has a statement “this contract is valid only if Proctor is enrolled in Iowa” or something like that?
Is this what Tennessee and Virginia were basically doing, ie you only get paid if you're playing here. All it took was a law suit and the NCAA high-tailed it for the hills. It is truly the wild wild west now.

Last edited:

JohnD

1st Team
Dec 22, 2003
Proctor had a torn ligament in his ankle prior to Michigan game. So, most likely, he has been limited in his exercise routine anyway. Probably could only do upper body workouts since Michigan game.
Good point. And lower body is probably what he needs the most work on.

Reactions: some_al_fan

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Is this what Tennessee and Virginia were basically doing, ie you only get paid if you're playing here. All it took was a law suit and the NCAA high-tailed it for the hills. It is truly the wild wild west now.
From a local/in state business' standpoint this is THE ONLY way I would participate in any NIL. There is no way if I'm a local or statewide business that I'm signing an NIL agreement with a player from Alabama to represent my company's name and be paid for it, then transfer to an out of state college and still get paid.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
From a local/in state business' standpoint this is THE ONLY way I would participate in any NIL. There is no way if I'm a local or statewide business that I'm signing an NIL agreement with a player from Alabama to represent my company's name and be paid for it, then transfer to an out of state college and still get paid.
That would seem simple enough: a contract that states you pay a player to endorse your product/company as long as he remains on the team (in our case Alabama) you entered into the deal as a player. It would seem a clause could specify "If you quit the team or choose to transfer to another team you nullify the agreement."

Reactions: Krymsonman

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
The real issue isn't NIL, but the transfer portal. I am in FULL agreement with going back to losing a year of eligibility if a player decides to transfer. There also needs to be very limited "exceptions" as well, not a laundry list of "personal reasons" that a player can transfer without sitting out.
That's the way the PORTAL should work...
BUT...
The portal is like the wild west. Anything goes.
The NCAA is like the elderly Sheriff that's always out of town, and does nothing when he returns...
Like Sgt. Schultz, he knows nothing... And does nothing...

Last edited:
Reactions: rolltide7854

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
That would seem simple enough: a contract that states you pay a player to endorse your product/company as long as he remains on the team (in our case Alabama) you entered into the deal as a player. It would seem a clause could specify "If you quit the team or choose to transfer to another team you nullify the agreement."
IMHO, that is EXACTLY what is in those NIL agreements already... :cool:

Also, I don't think any collective would pay the full fee upfront, so the regular payments would end when the player leaves anyways.

some_al_fan

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 14, 2024
He can also follow Latham’s path:

-------
Latham, who was listed at 360 pounds last season, said he’d lost 20 pounds since UA’s final game. He was mostly eating chicken, rice and vegetables as he got ready for the big day.

“It was real tough, I’m not gonna lie,” Latham said. “That was probably the hardest part, because I don’t really eat fast food like that, but I definitely eat out. Whether it’s steak, wagyu, mashed potatoes, asparagus. But you have to cut back on all that stuff, all the oil and stuff.”
-------

Reactions: bvandegraff

bvandegraff

All-American
Mar 13, 2014
Albuquerque, NM
He can also follow Latham’s path:

-------
Latham, who was listed at 360 pounds last season, said he’d lost 20 pounds since UA’s final game. He was mostly eating chicken, rice and vegetables as he got ready for the big day.

“It was real tough, I’m not gonna lie,” Latham said. “That was probably the hardest part, because I don’t really eat fast food like that, but I definitely eat out. Whether it’s steak, wagyu, mashed potatoes, asparagus. But you have to cut back on all that stuff, all the oil and stuff.”
-------
This. I'm sure KP knows the new staff is not going to play power football and that he'll need to be lighter and more agile.

It's ok to be glad KP's coming back while at the same time hating the system that has allowed this to happen. Like it or not, absent any reform (don't hold your breath) this is the game as it is today, and Bama/KD better be able to play it.

For the folks slagging Proctor, he improved as the season went on and played the Michigan game with a leg injury. He played as a TF because there was nobody else able to take the starting LT job and endured a lot of criticism while he figured things out. And guess what, he's still a TF and highly valued one, so this transfer roulette stuff is what happens when an 18yo kid gets his head turned in this age of CFB.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
This. I'm sure KP knows the new staff is not going to play power football and that he'll need to be lighter and more agile.

It's ok to be glad KP's coming back while at the same time hating the system that has allowed this to happen. Like it or not, absent any reform (don't hold your breath) this is the game as it is today, and Bama/KD better be able to play it.

For the folks slagging Proctor, he improved as the season went on and played the Michigan game with a leg injury. He played as a TF because there was nobody else able to take the starting LT job and endured a lot of criticism while he figured things out. And guess what, he's still a TF and highly valued one, so this transfer roulette stuff is what happens when an 18yo kid gets his head turned in this age of CFB.
He had his best game vs UGA too. He arguably was our best OL guy in that game.

He's going to be good.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
It is possible that the kid (Proctor) is confused and having a tough time deciding what he really wants to do regardless of the NIL and the transfer rules. He is young. I transferred after my sophomore year (a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away) and regretted it before I even left the campus but there was no option for going back. I have no idea if he is getting more money one way or the other.

Reactions: RollTide_HTTR
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.