Transfer Portal 2023-2024...

Status
Not open for further replies.

some_al_fan

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 14, 2024
NIL cannot be tied to the school in any way, so this doesn’t work.
Why cannot specific NIL contracts be tied to the school? For example, why cannot some Iowa company has an NIL contract with Proctor, that has a statement “this contract is valid only if Proctor is enrolled in Iowa” or something like that?

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
Why cannot specific NIL contracts be tied to the school? For example, why cannot some Iowa company has an NIL contract with Proctor, that has a statement “this contract is valid only if Proctor is enrolled in Iowa” or something like that?
Because then it's just legalized "pay for play". And yes, that IS what's happening right now, but that's not how it's supposed to be. What we need is real leadership from SOMEONE.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
How do you know that it doesn't? I have no doubt that that stipulation is in every NIL contract out there. :cool:

The rule is that the collective is no connected to the school in any form or fashion.

oskie

All-SEC
Jan 28, 2005
If Proctor did come back, wouldn’t that count as a second transfer where sitting out a year would be in effect? As far as I know, you’re only immediately eligible after the first transfer. Does the fact that he wouldn’t have actually appeared as a player there waive that?...
I think because there was a HC change, that the first one didn't count.
I was wondering about this. That would make some sense.
None of them count nowadays anyway. Seriously when was the last time a high-profile player had to sit a year after transferring?
I don’t know if there has ever been a player to transfer back to their original school, especially that quickly. I am not sure how the NCAA would rule on that. However, I assume they would argue for immediate eligibility due to the tampering.

These articles, listed below, shed some light on Proctor's situation.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
NIL is a issue but the real problem is transfer portal, you fix that and it will take care of the NIL for most part
The real issue isn't NIL, but the transfer portal. I am in FULL agreement with going back to losing a year of eligibility if a player decides to transfer. There also needs to be very limited "exceptions" as well, not a laundry list of "personal reasons" that a player can transfer without sitting out.

TIDE24

1st Team
Jan 12, 2000
Bartlett, TN
The real issue isn't NIL, but the transfer portal. I am in FULL agreement with going back to losing a year of eligibility if a player decides to transfer. There also needs to be very limited "exceptions" as well, not a laundry list of "personal reasons" that a player can transfer without sitting out.
I agree, but I also like the idea of schools having to pay buyouts to other school. The argument has always been coaches can change jobs whenever they want, but everyone just skips over the buyout that is paid. Make the new school pay a buyout to the old school if a player transfers. The new schools will think twice about the investment before accepting a transfer. There will still be transfers, but not like today.

Reactions: CrimsonRuss

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I agree, but I also like the idea of schools having to pay buyouts to other school. The argument has always been coaches can change jobs whenever they want, but everyone just skips over the buyout that is paid. Make the new school pay a buyout to the old school if a player transfers. The new schools will think twice about the investment before accepting a transfer. There will still be transfers, but not like today.
I think the sitting out is a steep enough penalty because the school has to wait an entire year before playing him. IMO, adding a buyout to a kid already having to sit out is excessive.

Reactions: NoNC4Tubs

TIDE24

1st Team
Jan 12, 2000
Bartlett, TN
I think the sitting out is a steep enough penalty because the school has to wait an entire year before playing him. IMO, adding a buyout to a kid already having to sit out is excessive.
This is more of an alternative to sitting out. Not sure sitting out will be an option going forward, that "toothpaste may be out of the tube" so to speak. Although, I do like the sitting out option. I do agree both sitting out AND a buyout are excessive.

December05

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 5, 2022
These articles, listed below, shed some light on Proctor's situation.

Great, thanks for the articles. I didn’t realize a precedent had already been set. Perfect for the athlete who wants to play hot potato with his college career. Until there is some kind of contract-based format that athletes must adhere to, college football is going to make a mockery of itself with the portal.

• Thank You
Reactions: REDSEA

99ALUM

3rd Team
Sep 11, 2006
Pell City, AL
It's interesting Proctor left in time to miss the 4th Quarter Program, and now is talking about returning. He could have benefited maybe the most of anybody from that. I hope he doesn't show up at over 400 lbs and out of shape.
Yeah, in order for Coach to use him, he needs to show up 30-40 lbs. lighter. Which I bet, if anything, KP shows up heavier. What’s the over/under?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.