Transfer Portal 2023-24, v2

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
Nothing unfortunate about it - if you're not good enough, move along. These are adults we're talking about, not children, and they want the freedom to play wherever they want and get paid in the process - this is the other side of the proverbial 'double-edged sword'.

Welcome to the real world.
Agreed. I see this all the time with regard to travel baseball. The parents have to accept the reality their son isn't good enough to make the team. A lot of them have never had to deal with something like that because they grew up in the "everyone gets a trophy" era. Quite frankly, it's refreshing to see merit-based activities still exist.

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
Agreed. I see this all the time with regard to travel baseball. The parents have to accept the reality their son isn't good enough to make the team. A lot of them have never had to deal with something like that because they grew up in the "everyone gets a trophy" era. Quite frankly, it's refreshing to see merit-based activities still exist.
Yep, had that in 12 year old all stars last year. 12 kids.....wound up with a couple of parents that still don't like me. Their kids weren't quite good enough to crack the top 9....but oh boy did I hear about it. "He's worked too hard not to play".....no ma'am, he missed this practice and he has trouble picking up the signals that we're using.

Had one parent pull their kid....another threaten......vowed to never deal with that crap again. Then signed up for babe ruth ball this spring.

Parents just expect their kids to be on whatever team and playing. Its a sickness. I mean, my boy didn't make his middle school team after tryouts....baseball or basketball.....I'm not calling complaining. I'm telling him, ok, you've got work to do.

You know what makes them grow mentally....that adversity. That feeling of not being good enough and working to improve. The person they become through that adversity is stronger than the one that never deals with any.

Entitlement is a disease.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Nothing unfortunate about it - if you're not good enough, move along. These are adults we're talking about, not children, and they want the freedom to play wherever they want and get paid in the process - this is the other side of the proverbial 'double-edged sword'.

Welcome to the real world.
It's the new version of "you shop" (you can choose to leave) "we shop" (I can tell you to leave).

Like you say, if the athlete wants to be treated as an employee with the privilege/right to leave coaches get the same right.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Yep, had that in 12 year old all stars last year. 12 kids.....wound up with a couple of parents that still don't like me. Their kids weren't quite good enough to crack the top 9....but oh boy did I hear about it. "He's worked too hard not to play".....no ma'am, he missed this practice and he has trouble picking up the signals that we're using.

Had one parent pull their kid....another threaten......vowed to never deal with that crap again. Then signed up for babe ruth ball this spring.

Parents just expect their kids to be on whatever team and playing. Its a sickness. I mean, my boy didn't make his middle school team after tryouts....baseball or basketball.....I'm not calling complaining. I'm telling him, ok, you've got work to do.

You know what makes them grow mentally....that adversity. That feeling of not being good enough and working to improve. The person they become through that adversity is stronger than the one that never deals with any.

Entitlement is a disease.
Wait`ll these kids grow up and lose jobs, experience death, have relationships go to hell in a hand basket, etc., etc., etc. Life is what happens while you`re making other plans and you don`t learn how to deal with adversity at 30 or 35.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Yea but why. If you're gonna sit a year. Sit a year at bama and transfer in the January wherever you wanna go.

There's no reason to enter the spring portal to transfer in conference unless you have a redshirt year to burn..he land somewhere good but auburn would be a waste of a year.
I agree. That's why when I see a SEC guy in the portal during the spring period I don't seriously consider them coming to Bama. This should be the rule during both transfer portals IMO.

Reactions: TheRealPokeChop

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Interesting scenario. Tyler Baron transferred from Tenn. to Louisville on 1/16/24. Now, it looks like he will be reentering the portal. He has never played a down for Louisville. Will he be allowed to transfer to another SEC school without sitting out a year?
I would think if he enrolled at Louisville he would be allowed but I also thought a Texas or OU player could transfer to SEC without having to sit out a year since they don't officially enter the SEC until July and I was wrong.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Agreed. MJ did not make his high school team as a soph and we all know what happened after that.

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
I wouldn't be surprised if the coaches have a talk with a couple of players and convince them that entering the portal might be a better option for them.
They have the CB from Arizona St coming Friday. Something will need to happen if they want to offer him. I think they thought more would transfer out. They haven't. And I think that speaks volumes about the current program and coaching staff.

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011
They have the CB from Arizona St coming Friday. Something will need to happen if they want to offer him. I think they thought more would transfer out. They haven't. And I think that speaks volumes about the current program and coaching staff.
I was thinking the same thing. It seems like most of the players like the coaching staff and the energy that they have brought. From the recruiting successes so far, it seems that others have noticed the positive vibes also.

Last edited:

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
Wait`ll these kids grow up and lose jobs, experience death, have relationships go to hell in a hand basket, etc., etc., etc. Life is what happens while you`re making other plans and you don`t learn how to deal with adversity at 30 or 35.
Unfortunately, many of them have probably already experienced death considering the harsh backgrounds a lot of them come from.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
I would think if he enrolled at Louisville he would be allowed but I also thought a Texas or OU player could transfer to SEC without having to sit out a year since they don't officially enter the SEC until July and I was wrong.
They don’t officially enter until July but SEC office made a decision to consider them under SEC rules for the spring portal. Works both ways though so no SEC players can transfer there.

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
I'd suspect the kids are suddenly having some fun they weren't necessarily experiencing until the new staff came in. That energy is infectious.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Interesting scenario. Tyler Baron transferred from Tenn. to Louisville on 1/16/24. Now, it looks like he will be reentering the portal. He has never played a down for Louisville. Will he be allowed to transfer to another SEC school without sitting out a year?
Yep!

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al
Ut and ou and sec school have an armistice of sorts regarding transfers on this window. They would be treated as intraconference by the SEC. From what I've heard.

The Louisville player can go to any sec school he wants since he is leaving Louisville roster not uts.

Reactions: NoNC4Tubs

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
I'd suspect the kids are suddenly having some fun they weren't necessarily experiencing until the new staff came in. That energy is infectious.
The new guys, along with 2nd and 3rd stringers are staying. I think they are excited about the program and new coaching staff. But I understand Khurtiss Perry, as we're 2 deep at DL with great players. As a 4*, he'll find a place he can play much earlier.

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
The new guys, along with 2nd and 3rd stringers are staying. I think they are excited about the program and new coaching staff. But I understand Khurtiss Perry, as we're 2 deep at DL with great players. As a 4*, he'll find a place he can play much earlier.
May have been mentioned here or I heard it on the radio driving into work....but I understand Perry was a tweener.....too small for one position, too big for the other. My gut tells me he transfers out of the SEC obviously until he can transfer back and into Auburn. My gut also tells me I'm too fat, but that's another story.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
May have been mentioned here or I heard it on the radio driving into work....but I understand Perry was a tweener.....too small for one position, too big for the other. My gut tells me he transfers out of the SEC obviously until he can transfer back and into Auburn. My gut also tells me I'm too fat, but that's another story.
I think it was one of our posters and he is correct. He is listed at 6' 2" and 265 lbs and that is tweener size.

Latest threads