Washington transfer TE Josh Cuevas commits to Bama

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
This one's a bit confusing to me - even with the portal losses, we still had a pretty full TE room already, especially if Odom is as game ready as we've heard. Seems there are positions of need greater than TE, like CB and OL still....
ODOM moved to WR. This explains why we added another TE. I would expect one or 2 to transfer after spring.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
So the WR room is going to look like this. A crowded room and some will be in the portal after spring.

Kobe Prentice
Kendrick Law
Jalen Hale
Germie Bernard - UW transfer
Jaren Hamilton
Cole Adams
Ryan Williams - TF
Caleb Odom - TF
Rico Scott - TF
Bubba Hampton - TF
Amari Jefferson - TF

Reactions: B1GTide

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al
Even with Odom maybe/likely moving, we still have 5 guys at a position where a large majority of the time, the offense uses 1, and sometimes uses 2 and very, very rarely uses 3. Still seems like the higher priority should be CB and OL
Those spots are coming. Corner probably not until after spring.

But OL may happen soon.

Reactions: Tidelines

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al
So the WR room is going to look like this. A crowded room and some will be in the portal after spring.

Kobe Prentice
Kendrick Law
Jalen Hale
Jaren Hamilton
Cole Adams
Ryan Williams - TF
Caleb Odom - TF
Rico Scott - TF
Bubba Hampton - TF
Amari Jefferson - TF
Jefferson Scott and Williams won't be on campus until summer

Not a position we will expect to see transfers. In spring.

The defensive side of the ball (front 7) may be a different story.

Reactions: TiderJack

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Deboer uses 2 tight end sets a lot. Not a normal air raid.
Well a normal air raid runs 0 tights. From what I've watched, I see a LOT of 11 and not a lot of 12. It's there, but not much and a lot of the time it's a WR they just lined up tighter so it looked like 12 but wasn't. Even if there's 12 a decent amount, and with Odom moving we've got a ton of depth there...

Reactions: TheRealPokeChop

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al
Well a normal air raid runs 0 tights. From what I've watched, I see a LOT of 11 and not a lot of 12. It's there, but not much and a lot of the time it's a WR they just lined up tighter so it looked like 12 but wasn't. Even if there's 12 a decent amount, and with Odom moving we've got a ton of depth there...
Im happy for the depth. Not a ton of experience there so this pick up helps a lot. And we really aren't sure if robbie will be more than a fullback (though a very good one) so it's good to have an extra traditional TR

some_al_fan

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 14, 2024

Kobe Prentice
Kendrick Law
Jalen Hale
Jaren Hamilton
Cole Adams
Ryan Williams - TF
Caleb Odom - TF
Rico Scott - TF
Bubba Hampton - TF
Amari Jefferson - TF
Emmanuel Henderson ?

Reactions: TiderJack

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
That's a good thing, no?:unsure:

Tidelines

All-American
Oct 19, 2022
Henderson is a WR with good speed. He has had injury problems since he has been at Bama. He was a RB coming out of HS, but the plan was to move him to WR.

Last edited:
Reactions: NoNC4Tubs

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Oline depth isn't that bad. We need one more tackle for comfortbale depth. And its likely coming.

Scholarship space is absolutely not a concern at the moment
we've got 12 scholarship OL on campus for spring so that's pretty thin for the spring game, so I hope you're right that we get some extra depth. Contrast with having 6 TEs for one and a half roles...

Reactions: jjv0004 and B1GTide

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Even with Odom maybe/likely moving, we still have 5 guys at a position where a large majority of the time, the offense uses 1, and sometimes uses 2 and very, very rarely uses 3. Still seems like the higher priority should be CB and OL
There are actually 2 TE positions , H and Y , with two different body types, even for Y. In that respect we are only 2 deep/3 deep at TE. I know other positions are needed, but if Scholarships are available, why not take the guy that knows the position if he has upside. There will be room in the 85 limit after spring with transfers out.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
BTW, I fully expected Odom to get a shot at WR , even if Nick was still there. The kid wanted to play at that position and Kiffin was willing to take him as a WR. From talking with friends of his, he would have gotten an opportunity at receiver with no guarantees at Bama under Nick. He likened himself to Mike Evans. That’s the thing I really liked about Coach, even in matters of NIL, positions, etc, he kept an open mind but made no promises.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tidelines

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
There are actually 2 TE positions , H and Y , with two different body types, even for Y. In that respect we are only 2 deep/3 deep at TE. I know other positions are needed, but if Scholarships are available, why not take the guy that knows the position if he has upside. There will be room in the 85 limit after spring with transfers out.
I get the different roles TEs had in how our old offense was. Keep in mind that in the old world though, niblack and Outz were at the same spot with completely different builds, skillsets and ways coaches tried to use them. I'm just not sure it's really that way going forward. From what I watched of UW, there was only a small smattering of 2 TE looks, and when they did it, both the guys were more TE and less H

Reactions: bamaga

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.