Why is Ohio State Losing So Many To The Portal?

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
tOSU is losing at least 10 to the portal, and that’s on the first day.

Some were highly rated recruits who aren’t getting the playing time they anticipated. But a couple (the QB and a WR) were starters who figured to be so in 2024. Others fall somewhere in the middle.

And while I know the loss to Michigan was disappointing, Ohio State is an undeniably successful program.

Anybody have any insight as to the reason for the exodus?

• Thank You
Reactions: The Ols

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
tOSU is losing at least 10 to the portal, and that’s on the first day.

Some were highly rated recruits who aren’t getting the playing time they anticipated. But a couple (the QB and a WR) were starters who figured to be so in 2024. Others fall somewhere in the middle.

And while I know the loss to Michigan was disappointing, Ohio State is an undeniably successful program.

Anybody have any insight as to the reason for the exodus?
Word was it that they didn't like how coaches handled things... that's my best guess.

Reactions: Con

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Reminder: Bama had 13 in transfer portal earlier this year.

Alabama football: 2023 transfer portal tracker - On3
That’s true, but I remember only one who was a starter in 2022 and figured to be a starter in 2023 — the OL who transferred to Miami after demanding a massive NIL payment and the admission of his girlfriend into the law school.

Predictably, Saban effectively told him to pound sand.

Word was it that they didn't like how coaches handled things... that's my best guess.
Now I’m curious — how they handled what things?

Last edited:

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
I've read some NFL internet chatter that Ryan Day has been talking to "people" in the NFL. Now what that means, I'm not sure. Maybe Day has his eyes on something in the NFL that has been brought to his attention by his agent.
Stranded on third base…🤣

Amaizing Blue

Dec 4, 2023
I think the latest count is up to 12. McCord and his father apparently met with Day the week after Michigan and wanted assurances Day wouldn't take a portal QB. Day wouldn't commit to that, so McCord is out. The funny thing is that if everyone in the portal leaves, along with those already declaring for the draft, it would mean that Ohio State would need to replace every single offensive skill position player before next year. You HATE...and I mean HATE...to see it.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I think the latest count is up to 12. McCord and his father apparently met with Day the week after Michigan and wanted assurances Day wouldn't take a portal QB. Day wouldn't commit to that, so McCord is out. The funny thing is that if everyone in the portal leaves, along with those already declaring for the draft, it would mean that Ohio State would need to replace every single offensive skill position player before next year. You HATE...and I mean HATE...to see it.
And I come back to my initial question: Why is this happening?

Amaizing Blue

Dec 4, 2023
And I come back to my initial question: Why is this happening?
Because Ohio State is a broken program that is destined to hit a 10-year valley of mediocrity? That's my hope, anyway. Best case (for a Michigan fan) is that Day isn't the guy and doesn't have what it takes, and the players see that. In other words, it's a program problem. More likely probably is that it's a combination of disappointment with three straight losses to us and some coincidental bad timing. Hoping it's the first, for sure.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
IMO, it is because of the way that Day has handled this. He said, after the loss, that they were going to look at everything, including QB play. That is throwing the QB under the bus. The players in that locker room love McCord. And the offensive guys are revolting.

On the defensive side of the ball, the guys in the portal will not hurt us.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Spend a little time on the eleven warriors site. Our fans are terrible to players who fail. Think about how Milroe feels about his treatment. Now imagine if he had a performance like Texas against Auburn and you lost.

Fans are terrible.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Spend a little time on the eleven warriors site. Our fans are terrible to players who fail. Think about how Milroe feels about his treatment. Now imagine if he had a performance like Texas against Auburn and you lost.

Fans are terrible.
Most fanbases are condescending in good times — looking at you, Amaizing Blue — and handle adversity really poorly.

I have little experience with tOSU’s fans. But if they are as you say, they’re far from alone.

Last edited:

Amaizing Blue

Dec 4, 2023
Most fanbases are condescending in good times — looking at you, Amaizing Blue — and handle adversity really poorly.

I have little experience with tOSU’s fans. But if they are as you say, they’re far from alone.
I am taking pleasure in the problems of my rival. I don't know how that makes me condescending? I think it makes me a fan. While you guys were running up a dozen years of being the best program in college football, Michigan fans endured 3 years of Rich Rod and 4 years of Brady Hoke, plus 5 years of Jim Harbaugh where we kept getting smoked by Ohio State. Please don't tell me I don't know about adversity.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
I am taking pleasure in the problems of my rival. I don't know how that makes me condescending? I think it makes me a fan. While you guys were running up a dozen years of being the best program in college football, Michigan fans endured 3 years of Rich Rod and 4 years of Brady Hoke, plus 5 years of Jim Harbaugh where we kept getting smoked by Ohio State. Please don't tell me I don't know about adversity.
OK…why here?

Tidelines

All-American
Oct 19, 2022
Good point.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.