Why is Ohio State Losing So Many To The Portal?

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
Because Ohio State is a broken program that is destined to hit a 10-year valley of mediocrity? That's my hope, anyway. Best case (for a Michigan fan) is that Day isn't the guy and doesn't have what it takes, and the players see that. In other words, it's a program problem. More likely probably is that it's a combination of disappointment with three straight losses to us and some coincidental bad timing. Hoping it's the first, for sure.
They just need to have someone do a little sign stealing.

Amaizing Blue

Dec 4, 2023
OK…why here?
Because we play you in a few weeks, and I enjoy talking college football so I joined your board. I'm trying to be very mindful that it is YOUR board, and I've only commented on topics having to do with Michigan or the Big Ten, I hope respectfully. If having opposing fans on your board isn't a thing-we have lots on ours-I'm happy to step away. Definitely NOT here to troll.

VirginiaTide57

All-American
Jan 19, 2005
Fredericksburg, Virginia
Because we play you in a few weeks, and I enjoy talking college football so I joined your board. I'm trying to be very mindful that it is YOUR board, and I've only commented on topics having to do with Michigan or the Big Ten, I hope respectfully. If having opposing fans on your board isn't a thing-we have lots on ours-I'm happy to step away. Definitely NOT here to troll.
If you spend time perusing posts, you'll see Tidefans is an inclusive place and tolerant. There are regular posters here from Ohio State, LSU, Florida State, Oklahoma, and maybe a few others. Most don't post to bash their respective conferences but to comment on Bama. I enjoy the fact there isn't much smugness in posts . . . enjoy your time here and I hope you keep the site bookmarked even after the Rose Bowl . . .where the Tide is going to roll the Blue!

Amaizing Blue

Dec 4, 2023
If you spend time perusing posts, you'll see Tidefans is an inclusive place and tolerant. There are regular posters here from Ohio State, LSU, Florida State, Oklahoma, and maybe a few others. Most don't post to bash their respective conferences but to comment on Bama. I enjoy the fact there isn't much smugness in posts . . . enjoy your time here and I hope you keep the site bookmarked even after the Rose Bowl . . .where the Tide is going to roll the Blue!
Fair. I think the whole "Support your conference" vibe is much stronger in the SEC than in the Big Ten. That's cool in some ways, but definitely different than what we are used to. Also, going 2-18 to your rivals over a 20-year period leaves a lot of scar tissue. Anyway, I'll bear that in mind, save the snark for our board, and focus on the game...AND hope you are dead wrong on your prediction! I am really looking forward to what I think will be a great game. Don't know who's going to win, but it's going to be a blast!

Tidelines

All-American
Oct 19, 2022
Fair. I think the whole "Support your conference" vibe is much stronger in the SEC than in the Big Ten. That's cool in some ways, but definitely different than what we are used to. Also, going 2-18 to your rivals over a 20-year period leaves a lot of scar tissue. Anyway, I'll bear that in mind, save the snark for our board, and focus on the game...AND hope you are dead wrong on your prediction! I am really looking forward to what I think will be a great game. Don't know who's going to win, but it's going to be a blast!
Really, I thought we stab each other in the back (the SEC teams.)

Reactions: NoNC4Tubs

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Really, I thought we stab each other in the back (the SEC teams.)
I’ve had this conversation, ironically with a Michigan fan. She asked me if I’d root for Auburn against a non-SEC opponent in a bowl game, and I said yes. She thought that was stupid and said so in no uncertain terms. I said that, regardless of who won the Alabama-Auburn game, it makes the SEC in general and Alabama in particular look better if Auburn won.

She pointed out all the intra-conference backstabbing, and I said it’s kind of like a family. We have our disagreements with each other and they can sometimes get nasty. And due to the Fulmer / Dickey / Kramer abomination in the late 90s, I confess to being unable to root for UTe unless it has a direct and tangible bearing on our season. But generally speaking, we’ll unite under the SEC banner against a common outsider.

Then, once the outsider is dispatched, we go back to our internecine squabbles and backstabbing.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
I’ve had this conversation, ironically with a Michigan fan. She asked me if I’d root for Auburn against a non-SEC opponent in a bowl game, and I said yes. She thought that was stupid and said so in no uncertain terms. I said that, regardless of who won the Alabama-Auburn game, it makes the SEC in general and Alabama in particular look better if Auburn won.

She pointed out all the intra-conference backstabbing, and I said it’s kind of like a family. We have our disagreements with each other and they can sometimes get nasty. And due to the Fulmer / Dickey / Kramer abomination in the late 90s, I confess to being unable to root for UTe unless it has a direct and tangible bearing on our season. But generally speaking, we’ll unite under the SEC banner against a common outsider.

Then, once the outsider is dispatched, we go back to our internecine squabbles and backstabbing.
I nominate you for suspension. :)

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
Your’re not being mindful at all…you’re a bull in a china shop…love for you to stay, but so far you’ve gone after a mod and a HOF poster…in 2 days…
We love good spirited conversation…your end seems to be lacking the good spirit.
Competition doesn’t need to be so angry…but…lol…nm…hope you stick around, as a gambler I’m hoppping on the chance you don’t like I did Bama +2…😎
Roll Tide!!!

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
I am taking pleasure in the problems of my rival. I don't know how that makes me condescending? I think it makes me a fan. While you guys were running up a dozen years of being the best program in college football, Michigan fans endured 3 years of Rich Rod and 4 years of Brady Hoke, plus 5 years of Jim Harbaugh where we kept getting smoked by Ohio State. Please don't tell me I don't know about adversity.
Well blow me down...I agree with a Michigan fan. Guess that makes me condescending to, let's see, Auburn, UcheaT, LSU, Ole Miss, Cowbell idiots, UGA, Texas 8&4, the other Texas, Oklahoma, ND, USC (all of them), FSU and UAB.

Last edited:

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States

I'm the complete opposite. I will never pull for the teams I listed in my previous post. If AU has to win to help clinch something for Bama, I still will not pull for them. I may not pull against them that time, but I think I would throw up if I had to actively cheer for that cow county.

I think when you hear people chant "SEC, SEC, SEC" in some games it because we know it annoys other fans, not because we cheer for all SEC teams.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Thanks. I don't mind the ribbing. I don't talk smack because it always comes back around eventually.
This is why I never assume a victory before the game is played.
Nor do I trash fans of other programs (seriously - the biggest jerk I've encountered in my 15 or so trips to BDS was an obnoxiously loud Alabama fan who was probably sloshed and screaming at the Florida fans in my section as if he personally was on the field tackling people and running plays).

What keeps this a quality board is the refusal to allow anything to rise to the level of smack talk. If I go to another board, it isn't to say "Alabama beat you in 1949," it's to learn about what I might not know about their team.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I think when you hear people chant "SEC, SEC, SEC" in some games it because we know it annoys other fans, not because we cheer for all SEC teams.
Although Arkansas leaving the SWC is given credit for the origin of that chant in the early 90s (and trolling the Longhorns with it in 2000), it was the series of near misses or lucky breaks in the early BCS era that made it so well-known.

2003 - LSU only made the title game because Boise State thumped Hawaii.
2004 - Auburn didn't make it despite an unbeaten record.
2005 - Alabama KNEW they weren't going to make it even had we beaten LSU and Auburn and won the SEC that year because Texas and USC had the human voters and hype.

The sports media LARGELY (but not all of them) were talking about an Ohio State-Michigan rematch A MONTH BEFORE the game was even played. Then, it was USC who was going to play the Buckeyes, but they lost to UCLA. The media as a whole looked past the Florida-Arky SEC title game, Florida won, and Urban Meyer made his case.

Florida then endured five weeks of, "I don't think they can stay on the field with Ohio State," and being the 7-point underdog. And there WERE condescending comments thrown at the conference like, "every year we hear how good they are, every year they get smoked in bowls like they're marijuana."

And the Florida players and fans were chanting it to taunt the media and the Big 10.

Then LSU did it when they won it.
Florida again.

And some Bama folks in the 2009 year.

By that point it was like "the Wave," an irritating tradition that needed shot out of a cannon.

It began with national disrespect and the Southern chip on the shoulder, but like most things it went too far and became a cliche.

Reactions: B1GTide

Amaizing Blue

Dec 4, 2023

That makes sense. I think it's different in that most Big Ten fans I know are similar in outlook to your friend. We cheer for our teams and actively against our rivals all the time. My perfect college football weekend is Michigan winning while Ohio State, Michigan State, and Notre Dame all lose. Maybe that's shortsighted and negative, but that's the way it's always been. :)

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
That makes sense. I think it's different in that most Big Ten fans I know are similar in outlook to your friend. We cheer for our teams and actively against our rivals all the time. My perfect college football weekend is Michigan winning while Ohio State, Michigan State, and Notre Dame all lose. Maybe that's shortsighted and negative, but that's the way it's always been. :)
I agree - my perfect college football weekend is an Ohio State win, an Alabama win, and these losses:

Michigan
Penn State
Tennessee
Auburn
Georgia

I add other teams situationally as their losses might impact Ohio State and Alabama, but those are a given.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.