Bama Game Thread: BAMA (13) @ Kentucky (17) [CBS @ 3pm CST]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coach D

3rd Team
Apr 27, 2023
that’s old-school thinking. Right now we are first in the country and offensive efficiency, and 90th in defensive efficiency. If you took six points away from our offense, and our defense of efficiencies, our offense is still fifth, and our defense would be 15th.

Those points are equal. I’m not worried about our defense. At all. 0% concerned.

No team can compete with us on the offensive side when we are on. Unless they approach Herculean type stuff, like we saw yesterday.

Right now we don’t have the depth, or the talent needed to reach the final four. But it has nothing to do with our effort, and it has nothing to do with our inability to play defense.

We have greatly outperformed expectations this year so far.
If we don’t have the talent then doesn’t that translate to worse d than if we had more talent vs no problems or worry about the d? Yes they have performed better than expectations after starting the season, besides the media which who cares about don’t coaches and fans have higher expectations than 5th in SEC? And if you’ve written off this team why argue about the d? Becoming a successful program expectations rise.

None of this is complaining about coaches or anything just calling a spade a spade and it’s all critiquing and minor when we have a coach this good and the program humming because of him.

But the d is not good, maybe it’s ok but regardless needs to be a little better. I don’t get the talk of “If you took six points away from our offense, and our defense of efficiencies, our offense is still fifth, and our defense would be 15th.” Our d is not losing 6 points and take away the cupcake games which skew it. At a certain point we are having to score a ton in order to win especially against good teams. This isn’t about style of play either, I know score more give up more but you do have to stop other teams a little. I know CNOs knows how to win with his style and that includes better d.

We are 3-7 in quad 1 wins. That’s not very good. Yes I know a lot were early on but still not good. Outside quad 1 this team has done amazing. This team isn’t beating the good teams outside of home but are getting killed. tournaments are outside of home. You need d to help when shots aren’t falling. But again CNO knows all this and is pushing for it. I don’t think anyone is asking to hold teams to 60 points or anything crazy though.

Coach D

3rd Team
Apr 27, 2023
In the last 4 games, we have been without Pringle, Wague and Wrightsell and Griffen has stitches over his left eye. These absences limit several personnel combinations that could contribute to better depth better defense.
I’m not sure what you are saying because Pringle has been here (suspension end barn game I think), Wague has been here except UK, Wrighsell has missed the last two only but I think Griffen has only had the stitches the last two game…

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
If we don’t have the talent then doesn’t that translate to worse d than if we had more talent vs no problems or worry about the d? Yes they have performed better than expectations after starting the season, besides the media which who cares about don’t coaches and fans have higher expectations than 5th in SEC? And if you’ve written off this team why argue about the d? Becoming a successful program expectations rise.

None of this is complaining about coaches or anything just calling a spade a spade and it’s all critiquing and minor when we have a coach this good and the program humming because of him.

But the d is not good, maybe it’s ok but regardless needs to be a little better. I don’t get the talk of “If you took six points away from our offense, and our defense of efficiencies, our offense is still fifth, and our defense would be 15th.” Our d is not losing 6 points and take away the cupcake games which skew it. At a certain point we are having to score a ton in order to win especially against good teams. This isn’t about style of play either, I know score more give up more but you do have to stop other teams a little. I know CNOs knows how to win with his style and that includes better d.

We are 3-7 in quad 1 wins. That’s not very good. Yes I know a lot were early on but still not good. Outside quad 1 this team has done amazing. This team isn’t beating the good teams outside of home but are getting killed. tournaments are outside of home. You need d to help when shots aren’t falling. But again CNO knows all this and is pushing for it. I don’t think anyone is asking to hold teams to 60 points or anything crazy though.
What I was trying to say is that our offensive efficiency is 25 pts higher than our defensive efficiency. There are only 7 teams with a better variance.

and if you lowered each by 6 pts per 100 possessions, our defense would be better, but the variance is the same. Our defense would then be 18th. Our offense would still be 12th (just checked). And the variance would still be 25.

what does this mean? It means that our defense is plenty good enough to win any game.

if we had lost 88 to 65, would that been better than 118-95? No. It would be the same.

we don’t need a top 50defense. Not with this offense.

we don’t have final four talent. But we can still make it. Depends on who we draw in the dance. Basketball is about matchups in March.

you can’t run our offense AND have a lockdown defense. The styles don’t jive. We want the other team to shoot fast too.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
0% concerned.

Your the only one. I bet CNO is considerably north of there.

3 SEC losses, closest one by 18. None of them ever competitive

Really good teams can win with different tempos and styles. But, those teams will guard you, especially if offense is not hot.

This feels like Michael Spinks VS Mike Tyson. I’m going to throw a Haymaker. If it lands I've got shot otherwise I'm out on the mat
11-3. Focus on the 3 on the right is football thinking. Doesn’t matter that we lost those by 18. It doesn’t matter.

the 11 we won are worth way more. Losing to strong teams on the road has the least impact on NET. The system expects you to win fewer of those games.

the win at Mississippi State has more value than the loss at Kentucky.

I promise you that Nate is more interested in motivating the team than he is actually upset.

if he cared about defense he would slow down the offense. And that ain’t happening

CrimsonTitles

1st Team
Mar 30, 2015

Tournaments are out of home, but I don't think it's so much that we're so good at home, just that we aren't good on the road. I would feel really good about a neutral site game vs Kentucky. I understand that the Purdue and Arizona games were at neutral sites, but #1 those were virtual road games, and #2 they were both against teams that will be 1 seeds in the tourney, and we were beating them for 30 minutes, and then just ran out of gas. We lost, but we played well in both of those games. We actually played extremely well in the Purdue game, considering we have no rim protector. The fact that it was even close, is a testament to how well we played. So yeah, I think our road problem is only a road problem, and not an away from home problem.

When looking at the 3-7 Quad 1 record, you also gotta remember we have one of, if not the toughest schedules in the country. Most people's quad 1 games aren't against teams like Purdue and Arizona, so the 3-7 really isn't as bad as it sounds. There's a reason the NET has us at #6, despite being 3-7 against Q1 in its own quad system.

No, we're probably not going to the final four, but I think we're at least a sweet 16 team, and have a good shot at winning the SEC tournament.

Last edited:
Reactions: BamaHoopsBoi

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
In the NCAA tournament, the rims are tighter, bigger venues, and the games are called tighter. Strong guard play is a must to advance in the tournament. I think that environment favors us compared to teams like Auburn who is not consistently good shooting teams. Teams like Tennessee and Houston are elite defensively but I'm not sure they can shoot it well enough when absolutely needed.

Reactions: CrimsonTitles

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Talk about difference in few days. LSU goes out and beats Kentucky coming back from 18 down. The next time out Kentucky destroys us by 20+ and it was worse than that. LSU coming off the big win and currently down 22 to Mississippi State at home. With basketball you just never know what can happen.
This really illustrates the difference between basketball and football and one of the reasons it's harder to predict dominance in B-ball.

BTW, it should also be noted that KY has been somewhat of a sleeping giant this season that many fans/commentators were waiting to wake up and play to their overall talent level.

We were just on the wrong end of when this happened. To our credit, we had their attention and they finally put together the kind of game many of their followers thought they had in them all season long If they could sustain this level they could easily sweep the SEC tourney.

We are between 80-90 in defensive efficiency. Those 330+ numbers just aren’t true. Those are PPG numbers.

efficiency is the number you want to look at. We aren’t great. But we are better than most. And about the same as Kentucky BTW.

Nate is just trying to get his guys focused on the last four games. Many of our games have over 80 positions. I’ve seen Purdue games with 55. With 25 more positions, if the team is shooting 50%, that’s an extra 25 points.

Let’s not overthink this
Agree. We will win with offense or else we won't win. That's CNO's MO.

I didn't get to see but a little bit of the first half, but I watched enough to see that KY was hitting almost every shot they took. We also started pretty hot too, but we must have cooled and they didn't for the whole game.

Do we need more intensity of defense and fewer breakdowns? Yeah, ask any coach that gave up 117 and he'd say that.

But we just hit a buzz saw Sat. in KY.

Reactions: Bazza

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Basketball is about matchups in March.

you can’t run our offense AND have a lockdown defense. The styles don’t jive. We want the other team to shoot fast too.
Two very important points!

1. Matchups - We don't matchup with some teams and it shows. Can't say it enough but Beds going into the draft is still hurting us at the rim!

2. Our MO is to shoot fast and furiously! I posted a thread about this recently. It's just common sense that if you shoot/score faster the other team gets more shot opportunities too, even if they don't play a fast brand of offense.

BhamToTexas

All-American
Dec 25, 2020
Coach made a point of this. The biggest thing to me was the points off turnovers in this game. They outscored us 29-10 in that stat. If we play that even this is a 98-95 type game even with their crazy shooting stats. Have to take care of the ball better.

Reactions: Islander

UKTideFan1961

BamaNation Citizen
Oct 20, 2019
Agree. We will win with offense or else we won't win. That's CNO's MO.
Look at the years Oats has been here. First year you can't count. 2021 Bama got to the Sweet 16 and was ranked #3 in defense. 2022 Bama was 92nd in defense and was 19-14. 2023 Bama was 3rd defensively and made a Sweet 16. This year Bama is 97th defensively.

I'm not a gambling man, but if I was...

But we just hit a buzz saw Sat. in KY.
Absolutely. UK played off the charts great. The question is whether they can do it again.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Reactions: CrimsonBloodn62

CrimsonBloodn62

1st Team
Feb 1, 2002
Tuscumbia, AL
Bad look for the head coach, really. And by proxy, the program.

I looked and didn't see Coach Beard was going to do anything but the game is a couple days off so -

https://www.clarionledger.com/story...davis-south-carolina-chris-beard/72750864007/
It shows how stupid some of the basketball rules are when you have refs looking at replays 4 or 5 minutes after questionable goal tending and 3 point shots and won't review a play like that. The South Carolina administration should be all over the SEC office for doing nothing on that blatant hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.

Latest threads