Ah, Florida - words fail me II

N.al-tider

3rd Team
Mar 18, 2024
First, I believe 'climate change' was a term coined by the right (Luntz?). Second, by all measurements, it is real and it is here. The science is indisputable. Third, protesting in China would not go too well!
Ok, I'll play that game. Climate change is real. But the important part about it is that it is cyclical. NASA scientist say that the earth has gone through eight (8) cycles of cooling and warming. How can that be disputed?

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
There are quite a few things that seem to contradict that…book banning, don’t say gay policy, don’t mention climate change in government policies and no abortions after 6 weeks of being pregnant all come to mind.
You can cherry pick policies as much as you want, but based on both economic and personal freedoms, it's long ranked near the top, and still does:

• Emphasis!
Reactions: Bazza

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Ok, I'll play that game. Climate change is real. But the important part about it is that it is cyclical. NASA scientist say that the earth has gone through eight (8) cycles of cooling and warming. How can that be disputed?
Climate is cyclical, climate change is not, its cumulative with the build up of greenhouse gases . I dont dispute what NASA said but that has nothing to do with the climate change that we are talking about and experiencing.

N.al-tider

3rd Team
Mar 18, 2024
Climate is cyclical, climate change is not, its cumulative with the build up of greenhouse gases . I dont dispute what NASA said but that has nothing to do with the climate change that we are talking about and experiencing.
Fair enough! But there is absolutely NOTHING that can be done in the U.S. to reduce greenhouse gases globally to a level that would be acceptable if China and other countries who produce them aren't curbed. I guess we could always pay more in taxes...

Reactions: dtgreg

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Fair enough! But there is absolutely NOTHING that can be done in the U.S. to reduce greenhouse gases globally to a level that would be acceptable if China and other countries who produce them aren't curbed. I guess we could always pay more in taxes...
Plenty of things can and are (to a small extent) being done here and in other countries. China and India will eventually do it too. We dont have to wait on anyone else but this is a better discussion for the climate thread.

dtgreg

All-American
Jul 24, 2000
Tuscaloosa
www.electricmonkeywrench.com
You're so correct. I heard a story that some chinaman was bragging to an american about how China would catch and surpass us and and the American said "we will beat you at solar while you're still choking on 18th century coal emissions". Well, head on down to Lynn Layton for your new BYD.

Huckleberry

All-American
Nov 9, 2004
Jacksonville, FL
An official panel set up to draw up language on financial impact of proposed amendments is poised to put a statement on 2024 ballot that suggests passage of abortion initiative could lead to taxpayer-paid abortions ...

The group has spent most of the day hashing this out. The panel, which normally composed of rank-and-file staffers, has been changed for this session. Gov's office added DeSantis' one-time budget chief while the House hired a staffer from Heritage Foundation to serve as its rep.

• Facepalm
Reactions: NationalTitles18

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California

Judge Mark Walker of the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida issued a permanent injunction, saying the law that bans diversity training in private workplaces “violates free speech rights under the First and Fourteenth Amendments to the U.S. Constitution.” The ruling follows a three-judge appeals court panel’s March decision that upheld Walker’s original injunction. The State of Florida did not oppose the motion to make the ruling permanent.
Apparently, the state realized it had no chance to impose its will on private businesses to control what topics they’re permitted to talk about. This followed a string of losses in the lower court — both in this lawsuit, which concerns private businesses and a similar constitutional challenge against the law’s application to public universities.

The lower court doesn’t like that lawsuit either and has already issued an injunction. That one is still being appealed by the state. Even though that lawsuit deals with a bit more gray-ish area of First Amendment law (the government placing speech restrictions on government employees), it seems likely this too will meet a similar fate when the Eleventh Circuit Appeals Court reviews it.
The good news is the law is 50% dead. Hopefully, the Stop WOKE Act will be completely buried in the near future.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
It may come as a surprise to you, but the normal state for Earth is glaciated. We are in an "interglacial" that's called the "Holocene." We started into it around 12,000 years ago. The estimates are that it hasn't been this warm in 2,000 years. When the other interglacials ended, humans just adapted to colder temps and/or migrated south (or north, in the southern hemisphere). The wild card is that, in the earlier interglacials, the campfires of humans, after we appeared, were not enough to modify the natural cycle. That's no longer true, with the massive amounts of greenhouse gasses pumped into the atmosphere, it could go either way. Either we have an extraordinarily hot interglacial OR we get instant glaciation. There is some evidence that ice ages come on rapidly - mammoths frozen with fresh flowers in their mouths, etc. The North Atlantic circulation is slowing down, probably as a result of massive inflows of fresh water from Greenland ice-melt. There is some evidence that's caused ice ages before. Best case - Northern Europe becomes uninhabitable. Worst case - it's buried under ice, and north Alabama becomes beachfront. At 85 this year, I won't be around to see it. Probably...

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
And Sasse was supposed to be one of the Republican Senators with a sense of ethics.

Trump gets credit for corrupting the Republican Party but Sasse evidently didn’t need Trump’s help. Whoever pushed him into that Florida job should not be making decisions for a public university.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
It may come as a surprise to you, but the normal state for Earth is glaciated. We are in an "interglacial" that's called the "Holocene." We started into it around 12,000 years ago. The estimates are that it hasn't been this warm in 2,000 years. When the other interglacials ended, humans just adapted to colder temps and/or migrated south (or north, in the southern hemisphere). The wild card is that, in the earlier interglacials, the campfires of humans, after we appeared, were not enough to modify the natural cycle. That's no longer true, with the massive amounts of greenhouse gasses pumped into the atmosphere, it could go either way. Either we have an extraordinarily hot interglacial OR we get instant glaciation. There is some evidence that ice ages come on rapidly - mammoths frozen with fresh flowers in their mouths, etc. The North Atlantic circulation is slowing down, probably as a result of massive inflows of fresh water from Greenland ice-melt. There is some evidence that's caused ice ages before. Best case - Northern Europe becomes uninhabitable. Worst case - it's buried under ice, and north Alabama becomes beachfront. At 85 this year, I won't be around to see it. Probably...
This is really an excellent summary of a tremendous amount of scientific information. I have no expertise at all but what I have seen in addition to what you discussed are gradual changes in the tilt of the earth orbit that would place the northern hemisphere further from Sun and usher in a new ice age. Too many variables in the system to predict but we have an awfully hot period to get through now!

N.al-tider

3rd Team
Mar 18, 2024
And Sasse was supposed to be one of the Republican Senators with a sense of ethics.

Trump gets credit for corrupting the Republican Party but Sasse evidently didn’t need Trump’s help. Whoever pushed him into that Florida job should not be making decisions for a public university.
Did Trump actually corrupt the GOP or did his actions simply reveal the level of corruption that was already there? FWIW, I lean towards the later...

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.