Bama Game Thread: Official Postgame Thread - Bama @ Vandy...

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
I wouldn't call this the worst loss in school history. The result is not as shocking as you might think. The Vandy OC (Tim Beck), along with Jerry Kill (consultant) did this the last two years at NMSU with Pavia and Stowers. They turned around arguably the worst team in the history of D1 in two years at NMSU. They are very creative and pick apart the most minute defensive tendencies, looking for weaknesses to exploit. At NMSU they embarrassed Liberty two years ago and Auburn last year. A whole lot of solid work went into beating Alabama. Absolutely, Alabama should not have lost. Defensively they should had some looks Vandy wouldn't know what to do with.
I don’t think Vandy really cared what defense we were in. They were running their offense regardless. Find the ball if you can. We had ten in the box on one play and they shoveled underneath for 38 yards. How does that happen? Poor recognition is how. It goes down as a pass play , but we all know it was basically an off tackle running play vs 10 in the box.

SkullDuckery

1st Team
Dec 28, 2015
I don’t think Vandy really cared what defense we were in. They were running their offense regardless. Find the ball if you can. We had ten in the box on one play and they shoveled underneath for 38 yards. How does that happen? Poor recognition is how. It goes down as a pass play , but we all know it was basically an off tackle running play vs 10 in the box.
Yep…Womack was just out coached and the players were lost against that offense. The QB is basically like have an offensive coordinator out there running it, he did the same thing to Auburn at Auburn with lesser talent than Vandy.

Reactions: B1GTide and CB4

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I was on a plane over the north Atlantic yesterday so I did not see the game.
I see the stats. Vandy dominated TOP, and had lots of 3rd down conversions.
Having a bad game is understandable. I just hope Coach BeBoer knows how losing to Vandy is seen by the people around this program. It ain't good. It happens every other dcade or so, but it ain't good and it is usually a time for serious reflexion about "where we are and whither we are tending." Serious reflexion. Maybe only Coach Saban can advise him on how serious.
How the coaching staff handles this from this point on is the important thing at this point. Maybe no music at practice and no more ice cream will demonstrate how serious this is.

Beat So Carolina, then Tennessee, then LSU, and Auburn, and he will have righted the ship.

Last edited:

kwftide

1st Team
Oct 20, 1999
Mebane, NC
It seems a perfect storm of Vandy’s triple option and a player’s coach mentality and the terrible after effects of NIL on college football. If you suddenly lay down the hammer, they will walk. If you don’t, they will likely go through the motions in all but the biggest games where shining earns extra dollars. As CNS said so many times, it is what it is.

rjtide

1st Team
Dec 15, 1999
AL
To be frank, our coaches have probably never seen that kind of offense before thus not really knowing how to defend it. Thus just thought who cares we will out talent and out score them.

If we would have played man assignment football rather than gap assignment football with better tackling we would have been okay today. But we retreaded the same defensive gamplan from prior weeks.
This is the issue......it was a total lack of game week prep by the defensive coaches and ultimately coach deboer. Simply inexplicable. I mean we'll be alright and I'm not calling for anyone to be fired and am not a 'the sky is falling' type of guy but the defense looked TOTALLY unprepared for the type of offense vandy runs

Reactions: CrimsonRuss

Cruiser

All-American
Sep 24, 2015
Awbern was counting on winning the Vandy game to get to 4 wins....

Now it's starting to look like they may only win one more game the rest of the year.😎
Freeze has to face Jerry "Kryptonite" Kill again who is on Vandy's staff. He embarrassed Freeze as NMSU HC against Liberty and the Barn as big underdog.

denver

All-American
Nov 11, 2017
Sorry if already addressed but who is responsible for sending players in on special teams, specifically a punt return?
That one ia easily fixed....NO players have duplicate numbers on the team...simple....not sure why they have them in the first place..you can go up to 99....more than enough not to have dupes. It cost us that possession and 2 15 yard penalties later...a TD

AlistarWills

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2006
He needs to sit this week against USCe.
Supposed to be a team leader, one of the core, and fell into one of the same old tired trap Vandy always throws out there with the jawing. He knows better. Frankly I’d like to see him touch all the steps in the lower bowl of BDS for his behavior. That’s not how a team leader behaves.

bamajas

1st Team
Oct 5, 2005
Jasper, AL
Right, this is how option based offenses work. I get the sentiment behind people saying "We didn't adjust," but we actually did, and those adjustments then opened up the plays like you're talking about. Fundamentals like assignments and tackling are most important against those offenses

UK will probably do well against them next week because they have an experienced, well-coached defense

Reactions: AlexanderFan

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Right, this is how option based offenses work. I get the sentiment behind people saying "We didn't adjust," but we actually did, and those adjustments then opened up the plays like you're talking about. Fundamentals like assignments and tackling are most important against those offenses

UK will probably do well against them next week because they have an experienced, well-coached defense
Please tell me about these adjustments that you saw.

Superdad

1st Team
Sep 17, 2009
I'm only 42, but would y'all consider this loss worse than the loss to Memphis St. In 1987 or the NIU loss in 2003?
I would say this is much worse. Much more of a talent difference in this game than the other 2. I doubt very many of these Vandy players could play for Bama. Some, but not many. This Bama team was completely unprepared & it was embarrassing.

AlistarWills

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2006
I really feel like the special teams penalty with the duplicate numbers was the turning point of the game. We had them stopped and was going to get the ball and go score putting them behind. Giving them the ball back and letting them get up 2 scores really gave them momentum and had them believing in themselves.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I really feel like the special teams penalty with the duplicate numbers was the turning point of the game. We had them stopped and was going to get the ball and go score putting them behind. Giving them the ball back and letting them get up 2 scores really gave them momentum and had them believing in themselves.
I agree. Alabama was going to take the lead and who knows how Vandy responds.

Superdad

1st Team
Sep 17, 2009
so far, i am not a womack fan at all. Almost without fail he'll switch our alignment from the even 4-2 front to an odd 3-3 look and we'll get killed because we either lose the edge cause our bandit and DT type guys don't have the speed/agility to really hold the edge, or they run right at the Wolf LB who is lined up over the OG cause he isn't built to deal with the doubles and traffic the IOL can create. It's maddening.
I agree. So far, this guy has done nothing to impress me. We've played zero defense for 6 1/2 straight quarters now. Except for the pick in the end zone last week.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.

Latest threads