Bama Game Thread: Official Postgame Thread - Bama @ Vandy...

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
I still firmly believe in Coach DeBoer but if you go back to last year at Washington, his team had a tendency to play down to comp a lot, struggled against Arizona State, Stanford, Oregon State, and Wazzu but at the same time he beat Oregon twice, and Texas.

Fast forward to this year, struggle against USF, lose to Vandy, but beat UGA.

Playing down to competition is a dangerous game in the SEC, even if it’s Vandy as we saw today.
All of last year I was telling my friend that Washington was a soft team playing in a weak conference and was overrated. They somehow managed to make it to the NC so I kinda had to eat my words. But I don’t think I was wrong either. They were a soft team. I watched them have to have a miracle comeback against a bad Arizona team (I think it was them).

This Alabama team is feeling like watching Washington struggle win every single weekend last year.

Reactions: gtgilbert and TD7

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Alabama had 9 possessions as did Vandy. Vandy punted only twice. Bama punted twice as well. We turned it over twice, leading to scores.

But THIS is absurd. Vandy possessed the ball for 42 minutes….almost 3/4 of the game. They were 12/18 on 3rd down and 1/1 on 4th down.

Vanderbilt controlled the game…period.

IMG_2599.jpeg

Last edited:

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
I wouldn't call this the worst loss in school history. The result is not as shocking as you might think. The Vandy OC (Tim Beck), along with Jerry Kill (consultant) did this the last two years at NMSU with Pavia and Stowers. They turned around arguably the worst team in the history of D1 in two years at NMSU. They are very creative and pick apart the most minute defensive tendencies, looking for weaknesses to exploit. At NMSU they embarrassed Liberty two years ago and Auburn last year. A whole lot of solid work went into beating Alabama. Absolutely, Alabama should not have lost. Defensively they should had some looks Vandy wouldn't know what to do with.
Post 0f the day

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Other teams losing does not make me feel any better about Alabama losing to Vandy. I will never understand that line of thinking.

Don't get me wrong, I want UM, TN and AU to lose every game they play. But that loss took the joy out of college football for me, even with my Bucks winning convincingly. I know it will return, but it hasn't yet.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Other teams losing does not make me feel any better about Alabama losing to Vandy. I will never understand that line of thinking.

Don't get me wrong, I want UM, TN and AU to lose every game they play. But that loss took the joy out of college football for me, even with my Bucks winning convincingly. I know it will return, but it hasn't yet.
Well said. Nothing about Tennessee losing or Auburn getting thumped makes me feel any better about the clown show by Alabama as a defense yesterday.

Last edited:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Y'all remembe the game when Georgia State (?) who ran the wishbone/flexbone (similar to Vandy) ran up and down the field on a CNS team?

I don't remember the details, but I remember we won.

But Vandy is an SEC team and there were at least 2-3 plays that probably flipped the scoreboard to 14-21 points their way. Add to that they held the ball 3/4 of the time and made 3rd down conversions all day long. To their credit, they made those plays, but these type of games happen every decade or two.

Coach Bryant lost to Vandy in 1969. Perkins lost to them in 1984.

It does happen. But it won't be the end of Bama football!

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
As an old time Bama fan, the insults to injury in that game yesterday were how Vandy dominated TOP like Bama use to do in the 1970’s under Bryant and early on in the Saban era and how they gashed us TWICE in key situations with the “Utah shovel pass”. It too was a staple of our offenses years ago.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
I have never seen a running team convert so many 3rd and 7s in my life. 2 plays net 2 or three yards and then a chunk play on third and long. And we led the country in third down defense before Saturday. I never cared much for the 4-2-5. I know a couple of NFL teams use it, and we used a lot of the same concepts when Dallas Turner played mostly like a rush end, but LBs fill run lanes and bring the physicality. I know I’m probably over reacting because yesterday’s loss was basic coaching. several times I saw players moving their heads looking for the ball as the ballcarrier runs past them. Really confused on that side of the ball. Maybe it was the dark uniforms with the dark brown ball?

Last edited:

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
Lot's of things going on here....
New systems on both sides of the ball without the right players to run them.

So much super-star hype. Way too much talk about individual awards.

Not sure about the defense but something is very much amiss there.

Offense is super talented but doesn't control the clock. Defense is probably still tired from the last game. Will probably be the case until we get someone that can run thr CKD offense as designed.

We play a lot more players than CNS did and many of those are very young. It'll pay off in time but in the short run mistakes will be made.

When was the last time our QB2 took a snap?

Feast or famine with the guys we have. When they're on the sky is the limit.

I'd say we missed Caleb Downs today.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Y'all remembe the game when Georgia State (?) who ran the wishbone/flexbone (similar to Vandy) ran up and down the field on a CNS team?

I don't remember the details, but I remember we won.

But Vandy is an SEC team and there were at least 2-3 plays that probably flipped the scoreboard to 14-21 points their way. Add to that they held the ball 3/4 of the time and made 3rd down conversions all day long. To their credit, they made those plays, but these type of games happen every decade or two.

Coach Bryant lost to Vandy in 1969. Perkins lost to them in 1984.

It does happen. But it won't be the end of Bama football!
FCS Georgia Southern. ‘Blank through a tin horn’ I believe Nick called it. And if it was just this game in itself I would agree with you. But couple it with the second half VS UGA and throw in the USF game and all of the opponents 10-15 play drives in almost every game, and I see a problem.

Reactions: gtgilbert

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Would not have mattered. The defensive front wins and loses games like this, not the secondary. Alabama's secondary actually played very well in that game.

ETA, when you play a triple option team you have to take away the first two options first. You have to literally stuff the middle of the LOS and get someone in the QBs face, forcing him to make a choice early. And you have to do this while maintaining the edge of the defense. Alabama did none of those things on 3rd down. You did on first and second down until late in the game (defense was exhausted by then), but on 3rd down you played some freaked out 3-3 scheme that has zero chance of working against an SEC team.

The secondary was an afterthought in this game. They really never had a chance to make an impact.

Last edited:

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I have never seen a running team convert so many 3rd and 7s in my life. 2 plays net 2 or three yards and then a chunk play on third and long. And we led the country in third down defense before Saturday. I never cared much for the 4-2-5. I know several NFL teams use it, and we used a lot of the same concepts when Dallas Turner played mostly like a rush end, but LBs fill run lanes and bring the physicality. I know I’m probably over reacting because yesterday’s loss was basic coaching. several times I saw players moving their heads looking for the ball as the ballcarrier runs past them. Really confused on that side of the ball. Maybe it was the dark uniforms with the dark brown ball?
Agree. I think they were so concerned with Pavia and using his skill as a runner on the edge LB’s and secondary had their eyes on him and not their assignments. And while we were 2nd in the nation in 3rd down stops, we were had also gone 10/14 in our previous games in allowing conversions on 4th down. When you figured that into the equation, we went from about 17% to about 34%. So we were having issues getting off the field.
IMO Wommack’s defense is predicated on getting turnovers, making negative plays and having the other team’s offense implode by making stupid penalties. Yesterday, Vandy didn’t up huge negative plays, only had 20 yards in penalties and did not turnover it over.
Bottom line - Vandy played with discipline and a chip on their shoulder. We played like we were reading instagram posts from our “fat little girls” about how great we are….

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.

Latest threads