CFN: Florida State and the "Rigged" College Football Playoff: Daily Cavalcade

CrimsonBloodn62

1st Team
Feb 1, 2002
Tuscumbia, AL
What is so stupid about all of this is that the BCS formula had controversy over who would finish second to get into the championship game. Then, when two SEC teams finished in the top two, they wanted to change the rules so it would never happen again. So they came up with this playoff committee format. Now there's this fuss over who should have been number 4 with this committee. Guess what? We will still have this same controversy over who should be number twelve starting next year. People are going to complain, no matter what formula or commitment they come up with.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
What is so stupid about all of this is that the BCS formula had controversy over who would finish second to get into the championship game. Then, when two SEC teams finished in the top two, they wanted to change the rules so it would never happen again. So they came up with this playoff committee format. Now there's this fuss over who should have been number 4 with this committee. Guess what? We will still have this same controversy over who should be number twelve starting next year. People are going to complain, no matter what formula or commitment they come up with.
I agree, but then it will only be about money. I doubt that we will ever see a team that far down the list actually win the CFP. We have seen the 4th team win it.

bamatex82

All-SEC
Oct 5, 2001
Greenville, TX
I agree, but then it will only be about money. I doubt that we will ever see a team that far down the list actually win the CFP. We have seen the 4th team win it.
I don't know, but our 2010 squad came together so well that by the end of the season they looked like the best team in the nation. However, with 3 losses I don't think they earned the right. The next year continued on that roll to win it all. I've always wondered if that squad could have beaten USC or Texas cause those teams didn't know how to play defense.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
Yes, if the CFP committee has to choose a 3 loss team for the #12 spot and there's six 3 loss teams to choose from there will be one happy team and 5 complainers.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
Rumor.. Florida St rumored to join The Big Ten within the next month..

Which makes noooooo sense at all..I guess they just don't want to play big boy football in The SEC..😂😂

Here's The Link..

The BIG10 is trying very hard to become the first completely national “conference”, although that that point it’s not a conference it’s just a league. They are definitely, 100% trying to poach on the SEC. The SEC has probably been the most proactive in these things to date, BIG10 wants the jump.

Reactions: TideMan09

hfhmilkman

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 8, 2023
Greetings. I joined this board because the debate on the fate of FSU is profound to me. This is my take. The NFL league is the fairest most competitive league in the world. It is wildly successful because a small city like Green Bay has as good a chance to win the Super Bowl as any New York or LA franchise. Three guys can't get together and decide to play together in Miami Beach and win a championship.

College football is almost as popular despite being completely unfair. For any given season, it is well known in September that the vast majority of teams have no chance to compete for a championship. Yet for some strange reason that is also unique to the world, tens of thousands of fans will attend, and millions will watch on TV a couple teams that have no hope to compete for the big prize. Even the big teams with the most competitive schedules are rarely pushed. Why are college football fans such fools? Do we enjoy watching one sided outcomes? Do we enjoy watching a game that is pointless? Or is it because we can dream?

There appears to be something about the college game that appeals to people. This includes its structure and the fact that there are conferences. Could it be that all fans of the non-blueblood's dream of their chance? The current four team system history is strewn with teams that are clearly not one of the four best in college football. I will throw some scores from each year. Oregon 59 FSU 20, Alabama 38 MSU 0, Clemson 31 OSU 0, etc. It's pretty darn clear that the four best teams have never been picked. It is not even close. Walk scores. Why was this done until now?

In my opinion college football is an illusion. Because of the money, the game is trending towards NFL minor league. The question for me is will college football survive? Part of this illusion in my opinion is that if a team in a major conference ran the table, it was in. We have always allowed also rans to dream, even if there was no chance. By changing the rules, this illusion is shattered. If you can't beat them, join them. The ACC and Big12 are irrelevant. So are all of the other conferences. 12 teams will not change it. Most of the positions will be SEC or Big10. Dare I relabel them NFL and AFL, soon to be NFC and AFC?

When does a "Premier League" system begin where the 20 best schools that have a chance in September are all in one league? You have two conferences and a Super Bowl. That means every game is competitive and fierce. Injuries will pile up just like in the NFL because the players will have to play 70 snaps a week. They will be paid a salary and be employees of the university. Perhaps they will not even have to attend class. Most of them don't already as its all online. Are we going to want to watch this future product when what we see on Saturday is so close to what we see on Sunday?

Why is this happening now? My speculation is NIL and transfer rules threw a monkey wrench into the system. The concentration of football talent guaranteed that there were always going to be one or two ultra dominant SEC teams. This is the most diluted I have ever seen it. The age of Tua, Hurts, Najee Harris, Josh Jacobs, DeVonta Smith, Ruggs, Calvin Ridley, and Jerry Jeudy being on one team are over. The best teams are still the best. But 2017 Texas would never be close to an Alabama even if Texas was very good.

The illusion worked quite well, and it was no big deal to offer false hope to a couple chumps. But now everything is muddled, and the teams are closer in talent. Jordan Travis is a marginal NFL prospect, perhaps a 6th round choice. I would argue that Keon Coleman who is a 1st round draft pick could catch jump balls from a backup QB, aka sort of like what Michael Thomas did to Alabama. Those 1st and 2nd day NFL picks on defense who throttled LSU can do the rest. I saw Philidelphia win a Super Bowl with a backup QB. I saw Urban Meyers most talented teams taken down by a backup QB in Columbus. And we take the words of a bunch administrators that they know football. We want to be like China and pick our winners. No surprises for us.

What is done is done. What is worse to me is the illusions are being torn down. College football unlike the pro game is about dreams. There was never a chance. But now not even the dreams are possible. FSU was probably not the one of the four best teams. But when their dream was taken away, every other team and fan base with no prayer of a chance had their dreams taken away too. What happens when the collective football dreams wake up? Is it college football any longer?

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
The BIG10 is trying very hard to become the first completely national “conference”, although that that point it’s not a conference it’s just a league. They are definitely, 100% trying to poach on the SEC. The SEC has probably been the most proactive in these things to date, BIG10 wants the jump.
The current FSU excuse is FSU doesn't won't to be in a conference with Alabama. That is a valid excuse. FSU would have to play Alabama, Georgia, and Texas... and FSU has hurt feelings right now due to the playoff committee not picking FSU.
Not to mention the embarrassment of getting beat by Bama, Ga., and TX. The yearly butt whippings FSU would face in the SEC would damage their reputation.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
Greetings. I joined this board because the debate on the fate of FSU is profound to me. This is my take. The NFL league is the fairest most competitive league in the world. It is wildly successful because a small city like Green Bay has as good a chance to win the Super Bowl as any New York or LA franchise. Three guys can't get together and decide to play together in Miami Beach and win a championship.

College football is almost as popular despite being completely unfair. For any given season, it is well known in September that the vast majority of teams have no chance to compete for a championship. Yet for some strange reason that is also unique to the world, tens of thousands of fans will attend, and millions will watch on TV a couple teams that have no hope to compete for the big prize. Even the big teams with the most competitive schedules are rarely pushed. Why are college football fans such fools? Do we enjoy watching one sided outcomes? Do we enjoy watching a game that is pointless? Or is it because we can dream?

There appears to be something about the college game that appeals to people. This includes its structure and the fact that there are conferences. Could it be that all fans of the non-blueblood's dream of their chance? The current four team system history is strewn with teams that are clearly not one of the four best in college football. I will throw some scores from each year. Oregon 59 FSU 20, Alabama 38 MSU 0, Clemson 31 OSU 0, etc. It's pretty darn clear that the four best teams have never been picked. It is not even close. Walk scores. Why was this done until now?

In my opinion college football is an illusion. Because of the money, the game is trending towards NFL minor league. The question for me is will college football survive? Part of this illusion in my opinion is that if a team in a major conference ran the table, it was in. We have always allowed also rans to dream, even if there was no chance. By changing the rules, this illusion is shattered. If you can't beat them, join them. The ACC and Big12 are irrelevant. So are all of the other conferences. 12 teams will not change it. Most of the positions will be SEC or Big10. Dare I relabel them NFL and AFL, soon to be NFC and AFC?

When does a "Premier League" system begin where the 20 best schools that have a chance in September are all in one league? You have two conferences and a Super Bowl. That means every game is competitive and fierce. Injuries will pile up just like in the NFL because the players will have to play 70 snaps a week. They will be paid a salary and be employees of the university. Perhaps they will not even have to attend class. Most of them don't already as its all online. Are we going to want to watch this future product when what we see on Saturday is so close to what we see on Sunday?

Why is this happening now? My speculation is NIL and transfer rules threw a monkey wrench into the system. The concentration of football talent guaranteed that there were always going to be one or two ultra dominant SEC teams. This is the most diluted I have ever seen it. The age of Tua, Hurts, Najee Harris, Josh Jacobs, DeVonta Smith, Ruggs, Calvin Ridley, and Jerry Jeudy being on one team are over. The best teams are still the best. But 2017 Texas would never be close to an Alabama even if Texas was very good.

The illusion worked quite well, and it was no big deal to offer false hope to a couple chumps. But now everything is muddled, and the teams are closer in talent. Jordan Travis is a marginal NFL prospect, perhaps a 6th round choice. I would argue that Keon Coleman who is a 1st round draft pick could catch jump balls from a backup QB, aka sort of like what Michael Thomas did to Alabama. Those 1st and 2nd day NFL picks on defense who throttled LSU can do the rest. I saw Philidelphia win a Super Bowl with a backup QB. I saw Urban Meyers most talented teams taken down by a backup QB in Columbus. And we take the words of a bunch administrators that they know football. We want to be like China and pick our winners. No surprises for us.

What is done is done. What is worse to me is the illusions are being torn down. College football unlike the pro game is about dreams. There was never a chance. But now not even the dreams are possible. FSU was probably not the one of the four best teams. But when their dream was taken away, every other team and fan base with no prayer of a chance had their dreams taken away too. What happens when the collective football dreams wake up? Is it college football any longer?
Welcome Milk Man! That was A LOT of reading to get to FSU not being one of the 4 best teams…

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

1) The illusion was created by:
a) regional matchups that never ventured out of the region due to cost
b) many of the powers of that region rarely meeting on the field (Alabama and Ole Miss met on the field only twice between 1934 and 1965 - and one was a Sugar Bowl game being boycotted by non-Southern teams due to segregation. But this wasn't just a Southern thing since the Big Ten often played only eight games)
c) the only time powers met outside of a region was in a bowl game

2) The illusion was lengthened/sustained by:
a) segregation - back in the day, schedules were known for ten years out, so even if Coach Bryant had waved the nonexistent magic wand on the day Wallace stood in the schoolhouse door, Alabama still wouldn't have played some of the powers until AT LEAST 1973 or later.
b) the war between the Rose Bowl conferences and the non (the CFA), which prevented teams from playing each other because of potential litigation over which network got to show the games
c) a series of Independents winning national championships that created the illusion "any team can win the title"

Much of what had to be torn down had its roots in the 1980s and the perfect storm of national championship upsets that sustained an unexamined reality: conferences blocked teams from winning national championships:

1980 - Georgia avoids the two other best teams in the SEC and wins a fluke title over N Dame*
1981 - Clemson moves up when Pitt chokes then wins that one game against Nebraska
1982 - Independent Penn State wins it when #1 UGA, #3 Nebraska, #4 SMU, and #5 UCLA are obligated to different bowls but Penn State can pick who they want to play.
1983 - Miami pole vaults to #1 from #5 thanks to a fluke win over #1 Nebraska and the bowl obligations of #2 Texas, #3 Auburn, and #4 Illinois; in the BCS era, Nebraska would play Texas, and Miami wouldn't even make the CFP in a vote, either.
1984 - BYU plays nobody and wins it all; nowadays they'd at least have two decent foes to beat.
1985 - Oklahoma wins only because they're ranked ahead of a Miam team that trounced them in Norman (27-14); nowadays, they have to beat Miami in a rematch. Probably.
1986 - two Independents with no bowl obligations meet and Penn State survives.
1987 - Miami stays below radar and the hype surrounding the two Big 8 monsters enables them to set up a "winner is champion" against the winner of the Oklahoma-Nebraska semi-final
1988 - Notre Dame gets to avoid six one-loss teams and face the weakest, who happens to be undefeated.
1989 - Miami wins it when Notre Dame takes out #1 Colorado and three SEC teams (Alabama, Auburn, Tennessee) split the SEC title thanks to fratricide.

What happened in 1990?
Notre Dame signed a TV deal with NBC, splitting the CFA
That was in response to Penn State announcing they were headed to the Big Ten (late 1989)
The SEC - without N Dame - insisted on a larger portion of the revenue from any CFA TV deal or they were going to market themselves
The SEC also expanded by two teams to start in 1992
When the SEC told the SWC they wanted some teams from Texas AND took Arkansas...the SWC imploded and married the Big Eight in a shotgun wedding

What we have now was set up by teams making sure they had a seat when the music stopped playing, but it was always there. It's just when Auburn could upset Alabama in the 1989 Iron Bowl, teams got knocked out with no second chance and in many cases allowed lesser teams (ahem, 1990 Tech) to win it all.

* - not to pick on UGA in any way, but have you WATCHED that game? It was ND ineptitude that gave it away. Don't take it as me blaming UGA for the schedule, it was the system as it was.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Rumor.. Florida St rumored to join The Big Ten within the next month..

Which makes noooooo sense at all..I guess they just don't want to play big boy football in The SEC..😂😂

Here's The Link..

This is a tactic to scare the SEC that the B1G is encroaching on their territory.

Gonna be hilarious if as many of us bolt as say we are because nobody is going to be able to afford anything anyway.

I'm sorry, but I don't watch CFB so that Marvin Harrison, Jr (who grew up wealthy) can stay at Ohio State for $20 million instead of go to the NFL. (I'm not picking on Harrison that's just the most prominent story I saw yesterday).

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK

If Florida state had been picked over bama you could make the same argument the opposite way saying that Alabama’s dream had been taken away. Just do it again next year and remove all doubt. First, beat Georgia then we can talk. Until FSU beats a powerhouse team you don’t get a seat at the big boy table. And LSU is not a powerhouse team. Georgia is, Florida State gets a chance in the Orange bowl to state their case, but not if they do something stupid like boycott the bowl invite, that would just make them look scared not validated

Tidelines

All-American
Oct 19, 2022
Does anyone else find it funny that Tommy Tubberville (Ole Wingnut) is defending the committee's decision to put Alabama in the playoff?

I don't know much, but it seems like Wingnut is right on the nose here, he really is the most experienced in these matters, as he is literally the only politic in washington to have been a College Football coach AND get his team to 13-0 and be snubbed by the championship game. No other politician can have that experience. So I find it funny that the former Auburn head coach defending, well then again based on that article not really defending but more-so condescendingly thumbing at the Senator from Florida.
Politicians will say anything for a vote.

Reactions: dWarriors88

bama2112

All-American
Nov 19, 2006
Cobb County, Ga.
Selma. thanks for replying to the guy because to be honest after all the college football bashing he wrote in the first 3 paragraphs, I scrolled down and read your responses. Nice job and I am one who is truly glad your a Bama. I am sure you heard that accolade in the past

• Roll Tide!
Reactions: The Ols

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
1993 West Virginia feels the pain Florida State inflicted on them, but like with everything in the world, Florida State didn't give a damn until the shoe was on the other foot.

(And please - don't come back with "but they lost to Florida", a game that never would have been played had they played Nebraska as they should have in the modern FSU worldview).

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
i'll have you know sir, that "fluke" sustained the delusions of championship tradition for a massive fanbase for 40 years
Look, Georgia won by the standards we had at the time, so I don't begrudge them their cheer.
And in their defense, they probably were the best team in the country in 1981, but you can't turn the ball over 9 times against Clemson, lose head-to-head, and then hope you win a title, either.

They had a magical year in 1980, no doubt, but Notre Dame largely outplayed them in that game.

I saw it for the first time around 2000 or 2001, and I couldn't believe how it looked like Notre Dame kept blowing their feet off.

Notre Dame:
- beat them in 1st downs (17-10, not even close)
- netted 201 more yards running only 13 more plays
- held the ball for 9 more minutes
- held QB Buck Belue to 13 carries for -34 yards and only let him complete one pass
- allowed fewer total yards (127) than Herschel had rushing yards (153)

Georgia got their first TD when Notre Dame fumbled a kickoff inside their own 5 and a second when the Irish fumbled at their own 22, which was both TDs they got.

Again, not to diminish UGA, they won fair and square, but it was one of those where afterwards you were like "WHAATT???"

Reactions: 92tide

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.

Latest threads