Roster Management for 24-25

Bama9001

1st Team
Sep 26, 2017
Nelson should come back. We've seen what he can do but he has to be much more consistent. I really didn't know he could play at the level he did in a couple of those tournament games. It's April and we're just now learning what he's capable of...maybe he's also just now learning what he's capable of. I'd love to get a whole year of THAT Grant Nelson.

There are so many roster questions right now:
Kris Parker?
Assuming Wague won't be here another year. Just never healthy enough to play.
Freshmen aren't really the key to success come tournament time...just not enough mental toughness yet (the UConn guy excluded). I'd say you need at least 10 tough-minded hombres come March.
We have to have a rim protector. GN needs to be the 'other' rim protector. Pretty sure that was the original plan until Wague couldn't go.
I'd definitely go for another year of Sears, Wrightsell, and Griffen.
I'd expect us to have a full roster of scholarship guys that will actually play in 2024-25.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
If I’m a gambling man. Here are the 13 I think are wearing crimson.

Sherrell
Reid
Cunningham
Mallette
Rylan
Stevenson
Wrightsell
Parker
Nelson
Dioubate
Walters

and 2 to be named later (two ball handlers)

I don’t think Sears is back. He was playing like it was his last game. Pringle is dramatic and may be back. But not feeling it at the moment.

Cosby can shoot and thats about it.

so we lose 6 - Sears, Estrada, Wague, Cosby, Spears, and Pringle. But that last one is iffy

Reactions: RollTide_HTTR

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Nelson should come back. We've seen what he can do but he has to be much more consistent. I really didn't know he could play at the level he did in a couple of those tournament games. It's April and we're just now learning what he's capable of...maybe he's also just now learning what he's capable of. I'd love to get a whole year of THAT Grant Nelson.

There are so many roster questions right now:
Kris Parker?
Assuming Wague won't be here another year. Just never healthy enough to play.
Freshmen aren't really the key to success come tournament time...just not enough mental toughness yet (the UConn guy excluded). I'd say you need at least 10 tough-minded hombres come March.
We have to have a rim protector. GN needs to be the 'other' rim protector. Pretty sure that was the original plan until Wague couldn't go.
I'd definitely go for another year of Sears, Wrightsell, and Griffen.
I'd expect us to have a full roster of scholarship guys that will actually play in 2024-25.
Nelson isn’t a rim protector at all. He doesn’t have the weight.

the reason he excelled late is he finally got to play his game and not be forced into what the team needed.

Reactions: bvandegraff

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
Nelson isn’t a rim protector at all. He doesn’t have the weight.

the reason he excelled late is he finally got to play his game and not be forced into what the team needed.
Nelson could really help himself with 20-30 lbs of muscle. Don’t know if that’s doable over the course of the off season though. I do believe it would help him defend inside better. Not saying it would make him a rim protector but would help him body guys up trying to back him down.

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006

Sherrell
Reid
Cunningham
Mallette
Rylan
Stevenson
Wrightsell
Parker
Nelson
Dioubate
Walters

I don’t think Sears is back. He was playing like it was his last game. Pringle is dramatic and may be back. But not feeling it at the moment.

so we lose 6 - Sears, Estrada, Wague, Cosby, Spears, and Pringle. But that last one is iffy
Do you think NIL money could keep Sears in school, if someone came out and made a significant offer? @ 6-1 and unable to elevate to create a shot, always needing help (screen or quick pass) to get a 3 off could bite him. I could see him spend time developing ways to function in the NBA and be in the G-league for a while.

Coach D

3rd Team
Apr 27, 2023

Sherrell
Reid
Cunningham
Mallette
Rylan
Stevenson
Wrightsell
Parker
Nelson
Dioubate
Walters

Why do you think Cosby is leaving? He was getting PT until he got hurt.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Nelson could really help himself with 20-30 lbs of muscle. Don’t know if that’s doable over the course of the off season though. I do believe it would help him defend inside better. Not saying it would make him a rim protector but would help him body guys up trying to back him down.
If he could put on 20-30 pounds of muscle he wouldn’t pass a drug test, or he should quit basketball and sell whatever it was he did to do it.

Long guys have always had problems maintaining mass, all the way back to Bradley and Bol. It’s what makes these two behemoths so dominant in college.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
While it's fresh on my mind I'll just think out loud about the roster:

We have 3 new recruits/transfer (as of now) - they all can play and will make an impact next year. Sherrell can be a quality "big" but if any of you guys are looking for a "big" like Eddy or UConns from last night we aren't getting a guy like that most likely. This goes back to CNO's MO of wanting a 5 who can be more diverse than just standing in the lane. See note about Clingan below (he's very different from Eddy).

Of those currently on the team who might come back: I really hope Nelson, Wrightsell and Sears come back. Why not? With improvement (especially with Neslson) that might be about 50 points a game potential. I think other returnees have some great potential like Griffin, Stevenson and Walters. These three alone could all be 15 points a game on average type players. And Kris Parker is a 6'9" "guard." What kind of game does he have??? Cosby can shoot, but is he versatile enough to round off other parts of his game??? And little Mo.? Can he have an impact outside of the lane?

Those who might leave: Pringle won my admiration but he's an offensive liability. When he's on the floor we are playing with 4 guys on offense if they have a rim protector. I don't think he'll have a roster spot next year. I'm not sure Big Mo does either. Sears could obviously get a UDFA deal.

Newcomers? I see where we may have a couple of spots possibly come open. It could go up with some other transfers. Some have mentioned a rim protector or "big." If there's a guy like UConn's Clingan out there who's in the portal that would be a no brainer, but not a guy like Eddy. He doesn't fit our system. But another 7 footer who can be versatile would be awesome (even though Sherrell is 6'11"). The guy from Pepperdine may be a replacement for Estrada, but he's more of a shooting guard (think #2 traditionally) so a more pure PG transfer might be a possibility as well. And with the portal any big guard/high scorer would certainly fit into CNO's system.

CrimsonBloodn62

1st Team
Feb 1, 2002
Tuscumbia, AL

Sherrell
Reid
Cunningham
Mallette
Rylan
Stevenson
Wrightsell
Parker
Nelson
Dioubate
Walters

Pringle probably needs to come back and play another year. I just hope that if he does, it is not with Bama. He is a casualty on offense. UConn knew it and did not fear his offense at all last night.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Pringle probably needs to come back and play another year. I just hope that if he does, it is not with Bama. He is a casualty on offense. UConn knew it and did not fear his offense at all last night.
Pringle can only be effective playing the alley-hoop game and if a team has a big like Clingan he's invisible in our offense. Love his heart and motor but we are playing 4 against 5 when he's in the game.

CrimsonBloodn62

1st Team
Feb 1, 2002
Tuscumbia, AL
Pringle can only be effective playing the alley-hoop game and if a team has a big like Clingan he's invisible in our offense. Love his heart and motor but we are playing 4 against 5 when he's in the game.
I’ve been saying and thinking that all year about Pringle. 4 against 5/8 when he is in the game.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I think we really need a true Center and that way we could have Pringle and Nelson at the 4 and 3 spots starting. If Pringle comes back.
A 7'2" guy like Clingan doesn't grow on trees, but he'd be the perfect fit. He's an athlete. He can move/jump and they were talking about how he has shooting range last night. In CNO's system he'd be deadly on offense (and a big help on defense, obviously). Think about how they used him as a screen and roll guy last night from the top of the key!?!?

But the problem is every team wants a 7'2" center. But I hope more of these guys realize CNO's system is much more like the NBA's game for big men than Eddy's game with Purdue.

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
Just a reminder that Oats said the same thing being said here about Pringle being an offensive liability, about Dioubate. He said they have to slide Nelson to the 5 with Dioubate in the game because he struggles shooting and they need to have 4 shooters on the floor at any given time.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Just a reminder that Oats said the same thing being said here about Pringle being an offensive liability, about Dioubate. He said they have to slide Nelson to the 5 with Dioubate in the game because he struggles shooting and they need to have 4 shooters on the floor at any given time.
Apples to Oranges per what he said VS. roster management for next year, IMO.

He was simply speaking to the roster situation this year. Guarantee he'd rather have 5 shooters on the floor than 4. That's the goal and if we ever have a roster where it works that way...watch out!

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
But Mo can go in for 3-7 minutes per game and adds heart/scrappiness. He may evolve like Herb. Pringle can’t be that guy.

Reactions: AlistarWills

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
But Mo can go in for 3-7 minutes per game and adds heart/scrappiness. He may evolve like Herb. Pringle can’t be that guy.
Just wish little Mo was more than size of Big Mo. Man, if he had more size I could see him becoming a monster. Still may. But he's got to add to his game by next season to be a threat outside of the paint.

Reactions: day-day

Scobaman

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 25, 2010

Sherrell
Reid
Cunningham
Mallette
Rylan
Stevenson
Wrightsell
Parker
Nelson
Dioubate
Walters

How many of these guys have the potential to add 10 to 15 pounds of muscle and be much tougher around the rim next season? Stevenson could develop into an all-time favorite for us. He showed a lot of potential as the season rolled along. And perhaps Dioubate could develop into a mule King clone.

Reactions: CraigD

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
How many of these guys have the potential to add 10 to 15 pounds of muscle and be much tougher around the rim next season? Stevenson could develop into an all-time favorite for us. He showed a lot of potential as the season rolled along. And perhaps Dioubate could develop into a mule King clone.
Reid and Sherrell are already "bulkier" than Stevenson and Walters and about the same as little Mo right now.

If Nelson comes back I think he could add 10-20 pounds but his frame might not could take much more without affecting his abilities. Stevenson and Walters both could easily carry 20+ extra pounds IMO.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.

Latest threads