Space - the final frontier (Misc.) II

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Per NASA, Starliner is cleared safety wise to return but the delay is for fact finding on the cause of this. The part of the craft that experienced these failures gets jettisoned on re-entry so wont be available for studying.
Yeah, I posted the update from NASA's head engineer on the Boeing thread in the other NS thread. Lots of media over-reaction.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
On FB MP......what a deal!!! (y)

Boeing starliner capsule
$500
Listed 6 days ago
6 days ago
in Cocoa, FL

Details
  • Condition
    Used - like new
Selling my 2024 starliner capsule. Only used once! Has a couple helium leaks probably just needs some caulk an paint to make her what she aint. Should be good other than that just dont have time to mess with it. $500 obo

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
When I said what I admire about astronomy was that astronomers can observe things "out there," but not interact with them the way a chemist can interact with chemicals or a biologist can interact with living things, this is an example of what I meant.
How did Huygens figure out the Earth was 93 million miles from the sun?
Astronomers just have to think creatively.
I admire that.

Last edited:

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
From 1440:
SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket suffers malfunction for first time since 2016.

The rocket's upper stage encountered an issue that forced it to disintegrate while deploying 20 Starlink satellites in lower-than-intended orbit. The Falcon 9 (see overview) has had over 300 successful launches since its first failure in 2016, when it exploded on the launchpad. The Falcon 9 remains grounded until the Federal Aviation Administration approves SpaceX's investigation into the incident.

• Thank You
Reactions: Bazza

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
:oops:

For a long time, it seemed almost certain that the astronauts would return to Earth inside Starliner. However, there has been a lot of recent activity at NASA, Boeing, and SpaceX that suggests that Wilmore and Williams could come home aboard a Crew Dragon spacecraft rather than Starliner. Due to the critical importance of this mission, Ars is sharing what we know as of Thursday afternoon.

One informed source said it was greater than a 50-50 chance that the crew would come back on Dragon. Another source said it was significantly more likely than not they would. To be clear, NASA has not made a final decision. This probably will not happen until at least next week. It is likely that Jim Free, NASA's associate administrator, will make the call.

Asked if it was now more likely than not that Starliner's crew would return on Dragon, NASA spokesperson Josh Finch told Ars on Thursday evening, " NASA is evaluating all options for the return of agency astronauts Butch Wilmore and Suni Williams from the International Space Station as safely as possible. No decisions have been made and the agency will continue to provide updates on its planning."

• Thank You
Reactions: Bazza

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.

Latest threads