ACC and PAC 12 Demise seems close (FSU officially stating intentions to fight ACC Grant of Rights… Clemson sues the ACC)

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
I honestly can't imagine it matters to either conference commissioner.

First, they get that FSU is in a bind. They see themselves as a blue blood and they're not only undervalued by the Playoff committee but they're making tens of millions of dollars a year less. So, their move is understandable.

Second, they're either a major value-add or they aren't. Five years ago, I would have said FSU and Clemson are the obvious ACC teams to poach. Now, it sure looks like Virginia and Carolina---not exactly football powerhouses, but prestige state flagships---are the most attractive targets.
The SEC doesn't need more football powerhouses. I agree that UNC and UVA would be preferable.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
First, they get that FSU is in a bind. They see themselves as a blue blood and they're not only undervalued by the Playoff committee but they're making tens of millions of dollars a year less. So, their move is understandable.
None of this randomly happened, they didn't just wake up a few months ago and randomly figure out they've been playing basketball schools all these years and that it's been hurting their SoS.

I've made that very observation here for around a decade, during which time they signed a grant of rights. The current grant or rights was signed in 2016 I believe. This was after Nebraska joined the Big 10, after Texas A&M joined the SEC, after anyone with the tiniest bit of common sense could see that there was a consolidation of football powers going on, and at a point in time in which FSU had already begun stomping their feet.

FSU still signed the deal!

They made their bed, they chose their fate, and now they are trying to back out of it. If their move now is understandable, what on earth was their move in 2016? One of the two was incredibly stupid and indicative of stupidity in general.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I honestly can't imagine it matters to either conference commissioner.

Second, they're either a major value-add or they aren't. Five years ago, I would have said FSU and Clemson are the obvious ACC teams to poach. Now, it sure looks like Virginia and Carolina---not exactly football powerhouses, but prestige state flagships---are the most attractive targets.
I agree they are in a bind, and I agree that in the end, other conferences are going to look at them and evaluate whether or not they will bring in additional revenue. This lawsuit will not give them any pause.

But FSU went into this with eyes wide open. Frankly, they had no other choice. Which really begs the question of whether or not the end game for them is going to be better or worse. Neither the SEC nor the Big Ten wanted them back when they were angling to get out before the GOR deal was signed with the ACC. What has changed to make either conference want them now?

Jun 29, 2023
Where the land meets the sky
To me this a point of "No Return" for FSU. I don't see how you continue in the conference after this. I have to believe that they are hoping for others to join and the conference will be broken beyond repair. I also believe that this signals that they have raised the money to exit already, but they hope to win the suit and not have to pay. I just don't see how you recover from this type of statement.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Florida State is trying to act like LeBron James back when ESPN had that damn show about his free agency and he uttered that inane cliche about "taking my talents" to South Beach or whatever it was, I didn't watch it, but I'm not dead.

Except.....FSU is hosting their show on AM radio and has no suitors. It reminds me of the "Seinfeld" (doesn't everything? That show was incredibly prophetic) where Elaine has to try and sell Kramer at the bachelor auction...

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I also believe that this signals that they have raised the money to exit already, but they hope to win the suit and not have to pay. I just don't see how you recover from this type of statement.
Absolutely not. Their whole legal argument basically boils down to this is too much for us to possibly pay so we shouldn't have to pay anything (we signed a deal so bad it shouldn't have been offered to us).

They are not especially rich. Their endowment is well behind, well just about any college of note. Their athletic department has run into occasional financial issues, one of the main reasons they are raising a sink about this is they are basically saying they can't afford to make less money than the SEC or Big 10 schools, which of course defeats the purpose of paying an incredibly massive exit fee (and unfortunately they don't have SMU boosters to help out).

They are just hoping to win, but this is just horribly played by them in my opinion. Especially since their fans seem to think the Big 10 is their destination.

The problem is Oregon and Washington are not getting full shares from the Big 10! So FSU is doing all of this to go to the Big 10 to basically make what they're making now? The whole thing is nuts, and clearly they're not dealing well with the situation.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
The ACC is dead no matter if FSU succeeds or not. At some point the major powers will ban together and follow through with threats. The ACC’s huge sin was not forcing ND into being a full time member when they had a chance in 2020. It will come back to bite them.

I think FSU’s intent is to more get the GOR contract into the open where they can find holes in it without having to pay lawyers ridiculous money to stay in the ACC hq. Whether they can find holes is another matter. But a bell has been rung and it can’t be unrung

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I don't think either Marco Rubio or Rick Scott have any Auburn ties. Do you mean Tommy Tuberville? He represents Alabama in the Senate, although he moved back to the state from Florida to run for the job.
I was making a joke about Tubby having a home in Florida. I think his Alabama address he used to run is his son’s house in Auburn.

Reactions: DrJJoyner

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I also read where to even look at the contract that you have to go to the ACC headquarters and it doesn’t exist electronically or in some other physical capacity.

This is the most crazy divorce I have ever seen or heard of between conferences and teams.
Did FSU not get a copy when they signed it? That sounds strange. Perhaps an actual lawyer can weigh in here.

cjhadley

1st Team
Jan 1, 2007
Brewton, Alabama, United States
I might have misunderstood what they were saying in their meeting, but were they blaming ESPN and the SEC for the deal the ACC got? If they were that can’t help the chances of joining the SEC in the future. The BIG 10 was reluctant to add Oregon and Washington, so I don’t know how that is going to work for them either. I know that FSU’s brand is valuable but what they seem to overvalued their brand in their own minds in comparison to what the BIG 10 and the SEC values it at.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.