JessN: Assistant coach hiring tracker...

Rollingtide

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 13, 2023
Got this from another board(non pay) on Kaplovic per Tim Watts.
He's going to make the (OL) room tougher immediately. That doesn't take long to notice. Out of the gate, he's going to have them right mentally and with his approach, they will be pushed daily. Very serious old school coach who two described as a "stud" and "alpha" in his room.

Again, "old school" is mentioned multiple times as referring to his work ethic and what he expects. As a teacher, he's "cerebral" who focuses on vertical blocking. Man on man. Very technical but the players get it right away. He simplifies it. He's coached over 30 years and has respect among the other coaches. He's also a nice guy who fits in easily. Very confident in who he is.

We are told before when he decided to take the UA job, he told the Baylor coaching staff members he was leaving despite being there a short time. This earned a lot of respect.

As a recruiter, they described him as "active." Which is always a compliment. Evaluates on the road, on the phone a lot. Doesn't mind working and building relationships. His best evals are the OL, which is common, but he had good opinions on other positions when he saw them.

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
This is already proving to be a disaster...even before the first practice. Brian Harsin 2.0.

We already knew CKD can't recruit. Now we're learning that he can't hire a competent staff...or KEEP his staff after he hires them.

His offense won't work in the SEC. His defense won't work in the SEC. We are definitely now a 2nd tier team.

It's obvious CKD doesn't know what he's doing. Otherwise, he wouldn't have lost 12 games in 9 years as a college HC
. 😩

Spring practice can't get here soon enough. RTR!

Last edited:

oskie

All-SEC
Jan 28, 2005
(I'm still new here, but I just learned how to use the Ignore button on a suddenly frequent “nattering nabob of negativism." I can see how that can be a useful feature on the board.)
Is there an award for the best use of alliteration?

Yes, it's called the ...

... Amazing And Awesome Alliteration Award :cool:

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Some facts and scuttlebutt related to Kapilovic. These blurbs are from two different posts from another board. I can't vouch for anything except that this poster has been even-handed in the past. He's had no qualms about criticizing the program.

Post 1:

Looks like his numbers were much better with spread offenses like Fedora's (
My comment: Fedora was HC at So Miss and NC.)

Rush YPA/Sacks Allowed National Ranks

2009 Southern Miss - #33/#26
2010 Southern Miss - #32/#25
2011 Southern Miss - #15/#21
2012 North Carolina - #23/#11
2013 North Carolina - #85/#43
2014 North Carolina - #89/#72
2015 North Carolina - #3/#14
2016 North Carolina - #53/#30
2017 North Carolina - #81/#97
2018 North Carolina - #19/#7
2019 Colorado - #80/#41
2020 Michigan State - #124/#61
2021 Michigan State - #41/#27
2022 Michigan State - #89/#34
2023 Michigan State - #126/#71

Post 2:
Kapilovic played a major role in leading Michigan State to an 11-2 (7-2 Big Ten) record in 2021, which saw the Spartans finish in the top 10 in the national polls. His offensive line paved the way for Doak Walker Award winner and Walter Camp Player of the Year, Kenneth Walker III, in a record-setting 2021 season that saw him rush for 1,636 yards and 18 scores.

Pronounced kuh-pill-oh-vick, Kapilovic spent the 2019 season at Colorado as the offensive line coach and run-game coordinator. This came following a seven-year run at North Carolina, which saw him start out as the run-game coordinator and offensive line coach before a promotion to co-offensive coordinator in 2014. UNC went 11-3 (8-0 ACC) in 2015.

In 2016, Kapilovic was promoted to assistant head coach and offensive coordinator while still working with the offensive line. His offense twice set North Carolina school records for points per game and total offense, while his 2018 line only allowed 10 sacks on the season.

Kapilovic also coached the offensive lines at Alabama State (2001-02), Missouri State (2006-07) and Southern Miss (2008-11) while serving as the run-game coordinator at both Missouri State and Southern Miss. He graduated from Missouri State with a degree in education in 1990 and became a student assistant coach the following season in 1991.

My comment. The circumstances surrounding the program in 2023 reduce my consideration of that year's performance. Also, the same with how COVID affected the Big 10 in 2020.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
I prefer the negative? I can’t tell if you’re trolling or serious. I’d love to see positive stats. I want all hires to be good. I believe in coach KD. Show me to good overwhelming stats, all I’ll be excited. Your ability to assess and interpret what I am saying is shockingly bad. Show me my chicken little quotes. Being down on a hire isn’t “sky is falling” material. I assume you’re just bad at processing other peoples points or just a good old fashion troll at this point.
Why are you attacking our Forum members. No need. If you don't like things posted by members, don't argue with everyone.
Obviously everyone but you must be wrong.

Reactions: Padreruf

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
UPDATE...

Added Christian Robinson to the staff list. I want to comment on the Inge thing because if you've been reading the Tracker post this whole time you saw his name come and go from italics to boldface type and back, which we don't like to do.

Inge was originally expected to be on the staff (because we were first told to expect the entire UW staff with the exception of the DL coach). Within just a day or two of DeBoer being hired, it was clear that wasn't going to be the case, on either side of the ball. Inge first appeared he was going to stay at UW and be retained by the Fisch staff. Then, a member of the working press who covers Alabama posted on X that Inge would be coming here -- this despite Inge reportedly being at Fisch's introductory press conference.

Once it became evident that Fisch wasn't going to retain him, we went ahead and added him to the UA staff based off that earlier media report. We're now not sure Inge ever joined the staff. It was sort of questionable based on the fact that he was going to be demoted if he did. Wommack and Linguist were being slotted above him. It starts to feel to me like DeBoer liked the guy enough to make sure he was taken care of, but he was going to go a different way in regard to the actual coordination of the defense. Then Tennessee stepped up and hired him.

I will echo what was said about Robinson earlier: This feels like an upgrade.

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
I prefer the negative? I can’t tell if you’re trolling or serious. I’d love to see positive stats. I want all hires to be good. I believe in coach KD. Show me to good overwhelming stats, all I’ll be excited. Your ability to assess and interpret what I am saying is shockingly bad. Show me my chicken little quotes. Being down on a hire isn’t “sky is falling” material. I assume you’re just bad at processing other peoples points or just a good old fashion troll at this point.
You should go back and read through this thread. There's a lot of positive info and stats on this coach. You must have missed it all.

Reactions: Ole Man Dan

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
If you're basing your opinions solely -- or even mostly -- off "stats" then your evaluations are very, very incomplete, and that's being kind.

Since you won't listen to others here, or me, I'd say your best course of action is to familiarize yourself with Dave Bartoo of Matrix Analytical Solutions and pay attention to what he has said about the UA staff (spoiler alert: he loves it).

Also, nobody is trolling you. It's more likely the opposite is true, but I think the real problem here is you just laid out your criteria for judging assistant coaches and it's a pretty shortsighted approach.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
Jess, thanks for keeping the OP up to date. That is work!

(I'm still new here, but I just learned how to use the Ignore button on a suddenly frequent “nattering nabob of negativism." I can see how that can be a useful feature on the board.)
Aside from resigning in disgrace, that comment is probably the most notable thing about Spiro Agnew.

oppland

Jan 16, 2012
Kaplovic did a really good job at North Carolina. He recruited/developed a core group that started together for years. Several are in the NFL now.
Since he left (5 years ago I think), only one high school OL has played significant snaps. Kap was replaced by Stacey Searles.

Reactions: Tidelines

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
I'm usually a little slow to get on bandwagons. Right now I'm seeing all sorts of negatively surrounding who we have on the roster and who the assistant coaches are. I distinctly remember hearing even worse about LSU when Kelly took over. I recall thinking, "I'm not sure if LSU is going to be as bad as they say". Sure, their roster was pretty depleted when he got there. But a starting spot at LSU is a strong draw and the roster quickly filled up from the portal and by fall he was laughing like a drunk school girl after whipping Alabama on his way to a trip to Atlanta.

I believe apposing fans are going to have their fun but once fall begins the reality will return that under the worst conditions, Alabama is not going to be am easy victory. And this is NOT EVEN CLOSE to being the worst of circumstances.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I'm usually a little slow to get on bandwagons. Right now I'm seeing all sorts of negatively surrounding who we have on the roster and who the assistant coaches are. I distinctly remember hearing even worse about LSU when Kelly took over. I recall thinking, "I'm not sure if LSU is going to be as bad as they say". Sure, their roster was pretty depleted when he got there. But a starting spot at LSU is a strong draw and the roster quickly filled up from the portal and by fall he was laughing like a drunk school girl after whipping Alabama on his way to a trip to Atlanta.

I believe apposing fans are going to have their fun but once fall begins the reality will return that under the worst conditions, Alabama is not going to be am easy victory. And this is NOT EVEN CLOSE to being the worst of circumstances.
The real question when Kelly took over at LSU wasn’t talent as much as it was “depth” of talent. They were as solid as most any in the conference. The real issue for LSU was, beyond the two deep, what had Ogre left him? To Kelly’s credit he found a few key pieces to complement what he had that first season. And God knows I hate giving Kelly credit for anything

The Bama transition from CNS to CKD is somewhat similar but with one big exception in my opinion: depth of talent. Yeah we took a hit on transfers, but it seems we’ve done a pretty good job ourselves in filling holes via the portal and landing some difference makers in the 2024 recruiting class.

I think CKD has done a good job assembling a staff that, in many ways, is better than any we’ve had in recent years. I’m excited to see what 2024 brings.

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al

Yea if they have negative things to say about the roster they aren't listening to. Even with the post Saban departures its as strong a roster that exists in the country.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
Some facts and scuttlebutt related to Kapilovic. These blurbs are from two different posts from another board. I can't vouch for anything except that this poster has been even-handed in the past. He's had no qualms about criticizing the program.

Post 1:

Looks like his numbers were much better with spread offenses like Fedora's (
My comment: Fedora was HC at So Miss and NC.)

Rush YPA/Sacks Allowed National Ranks

2009 Southern Miss - #33/#26
2010 Southern Miss - #32/#25
2011 Southern Miss - #15/#21
2012 North Carolina - #23/#11
2013 North Carolina - #85/#43
2014 North Carolina - #89/#72
2015 North Carolina - #3/#14
2016 North Carolina - #53/#30
2017 North Carolina - #81/#97
2018 North Carolina - #19/#7
2019 Colorado - #80/#41
2020 Michigan State - #124/#61
2021 Michigan State - #41/#27
2022 Michigan State - #89/#34
2023 Michigan State - #126/#71

Post 2:
Kapilovic played a major role in leading Michigan State to an 11-2 (7-2 Big Ten) record in 2021, which saw the Spartans finish in the top 10 in the national polls. His offensive line paved the way for Doak Walker Award winner and Walter Camp Player of the Year, Kenneth Walker III, in a record-setting 2021 season that saw him rush for 1,636 yards and 18 scores.

Pronounced kuh-pill-oh-vick, Kapilovic spent the 2019 season at Colorado as the offensive line coach and run-game coordinator. This came following a seven-year run at North Carolina, which saw him start out as the run-game coordinator and offensive line coach before a promotion to co-offensive coordinator in 2014. UNC went 11-3 (8-0 ACC) in 2015.

In 2016, Kapilovic was promoted to assistant head coach and offensive coordinator while still working with the offensive line. His offense twice set North Carolina school records for points per game and total offense, while his 2018 line only allowed 10 sacks on the season.

Kapilovic also coached the offensive lines at Alabama State (2001-02), Missouri State (2006-07) and Southern Miss (2008-11) while serving as the run-game coordinator at both Missouri State and Southern Miss. He graduated from Missouri State with a degree in education in 1990 and became a student assistant coach the following season in 1991.

My comment. The circumstances surrounding the program in 2023 reduce my consideration of that year's performance. Also, the same with how COVID affected the Big 10 in 2020.
Considering we were ranked #46 in rushing YPG and #122 in sacks allowed last year, it would seem that Kapilovic’s OLs are historically much better than that - especially in sacks allowed. The reality of DeBoer’s offense is that rushing YPG is going to be lower than we’ve historically been used to. That said, in 2019 we were ranked #57 in 2019, #48 in 2020, and #71 in 2021 in rushing YPG, but still have very good teams. All 3 of those years could have been National title years if not for some terrible luck with injuries. Cutting down on sack numbers should improve simply because of the style of offense, but if we just could have reduced the sheer number of 3rd down sacks this last year, CNS would have most likely been hoisting another trophy at the end of the year.

Interestingly enough, Huff’s numbers at Washington were #104 rushing YPG and #5 in sacks allowed. This is a case of stats being misleading because Washington had the leading rusher in the Pac12. He averaged 5.1 YPC and 16 TDs. Penix only 8 yards on the whole season, so the overall team rushing numbers were down, you can’t say they didn’t run the ball well.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.