JessN: Assistant coach hiring tracker...

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
Pope, Little, Amos, Ricks and Kite were all going to be in the mix somewhere.
There is no doubt these guys who we had been developing hurts us. I don't understand the reasoning aside from that they were ONLY there to play for Saban and didn't care much for Alabama. So we have talent but we are replacing guys we've been developing for a kid right out of high school. That's going to have a cost, period, no way of getting around it.

We have to hope that Womacks system is perhaps simpler or that he's better at getting new players up to speed on whatever he runs and we have to hope that these young kids improve dramatically as the season plays out.

With the 5+7 playoff we have to focus on A: getting there, and B: getting better every week. As fans we need to hold back on our usual September panic attack and fire the coach tantrums. This is going to be a bumpy ride but many of the issues we are dealing with everyone is dealing with. it's just more pronounced with us after a coaching change.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Yep. Watching people try to tackle him was almost comical at times.
I thought I'd never see someone as elusive and slippery as Johnny Manziel again, but Daniels makes Manziel look like a cinder block.
He was good in the open field, but I don't think he was as elusive as Johnny Football.

To be so skinny I never understood why Daniel's exposed his body so many times. He took some huge hits early in the season long before he got hurt. I'm talking body shots. I guess it's just a sign of the times to expect your QB to make plays with his feet too.

I guess I'm just a little old school and would rather see a QB depend on his distribution skills with his arm.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
He was good in the open field, but I don't think he was as elusive as Johnny Football.

To be so skinny I never understood why Daniel's exposed his body so many times. He took some huge hits early in the season long before he got hurt. I'm talking body shots. I guess it's just a sign of the times to expect your QB to make plays with his feet too.

I guess I'm just a little old school and would rather see a QB depend on his distribution skills with his arm.
He reminded me more of Kyler Murray. But he’s bigger. But he sure looks like him running around.

Reactions: BamaMoon

tidefan39817

All-American
Jan 17, 2006
Bainbridge, Georgia
I don't really care what the numbers were in Kapilovic's previous stops. Most of his time has been spent at dumpster fire programs. I care, however, what DeBoer thinks of him. It's the dead period. We really could have afforded to wait another week or 2. We didn't, so that tells me this wasn't a 'settle' hire. DeBoer didn't come here to lose. If he thinks this is the guy, then that's all I need to know.
I can agree about not caring about his previous stops. Has anybody looked at Coach Sabans record at Michigan State? Wasn't that stellar. If you went by his record with the dolphins alone most people would have laughed at Bama for hiring him. But, when he finally got somewhere that the talent level matched his philosophy and determination, it was pretty much scorched earth.

oppland

Jan 16, 2012
Trust me, North Carolina fans would take him back in a heartbeat. He was much better than Searles. Fedora's last year was bad, but there wasn't a QB (before the portal) and there were a crazy ton of injuries. It wasn't Kap's fault.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tidelines and Con

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
no argument from me that we were going to lose guys due to #s, and some who were leaving to go where they see a real passing offense as a better opportunity, which is why I locked in on DBs and how many of those guys were likely to be in the mix for a major role. From your list of Pope, Amos and Downs, add Little, Ricks and Kite. I get Pope leaving since he was behind Downs at the time - just like Blackshire leaving as he's behind an entrenched starter but of Amos, Downs, Ricks, Kite and Little; Amos and Downs are certain starters, and probably 2 of the three from Ricks, Kite and Little are starters... I mean if we are having to manage the numbers, I think we'd choose to manage them from a position of greater depth than this one...
Pope left because Saban left, basically. He was DB7 for us for most of the year but he really had a hard time picking us or UGA out of high school and once Saban left, that was probably the reason he came here in the first place, to learn from him. I think if Pope had stayed he would have been no worse than the dime safety for '24 and could have started.

Little, I'm not really sure about (meaning in regard to his abilities). He never really stood out to me. Others thought he had a fairly unlimited ceiling. Either way, by the end of the year, he wasn't getting on the field until Pope, Hubbard and Mitchell were already playing. The thing I could see really pushing him out the door was when Malachi Moore said he would come back for an extra year. Little's future here I think was at Star. I don't think he had the quickness to play CB but we'll see about that as he moves on.

Ricks apparently was not developing the way we hoped. I had someone tell me, flat-out, "no loss there." I think it's too early to say that and he might do better in a different defense. Again, we'll just have to see.

That leaves Amos and Kite, and there's no reason either of those guy should have gone. I'm assuming Amos left for two reasons, $$ and the same reason Pope left (no Saban). Kite makes no sense at all. He stayed consistently ahead of Little and Ricks the whole year at CB. Once Amos left, he practically was guaranteed of starting at CB ahead of Jahlil Hurley. If this is a money/NIL thing, that was going to be an issue whether Saban was here or not, because unless we change our NIL approach going forward, we weren't going to get into bidding wars for our guys.

I'm moderately worried about CB (and OT) heading into this spring. Those are my two positions of concern. Our biggest loss, talent-wise, was Downs, but it's mitigated somewhat by the fact that Downs played a high safety spot, which isn't terribly hard to replace. From a defensive functionality standpoint, the loss of Amos might prove to be worse. There's going to be a lot of pressure on Domani Jackson to prove he just needed a change of scenery. The other CB position will either be Hurley or a true freshman, and I think it ends up with either Jaylen Mbakwe (who is my early pick to be the dime -- it will be either him or Hubbard) or Zabien Brown. The other key is keeping Devonta Smith healthy for the first time since he's been here.

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
UPDATE ...

Added Zach Mathers' name along with David Ballou (who we didn't have on our list because, frankly, we didn't list a bunch of people who were held over in support roles from the previous staff). Also removed David Cooper's name from the list of possible additions.

The only name on our tracker other than the ones that have been officially hired up to this point is Khurtiss Riggs, who we're 50/50 on at best and who would probably be employed in some kind of analyst role if he were to be added.

Other than that, the tracking process is winding down, as the new staff is mostly in place now.

bamaclimber

3rd Team
Nov 28, 2016
I thought Pope left before Saban's announcement? Living here in GA, the rumor is that he wasn't getting the opportunities he was hoping for. A sit-down with Saban before Saban retired didn't help. As you mention, he was at Alabama for Saban, and would have probably been a GA lock otherwise. So when it wasn't working out the way he expected, going to GA was an easy decision.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Little, I'm not really sure about (meaning in regard to his abilities). He never really stood out to me. Others thought he had a fairly unlimited ceiling. Either way, by the end of the year, he wasn't getting on the field until Pope, Hubbard and Mitchell were already playing. The thing I could see really pushing him out the door was when Malachi Moore said he would come back for an extra year. Little's future here I think was at Star. I don't think he had the quickness to play CB but we'll see about that as he moves on.
I believe Little left when Malachi announced he was coming back and this was going to be Little's spot but that is TIFWIW.

Rocky Mtn Bob

Scout Team
Jan 2, 2024
7,400 ft in the Rockies
Co-OC/QB: Nick Sheridan
RB: Robert Gillespie
Co-OC/WR: JaMarcus Shephard
TE: Bryan Ellis
OL: Chris Kapilovic
--
DL: Freddie Roach
Co-DC/LB1: Kane Wommack
LB2: Christian Robinson
Co-DC/DB1: Maurice Linguist
DB2: Colin Hitschler

OFF-FIELD STAFF (names in bold are confirmed, names in Italics are coaches we've heard are under firm consideration):
GM: Courtney Morgan
ST/Other: Jay Nunez
RC/RA: Jatavis Sanders, Kevin Green, Jerret McElwain, Robbie Proano, Tony Jones
PD/PP: Matt Shadeed, Eron Hodges, Ali VandenBerghe, David Ballou, Zach Mathers
QC: Kurtiss Riggs, Tyson Prince
General staff: Josh Chapman, Denzel Devall, Jamey Mosley, Ha'Sean Clinton-Dix, George Banko

Current as of 10:43 p.m., Feb. 21. We will continue to update as necessary.
Every time I revisit this thread I wish it were August already!!!
:cool::p:cool:

Reactions: rolltide7854

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.