Spring Practice Thread/News/Predictions

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Yes, it would be better to have a few more experienced OL guys. But we don't. Was his comment before or after Proctor's decision?
It was on 3/21 so after. Here is the article.

some_al_fan

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 14, 2024
Lost:
- 1 OT (draft)
- 1 OL (eligibility)
- 2 OL (portal)

Signed:
- 3 commits
- 1 OT from portal
- 1 IOL (from Wash)

Excluding Proctor.
So, numbers should be fine. DeBoer’s comment was probably not taking Proctor into account.

Reactions: NoNC4Tubs

BearFoot

All-SEC
Mar 12, 2017
Fairhope, Alabama
Lost:
- 1 OT (draft)
- 1 OL (eligibility)
- 2 OL (portal)

Signed:
- 3 commits
- 1 OT from portal
- 1 IOL (from Wash)

Excluding Proctor.
So, numbers should be fine. DeBoer’s comment was probably not taking Proctor into account.
Yes…and no…
No team should ever be in a situation where they “need” a freshman offensive lineman to step in and contribute during his first year. This position, more than any other (besides QB) requires at least a year in the system to be mentally prepared for the job requirements.

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al
Lost:
- 1 OT (draft)
- 1 OL (eligibility)
- 2 OL (portal)

Signed:
- 3 commits
- 1 OT from portal
- 1 IOL (from Wash)

Excluding Proctor.
Numbers will be roughly the same this year, but those numbers were a little thin even then.

Big difference is mcvay formby ailenen and Montgomery may get meaning lful snaps at some point

Will still Likley try to grab another guy out of the portal but will be looking for a depth guy not necessarily am instant starter

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Lost:
- 1 OT (draft)
- 1 OL (eligibility)
- 2 OL (portal)

Signed:
- 3 commits
- 1 OT from portal
- 1 IOL (from Wash)

Excluding Proctor.
Well, that assumes we had enough depth last season, which we really didn't. We were razor thin last year also.

Latham, Dalcourt, Ferguson, Seth and Proctor left. Added 5 so far so we're at the same number of guys as last year.

that gives us 12 scholarship OL, including 3 TF. thank goodness they enrolled early or we wouldn't have enough guys for two lines to play on a-day.

That's just really thin. Even if/when Proctor comes back, we still likely need to improve the depth there.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Well, that assumes we had enough depth last season, which we really didn't. We were razor thin last year also.

Latham, Dalcourt, Ferguson, Seth and Proctor left. Added 5 so far so we're at the same number of guys as last year.

that gives us 12 scholarship OL, including 3 TF. thank goodness they enrolled early or we wouldn't have enough guys for two lines to play on a-day.

That's just really thin. Even if/when Proctor comes back, we still likely need to improve the depth there.
You are right, but I feel much better with Proctor coming back.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
Many are suggesting online that when the post spring portal opens to expect mass chaos again. They were not referencing us individually. I think the fear is that anyone who didn't end up with the 1's during spring will hit the road. In one regard I understand, especially if you've only got a year left and it looks like it's not going to happen for you. I think the cumulative effect is a bit like job hopping. It looks good on paper but if it's over utilized you end up unemployable. I haven't done studies but just from observation it seems the more times a player hops, the less likely they are to ever succeed. It masks the most obvious problem, WHY are they not with the 1's. HOW do they need to improve to be with the 1's. You would think parents would give sound advice but being a parent myself it's hard to see faults in your own kid. they are the apple of your eye. They are the best at everything in your eye. If it's not happening for them it's got to be someone else's fault. I get it. It's ok to love your kid but sometimes you have to be the grown up in the room. I'm sure it was brutal teaching your kid to sword fight in ancient times but if you didn't do this, could he protect his family? could he survive? Parenting isn't just being a cheer leader all the time. Unfortunately we as a species get dumber with every year that has passed since they unleashed the beast on us (a.k.a the Internet).

Bottom line is we can find 5 great guys on the OL but if we have no backups at some point the entire team is going to lose because one guy wasn't ready to carry the load and the guy who was supposed to be there was toiling away as a starter in a meaningless game for Po-Dunk U on a glorified high school field with 12 people in the stands.

Reactions: dtgreg and Con

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Many are suggesting online that when the post spring portal opens to expect mass chaos again. They were not referencing us individually. I think the fear is that anyone who didn't end up with the 1's during spring will hit the road. In one regard I understand, especially if you've only got a year left and it looks like it's not going to happen for you. I think the cumulative effect is a bit like job hopping. It looks good on paper but if it's over utilized you end up unemployable. I haven't done studies but just from observation it seems the more times a player hops, the less likely they are to ever succeed. It masks the most obvious problem, WHY are they not with the 1's. HOW do they need to improve to be with the 1's. You would think parents would give sound advice but being a parent myself it's hard to see faults in your own kid. they are the apple of your eye. They are the best at everything in your eye. If it's not happening for them it's got to be someone else's fault. I get it. It's ok to love your kid but sometimes you have to be the grown up in the room. I'm sure it was brutal teaching your kid to sword fight in ancient times but if you didn't do this, could he protect his family? could he survive? Parenting isn't just being a cheer leader all the time. Unfortunately we as a species get dumber with every year that has passed since they unleashed the beast on us (a.k.a the Internet).

Bottom line is we can find 5 great guys on the OL but if we have no backups at some point the entire team is going to lose because one guy wasn't ready to carry the load and the guy who was supposed to be there was toiling away as a starter in a meaningless game for Po-Dunk U on a glorified high school field with 12 people in the stands.
I think that this is it in a nutshell. How do you develop anything approaching quality depth? The answer is, " You don`t ". Sometimes, particularly on the O line, it takes time to develop. Kid doesn`t start by his second year ( sometimes, first year ) ? Adios.

Reactions: Tidelines

some_al_fan

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 14, 2024

What if you are Pritchett (as an example), who is probably a 5-7 round talent, and there is Proctor, who is potentially a top 10 pick in 2026, ahead of you. What are you supposed to do?
Sure, you can work hard, but your path to that 6-7 round might actually be better if you’d transfer and become a starter for some non-top-25 school.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.