Spring Practice Thread/News/Predictions

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
What if you are Pritchett (as an example), who is probably a 5-7 round talent, and there is Proctor, who is potentially a top 10 pick in 2026, ahead of you. What are you supposed to do?
Sure, you can work hard, but your path to that 6-7 round might actually be better if you’d transfer and become a starter for some non-top-25 school.
I just don't see that happening. We're too thin. Except for the freshmen, most are either starters or in the rotation getting decent play time.

Reactions: twofbyc and B1GTide

glasscutter256

All-American
Jan 31, 2009
Huntsville
i fear there will be 15-20% of players transferring out. Many stayed initially as a promise to Saban to stay and give the new coaches a chance to prove themselves. Even though i think the new coaching staff has done a tremendous job, many players will not find a place in this new system. My guess is that we will lose 10-15 players and have to sign 10-15 new ones.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
i fear there will be 15-20% of players transferring out. Many stayed initially as a promise to Saban to stay and give the new coaches a chance to prove themselves. Even though i think the new coaching staff has done a tremendous job, many players will not find a place in this new system. My guess is that we will lose 10-15 players and have to sign 10-15 new ones.
I don't see it but ok.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
What if you are Pritchett (as an example), who is probably a 5-7 round talent, and there is Proctor, who is potentially a top 10 pick in 2026, ahead of you. What are you supposed to do?
Sure, you can work hard, but your path to that 6-7 round might actually be better if you’d transfer and become a starter for some non-top-25 school.
He may well be you RT starter next year.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I kinda doubt that will happen but we are now in the wild, wild west of portal/NIL football so who knows.

But even if it did, CKD is proving he can attract players. I'm not sure how recruiting will shake out in the next couple of years, but I'm be pretty shocked if we are still top 2 or 3 in the SEC and not far from that nationally.

some_al_fan

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 14, 2024
Kiffin had a long interview, complaining about portal. And he is right.

---
“Maybe it just happened with a high-profile player,” Kiffin said, per the Clarion Ledger. “I’m going to go somewhere in January. I’m going to get their money. I’m going to have never played a down as a transfer, and I’m going to go back in right after spring ball into the portal and go somewhere else and get their money. So I mean, you can say yeah, good for the players, but is it?”
---

Reactions: CrimsonRuss

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Kiffin had a long interview, complaining about portal. And he is right.

---
“Maybe it just happened with a high-profile player,” Kiffin said, per the Clarion Ledger. “I’m going to go somewhere in January. I’m going to get their money. I’m going to have never played a down as a transfer, and I’m going to go back in right after spring ball into the portal and go somewhere else and get their money. So I mean, you can say yeah, good for the players, but is it?”
---

As usual, CLK is right. He is forward thinking and looking. Like Lane, I don't like the Portal and I don't like the NIL money, but both are the present reality.
CLK will take advantage of the Portal and NIL.

• Haha
Reactions: teamplayer

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
I just don't see that happening. We're too thin. Except for the freshmen, most are either starters or in the rotation getting decent play time.
At a lot of positions, there's a rotation in play, but that is simply NOT true on the OL, kinda like QB.

In just about all cases, the starting OL are going to take all the reps in games that matter. Latham took all the reps that mattered, so did Seth and Tyler Booker. Even when Dalcourt was struggling mightily, he was taking all the in game reps till he lost the job and wasn't. Only at the LT spot that wasn't settled did we have any degree of rotation, and that stopped about mid-season.

The year before, the only rotation there was Booker pushing Cohen and getting reps, but that year was an outlier as that's almost never done.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
He may well be you RT starter next year.
I wouldn't mind (Pritchett) him getting a really good look at LT next season, even if proctor comes back. Proctor was a road grader and did a lot well, but the pass rush was tough at times for him. Pritchett seemed a bit better in pass-pro, but was not as good in run blocking. With hopefully a more pass oriented approach as well as a more finesse oriented run blocking scheme, our LT needs to be legit in pass-pro and pretty agile in the run game (as opposed to a pure road grader) so maybe a year at RT would help Proctor continue to develop there without the pressure of going against the best pass rusher the other team has.

Bama9001

1st Team
Sep 26, 2017
From a scholarship numbers standpoint we'll need to trim a few. Aren't we 4-5 over the limit right now?

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
Idk about percentages, but its probably going to happen to most programs moving forward. I could see huge turnovers occurring.

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and predict that Mack and Lonergan will have the best showings in the A-Day game. I have no reason other than I think they are best suited to run CKD's offense.

Reactions: TD7 and NoNC4Tubs

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.