Trevor Etienne Arrested DUI

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
I'm with Cajun. No program is safe with 85 18 - 22 year old young men with more money than anybody they know, a car with a racing engine, and a bulletproof outlook on life.

It's going to happen to us, it's just a matter of time. The difference at UGA is the deaths and injuries in their history, along with the presence of a fixer. Of course, if you mention it to them, most will probably reply with something about Brandon Miller.
My old boss was a big UVA booster and he was talking to Al Groh's wife when he was the head coach there and she told my boss that the hardest thing about coaching college football is keeping an eye on a hundred 18-22 year olds at one time when they're spread all over a campus and subject to untold numbers of potential bad choices.

Or maybe that was just her excuse for why the Cavs were so terrible under her husband.

stlimprov

1st Team
Nov 9, 2005
Saint Louis, MO
I like to think of it more as allowing my opinion to fully mature into its complex body by taking on sophisticated notes from the wooden cask in which I am allowing it to age.

Reactions: UAllday

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Honestly wish the NCAA or SEC would step in.

reckless driving: 1 year suspension

DUI: 2 year suspension

you get the idea
A suspension usually means they are not around the football program. So you want a guy that is already high risk, and take away some of the structure in his life? No, I disagree. I’m not spiritual or religious but Idle hands are the devils workshop. Or however the saying goes. No, leave him on the team, just don’t let him play for at least 6 games. We can make fun of football coaches for seemingly being soft on players, and I agree Kirby needs to do more to change the culture in Athens. But Turning your back on the kid is not the right move. There is something in Athens that lends itself to this behavior. The WR that transferred from Miss St last year or the year before. He got a DUI within a few weeks of being in Athens, now Etienne.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I have no idea why there isn't more help provided to the football coaches by the administrations to help monitor and deal with the players once they leave practice and games. The amount of revenue the football programs generate for the school you would think they would do their best to protect it.

Reactions: The Ols and bamaga

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
To be fair, we don't know the circumstances of the arrest. I’m reserving judgement.
When it comes to a DUI, unless there's some defense about the test being inaccurate or something like that, the only issue is how serious a violation it was. And in my opinion even in its most basic form, a DUI is a very serious, stupid, and reckless offense to commit. At its worst, it's only slightly less horrible than murder.

I never liked defending people charged with the offense, because it's such an easily avoidable problem but one that carries potentially deadly, life-altering outcomes for the offender and everyone else on the road.

I have no sympathy for people who choose to drink and drive.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
When it comes to a DUI, unless there's some defense about the test being inaccurate or something like that, the only issue is how serious a violation it was. And in my opinion even in its most basic form, a DUI is a very serious, stupid, and reckless offense to commit. At its worst, it's only slightly less horrible than murder.

I never liked defending people charged with the offense, because it's such an easily avoidable problem but one that carries potentially deadly, life-altering outcomes for the offender and everyone else on the road.

I have no sympathy for people who choose to drink and drive.
In Georgia, you can be charged with DUI after one beer at the officers discretion. . Are you impaired, probably not. 70% of us have probably drank one beer and drove. That is why I will reserve judgement.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
In Georgia, you can be charged with DUI after one beer at the officers discretion. . Are you impaired, probably not. 70% of us have probably drank one beer and drove. That is why I will reserve judgement.
True, by itself you would be correct. But the "Reckless Driving" is what strongly indicates that there was more than one drink involved... :unsure:

The BAC result will be telling.

DawgAlum2054

1st Team
Dec 20, 2018
Technically you can be charged with DUI even if you blow a 0.0 and had 0 alcoholic beverages in Georgia and anywhere for that matter. The officer has discretion at the end of the day and if they believe you are impaired then they can take you in.

from what I have heard so far, Trevor was taken in on officer discretion…. I have no idea if that’s true or not.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Technically you can be charged with DUI even if you blow a 0.0 and had 0 alcoholic beverages in Georgia and anywhere for that matter. The officer has discretion at the end of the day and if they believe you are impaired then they can take you in.

from what I have heard so far, Trevor was taken in on officer discretion…. I have no idea if that’s true or not.
Weren't there four charges...? :unsure:

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010

Still, it sounds like his BAC will more than likely revealed to be above the legal threshold...:cool:

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
So, GA is even more idiotic than I thought.

Where I practice (VA) no one gets charged with a DUI unless they are over the legal limit...and once that happens it's nearly impossible to overcome absent some technicality with the test or there's some special relationship between the defendant/attorney and the state.

I remember years ago attending a continuing legal education seminar and they had some guy talking about all the ways you can beat a DUI charge with all kinds of fancy legal maneuvers...he clearly was unfamiliar with VA law on the subject. Every attorney around me was like "this is totally useless, maybe they should get an attorney who actually knows how this works in VA."

Reactions: CB4 and B1GTide

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
reckless driving led to being pulled over

so

reckless driving
Window tint
DUI
Failure to maintain lane (I think)
What's reckless driving in GA?

In VA, it's the same level offense as a DUI...class 1 misdemeanor with up to a year in jail and $2500 fine. And anything 20 miles over the posted speed limit or anything in excess of 80 mph is presumed to be reckless.

VA doesn't play around with driving offenses...and I have no issue with that at all.

Reactions: The Ols

DawgAlum2054

1st Team
Dec 20, 2018
Still, it sounds like his BAC will more than likely revealed to be above the legal threshold...:cool:
That is If he actually blew or had is blood pulled. I would imagine the player refused, and from the reports I read it stated that it was officers discretion for the DUI, not an objective number on a BAC.

Now, if Trevor refused to blow, then he most likely was drinking.... but it gives a better out with a good lawyer.

DawgAlum2054

1st Team
Dec 20, 2018
What's reckless driving in GA?

In VA, it's the same level offense as a DUI...class 1 misdemeanor with up to a year in jail and $2500 fine. And anything 20 miles over the posted speed limit or anything in excess of 80 mph is presumed to be reckless.

VA doesn't play around with driving offenses...and I have no issue with that at all.
I have no problem with them taking that stance either. You can not even go visit Canada if you have a DUI on your record.

In Georgia reckless driving is different than a "super speeder"

reckless driving is simply defined as operating a vehicle with disregard to safety. It gives officers a very wide range to charge. Spinning tires as an example could be reckless driving. I am not sure, but I think not wearing a seatbelt could go as far as reckless driving

DawgAlum2054

1st Team
Dec 20, 2018
So, GA is even more idiotic than I thought.

Where I practice (VA) no one gets charged with a DUI unless they are over the legal limit...and once that happens it's nearly impossible to overcome absent some technicality with the test or there's some special relationship between the defendant/attorney and the state.

I remember years ago attending a continuing legal education seminar and they had some guy talking about all the ways you can beat a DUI charge with all kinds of fancy legal maneuvers...he clearly was unfamiliar with VA law on the subject. Every attorney around me was like "this is totally useless, maybe they should get an attorney who actually knows how this works in VA."
I would encourage you to look into it a little further. Even in Virginia, the police officer can charge you with a DUI for blowing below 0.08 if they feel you are impaired. It remains the officers discretion. Even if you blow 0.000000 they can technically take you in for DUI. It is unlikely to be upheld in court, but its still gonna cost you money and heart ache.

I am sorry this is off track from the original topic. I just feel the above is important

I personally have zero tolerance for drinking and driving, and am embarrassed any time I see something like this in the news with my football teams name attached to it... which seems to be a lot lately

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
My old boss was a big UVA booster and he was talking to Al Groh's wife when he was the head coach there and she told my boss that the hardest thing about coaching college football is keeping an eye on a hundred 18-22 year olds at one time when they're spread all over a campus and subject to untold numbers of potential bad choices.

Or maybe that was just her excuse for why the Cavs were so terrible under her husband.
She was probably right. I was a wild child in college, I was drunk most of the time I was in college, but I had hair 1/4" long and always waved at the Police. I performed very well when I was drinking. Folks didn't suspect I was under the influence.
I wasn't a star football player that everybody knew, I was like a Gray man, I walked among em, but they never paid attention to me.
IMO there were a lot of guys and gals who started drinking on Friday morning, and partied till Saturday night.
BTW: I quit drinking about a week after I graduated from college.
Party time was over, then it was time to work.

Reactions: Con

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
She was probably right. I was a wild child in college, I was drunk most of the time I was in college, but I had hair 1/4" long and always waved at the Police. I performed very well when I was drinking. Folks didn't suspect I was under the influence.
I wasn't a star football player that everybody knew, I was like a Gray man, I walked among em, but they never paid attention to me.
IMO there were a lot of guys and gals who started drinking on Friday morning, and partied till Saturday night.
BTW: I quit drinking about a week after I graduated from college.
Party time was over, then it was time to work.
I'm curious, Dan. What was your major? :unsure:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.