Link: 2024 5 Star QB Julian Sayin Commits to Alabama

JohnD

1st Team
Dec 22, 2003
Well we have had success with at least 2 true freshman starting at QB in the last couple of years ... just sayin :cool:
The only QB to start as a true freshman for Saban was Jalen Hurts in 2016. Hurts started mostly because he could run, squat 600 pounds, was tough beyond his years, and we saw real quick his competition was not. That season went incredibly well, but we also had a tremendous OL and the top defense in the country. We did not have to start the other QBs because in each case there was a solid veteran carrying the load.
Tua did save us in the championship against Ga in 2017. So an argument could be made that he could have started the whole year with the same outcome. But on the other hand, a strong argument could be made that he would not have finished the season due to injury. Mac didn't play as a TF and Bryce played some but in mop up duty.

It's just not a favorable situation to be in.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Worst case scenario would be to have to play Sayin as a freshman. No disrespect to Sayin, but playing a TF QB is not a recipe for success.
I honestly don't see how it could be worse than the QB struggles we've had in the 1st 4 games. Sayin is kinda the opposite of JM in terms of short/midrange passing skills. Even with the same kind of OL struggles we could scheme a lot more quick/short routes with his vision and accuracy.

Sayin is an incredible talent. His passing will remind us of QBs like a young Tua and Bryce and his ability to scramble is not insignificant.

Depending on Jalen's improvement (or someone like DL's improvement) the QB situation will be an interesting development in the spring and into next fall.

Reactions: B1GTide

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
The only QB to start as a true freshman for Saban was Jalen Hurts in 2016. Hurts started mostly because he could run, squat 600 pounds, was tough beyond his years, and we saw real quick his competition was not. That season went incredibly well, but we also had a tremendous OL and the top defense in the country. We did not have to start the other QBs because in each case there was a solid veteran carrying the load.
Tua did save us in the championship against Ga in 2017. So an argument could be made that he could have started the whole year with the same outcome. But on the other hand, a strong argument could be made that he would not have finished the season due to injury. Mac didn't play as a TF and Bryce played some but in mop up duty.

It's just not a favorable situation to be in.
Tua would have started 90% of the time as a true freshman even at Bama had it not been for Jalen's success as a true freshman.

It would probably be more like 99% at all other schools.

I think what happens next fall with the QB situation will depend 100% on the way this season plays out in terms of wins/losses and how we compete for the west and beyond.

Not saying that JS would start, but that if we struggled this year him being a true freshman won't matter as much compared to his impressive talent and his ceiling.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
So when can/does JS join the team as an early enrollee?

I'm under the impression he'll be able to travel with the team in the post season. If so, that'll be huge for his development in terms of seeing the bright lights and having already been a part of this before his time at the helm comes.

Reactions: NoNC4Tubs

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
So when can/does JS join the team as an early enrollee?

I'm under the impression he'll be able to travel with the team in the post season. If so, that'll be huge for his development in terms of seeing the bright lights and having already been a part of this before his time at the helm comes.
I heard he was joining for bowl practices, so it will just depend on when his exams in HS are over (or if he can schedule them early). I'd guess most schools are done around the 15th.

It's not just the 15 actual practices, it's that the team is on campus, together, with almost nothing else going on. There will be a ton of meetings, learning, etc going on officially, as well as player organized stuff. Could get any of them who come in extra early well ahead and prepped to contribute for next season.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
It's not just the 15 actual practices, it's that the team is on campus, together, with almost nothing else going on. There will be a ton of meetings, learning, etc going on officially, as well as player organized stuff. Could get any of them who come in extra early well ahead and prepped to contribute for next season.
And the overwhelming majority of this class are EE's.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
I hope that the majority of the new and older players will keep their wits about them and give this situation a few days to sort this thing out. A new head coach will most likely be announced within 48 hours or so. Plenty of time to assess that coach and make some sort of an informed decision. Then again, I`m no longer 18-20 years old and look at things through a different prism.

jabcmb

All-American
Feb 1, 2006
Birmingham, AL
I hope that the majority of the new and older players will keep their wits about them and give this situation a few days to sort this thing out. A new head coach will most likely be announced within 48 hours or so. Plenty of time to assess that coach and make some sort of an informed decision. Then again, I`m no longer 18-20 years old and look at things through a different prism.
I'm with you on that, but my prism is busted.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.