DeBoer and recruiting

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
Edit: I guess the Bond situation underscores the entire issue, here's the quote from Bond
" Bond said that new Alabama coach Kalen DeBoer reached out and that he didn't get back to him. Bond said that Sarkisian recruited him hard to Texas out of high school and they regained that connection quickly this weekend. He said Sarkisian, who is Texas' offensive playcaller, is one of the best offensive minds in college football. "

Milroe issues aside, Texas was able and willing to throw money at him, and he had a relationship with Sarkisian but none with DeBoer. This could play out over and over unless some things are done to make DeBoer's "offer" more appealing, at least until he's had a chance to develop those relationships.
So, DeBoer reaches out to Bond and Bond essentially blows him off, doesn't give him a return call, doesn't even hear what the coach has to say, but somehow DeBoer blew it. Sounds to me that there wasn't really anything DeBoer could have said, or offered, that would have swayed Bond to stay at Bama. If this, for you, "underscores the entire issue" then perhaps I need to go back to ignoring your posts.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
So, DeBoer reaches out to Bond and Bond essentially blows him off, doesn't give him a return call, doesn't even hear what the coach has to say, but somehow DeBoer blew it. Sounds to me that there wasn't really anything DeBoer could have said, or offered, that would have swayed Bond to stay at Bama. If this, for you, "underscores the entire issue" then perhaps I need to go back to ignoring your posts.
Thanks for the polite response.

I will explain for people that don't mind reading. It isn't that Bond blew off DeBoer that signals a potential problem for the future. The issue is Bond didn't know DeBoer at all and had no existing relationship, where as he knew Sark and had an existing relationship.

DeBoer will not be treated equally by recruits he has 0 relationship with, and everyone of us behaves like that in the real world too. If I know someone, I'm much more likely to give them my attention than if I don't know someone. That's common sense. We all show favoritism towards people we have existing relationships with.

Bond has other issues and probably would have left anyway, but who on the team and which recruits already have a relationship? Sark has a relationship with a lot of these guys, Kiffin does, Dabo does, Norvell does (landed a few already), that obviously puts DeBoer at a disadvantage and you can ignore the fact but it doesn't change that fact.

This is why I reiterate that the checkbooks need to be open. Only thing that could have kept Bond at Alabama was more NIL money.

Edit: I will add that of course over time DeBoer should be able to develop relationships but before then, well time might need to be bought, heh.

Last edited:
Reactions: B1GTide

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Agreed. Let's see, he left Fresno St after two years to take a Power 5 job in the Pac 12. Two years later he left Washington to go the the greatest football program of all time. Some will call it jumping place to place but I call it climbing the ladder to success which is what America is all about.
I tend to agree with this, and we shall see how it plays out, but right now he has reached the top rung on the ladder.

Windsortide

All-American
Nov 11, 2019
CKD is on a roll and let’s hope he keeps it up. My concern is defensive recruiting. I feel his offense will be attractive to those who want to project high in offensive skill positions.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.