Link: Jalen Milroe Working on His Throwing Mechanics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I knew Ty was also working on his mechanics. I just didn't know if he had an outside Tudor. The On3 report and video are from July 2023. But I know Ty has been working really hard to get better. He really wants to start at some point. If not this year, then next year.
In this NIL world, I think that every player who has real NFL aspirations is seeking outside help. I know that OSU players are doing it in groups and as individuals.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
I have not read where any of the real QB's have been getting any training, but IMO, JM is the one that really needs help.
To BamaMoons point, it's such a normal thing that QBs (and other HS/college athletes across sports really) get individual training in the off-season that it's not really newsworthy. Seriously - a vast, vast majority of them go get position specific work. I've no clue why it seems to be so newsworthy that JM is doing it. It would be way more of an outlier if he wasn't doing it. It's almost like there is a portion of the media trying to back up their own narrative around him - 'See! Look how hard he's working!', etc... I'm not going to spend the time to try to find it, but I read an article before or during the '22 season that mentioned JMs QB coach that he'd been working with for quite a while - multiple years going back into HS I believe. It not really new that he's getting a QB specific coaching, other than it seems he's changed coaches so perhaps that is a good thing.

Last years article about TS was already posted. I saw an article with a lot of videos about Mack getting coaching somewhere out west over spring break as well. I'm sure Lonergan is also.

It's NORMAL for advanced athletes to do this.

Case in point:

My son hasn't turned 14, yet last summer in addition to his club team practices (2x-3x a week) and HS strength workouts (2x a week), he was doing a day a week with a position coach (sometimes two if it was a non-tournament week) and would try to fit in an additional speed/agility day. That continued through the fall offseason (in additional to "optional, captains" practices for HS, and weekly club practices) until they got to winter tournament season and spring varsity. Then he'll go into the backyard a couple times a week to just shoot and get throw/catch practice on his own when he needs a brain break from school.

It's a lot, but not unusual at all. Many are doing that or more. A friend on his club team was doing 3 days a week of individual positional work every week, even if he had club or school practices that day as well.

Just this weekend, our HS QB had a private trainer/coach on the turf with him working on mechanics and had a handful of WRs out there getting route work in to maximize the throws he could get in a short period of time. The QB is a junior now.

Again - it's totally normal for athletes at HS and college now to work with coaches outside their program to improve across the entire year, especially outside the standard practice timeframes that are allowed in HS and college.

Reactions: B1GTide

LittleLexi

Scout Team
Nov 7, 2022
This is good news. Hopefully he is training on the mental aspects of the position as well as the mechanics.
This is all great. I really want the guy to excel. But until I see him sit back in the pocket like the guy from LSU and look off 2-3-4 guys and then make a perfect throw or make a perfect run, this is just all window dressing. Showing up at the facilities at 3am, that is great. Transfer it to reading Defenses. I just don't see it happening. JM has tunnel vision and that is just a fact.

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
I have not read where any of the real QB's have been getting any training, but IMO, JM is the one that really needs help.
They can all use help. Ty has been working on his mechanics. I think it's great they want to get better and be the best they can be. Jalen wants to add value for himself, as well as be a better player. Ty has high hopes of being the starting quarterback at Alabama at some point. These two working hard really helps the team. I'm sure Lonergan and Mack work hard as well.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
I knew Ty was also working on his mechanics. I just didn't know if he had an outside Tudor. The On3 report and video are from July 2023. But I know Ty has been working really hard to get better. He really wants to start at some point. If not this year, then next year.
BamaMoon is right though - it's such a common thing that it's pretty shocking you didn't know that they do this work with trainers. This is not a recent phenomenon. It's been that way for a long time.

Reactions: B1GTide

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
This is all great. I really want the guy to excel. But until I see him sit back in the pocket like the guy from LSU and look off 2-3-4 guys and then make a perfect throw or make a perfect run, this is just all window dressing. Showing up at the facilities at 3am, that is great. Transfer it to reading Defenses. I just don't see it happening. JM has tunnel vision and that is just a fact.
So, it’s either Heisman-trophy level perfection or he ain’t worth a plug nickel?

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
So, it’s either Heisman-trophy level perfection or he ain’t worth a plug nickel?
I don't think that is what LittleLexi is saying at all. Reading defenses, making the right decisions, looking off defenders, making good, on time and schedule throws and operating at the timing required for all the plays (run and pass). Those things are table stakes for a functional QB at any FBS school. Those are the things that we need to see all that work translate into, as all the prior work certainly hasn't yet translated into being able to execute those skills.

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
Milroe can't read defenses....he can't make pre-snap reads....his throws are not on time usually. His decision making isn't what anyone would expect for a high level SEC team. The margins are small when we play teams like Texas or Georgia or Michigan or Ohio State. All those little things Milroe struggles with are a huge liability vs top teams when we play them.

If Milroe knows where the hot receivers are vs Michigan and all the blitzes they called.....we win that game by 3 TD's. They knew he would struggle.

Its not a matter of Jedi/Sith.....absolutes like Heisman level perfection or nothing. The kid needs to do the basic things a top 10 QB in college should be able to do.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
This is a weird discussion because JM struggles with some things a solid 10th grade QB has already learned to do but he excels in the highest way in some things 99% of humans can't do.

It's resulted in a divide that makes any critics of his undeveloped skills haters and those who defend him as blind to his faults. This is what media does...it divides.

I think almost all of us see some of his weaknesses and strengths.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Milroe can't read defenses....he can't make pre-snap reads....his throws are not on time usually. His decision making isn't what anyone would expect for a high level SEC team. The margins are small when we play teams like Texas or Georgia or Michigan or Ohio State. All those little things Milroe struggles with are a huge liability vs top teams when we play them.

If Milroe knows where the hot receivers are vs Michigan and all the blitzes they called.....we win that game by 3 TD's. They knew he would struggle.

Its not a matter of Jedi/Sith.....absolutes like Heisman level perfection or nothing. The kid needs to do the basic things a top 10 QB in college should be able to do.
Agreed with all that, except I don't think just the top 10 QBs do those things. I'd wager 75% should be making the reads and attempting the right passes well over 80% of the time.

Seriously - table stakes QB skills.

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
BamaMoon is right though - it's such a common thing that it's pretty shocking you didn't know that they do this work with trainers. This is not a recent phenomenon. It's been that way for a long time.
And that's how things get twisted on here. I never said that. I was refering to working with Palmer. Yes, quarterbacks get instruction and tudoring. Most is by in-house staff. But occasionally it's outside help. My point was that there is no evidence any other quarterback than Jalen is working with Palmer. He claimed they were, but had no evidence to back it up. His evidence was an article and video from July 2023.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
And that's how things get twisted on here. I never said that. I was refering to working with Palmer. Yes, quarterbacks get instruction and tudoring. Most is by in-house staff. But occasionally it's outside help. My point was that there is no evidence any other quarterback than Jalen is working with Palmer. He claimed they were, but had no evidence to back it up. His evidence was an article and video from July 2023.
I don't think this is correct. Most quarterbacks who have a quarterback coach for private purposes are using people outside of their organization. Private coaching is a huge business in this country in all sports on all levels. I would say most kids are getting private coaches outside of their team's staff.

Reactions: B1GTide and The Ols

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011

I don't think this is correct. Most quarterbacks who have a quarterback coach for private purposes are using people outside of their organization. Private coaching is a huge business in this country in all sports on all levels. I would say most kids are getting private coaches outside of their team's staff.
Buzzard is right - it's almost always outside help. It has to be.

there are very strict limits around what in-house coaches can do. The NCAA limits the number of hours/week for every week in the year, and also the types of work that can be done with in-house coaches. One of the restrictions is on the use of equipment (i.e. a ball) - that can only be done with coaches during the designated Spring practice, summer camp and fall season and only for a specific number of hours per week, so practice with the team accounts for all those hours. There's another bucket of hours allowed for team meetings/film study/playbook work etc. That means coaches in-house could watch film with a player, tell them what they are doing right/wrong, and tell them what to do or how to fix, but could not actually work with them to correct it on the field outside of designated practice hours.

Net, any time outside of normal practice, if a 'coach' or instructor is there, it's a private non-in-house coach. It's been that way for decades and is (or at least should be) very well known and understood fact.

You also mistook what the other poster was saying. He didn't claim other QBs were working with Palmer. He said they were working with private coaches. that's true and he provided backup. There were videos of both Mack and Simpson over spring break working with private coaches as well. I'm sure Lonergan did also but haven't seen anything posted. There are some really, really good coaches here in the ATL area where he's from so it's easy for him to do.

All that said, I think it's good Milroe is working with a different trainer, as whatever he's been doing with the one he's said he's had for multiple years hasn't been getting Milroe where he needs to be

Reactions: B1GTide and bamajas

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
"HE claimed" - that's me. It was literally an article about TS getting extra training thru a QB coach/academy. The point was all these guys do this at this level.

How is that not "evidence" of this happening. I got that thru a google search and it was like the 1st or second hit. Took 10 seconds.

It's been stated in the last couple of pages that even Jr. High school QBs are getting special coaching thru QB camps and academies. SEC level QBs are doing this OR they are not trying.

At this point you are on the verge of trolling OR burying your head in the sand to act like there needs to be documented proof of this normal behavior but then you double down and claim something that is totally not true (what is bolded).

Reactions: gtgilbert and TD7

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
@Ledsteplin if you thought I meant other Bama QBs were working with Palmer you misunderstood my point.

If that's the misunderstanding I'm sorry I left that impression. That's certainly not what I intended.

But, the point is college QBs get a lot of outside coaching help/tutoring/mentoring. It's a thing.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
From another thread on Tidefans about Austin Mack getting training. BTW, Kyle Henderson says the guy he got the video from says Mack is probably closer to 6'8". 😲

• Thank You
Reactions: The Ols

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Pretty impression stuff on Mack. If you watch Henderson interviews a guy now as "Coach Merrill" and he talks about his athleticism/accuracy but also his calm leadership skills, which he says fits CKD's quiet, calm personality.

He says CKD isn't going to be throwing headsets and he wants a QB more like him.

Interesting discussion, especially after CNS's comments about players throwing helmets after the NC game.

CrimsonBloodn62

1st Team
Feb 1, 2002
Tuscumbia, AL
Pretty impression stuff on Mack. If you watch Henderson interviews a guy now as "Coach Merrill" and he talks about his athleticism/accuracy but also his calm leadership skills, which he says fits CKD's quiet, calm personality.

He says CKD isn't going to be throwing headsets and he wants a QB more like him.

Interesting discussion, especially after CNS's comments about players throwing helmets after the NC game.
CKD might break a few headsets after he has to put up with the SEC officials for a few games. Lol

• Haha
Reactions: mlh

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA

I don't think that is what LittleLexi is saying at all. Reading defenses, making the right decisions, looking off defenders, making good, on time and schedule throws and operating at the timing required for all the plays (run and pass). Those things are table stakes for a functional QB at any FBS school. Those are the things that we need to see all that work translate into, as all the prior work certainly hasn't yet translated into being able to execute those skills.
“But until I see him sit back in the pocket like the guy from LSU and look off 2-3-4 guys and then make a perfect throw or make a perfect run, this is just all window dressing.”

This is what I was commenting on.

I should have bolded it in my initial response.

I want the best player to start at every position, and I don't know who that is at QB.

But I haven’t seen this much negativity directed at one player in some time…at least not one who had a very successful season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.