Link: Jalen Milroe Working on His Throwing Mechanics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
But to answer your question, I can't recall that ever happening as long as I've been watching Alabama football.
Jalen Hurts, 2017. We lost the Auburn game because he could not throw the ball. Tua would have torched their defense. We absolutely would have lost the championship game if Hurts played the 2nd half. We won because Saban had the guts to put in a Freshman QB. Would we have won the title if Simpson or Lonergan had played in 2023? Who knows, but it was clear we were not going to win a title with Milroe.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
It's not about "Jalen" as a person; it's about him as a "player."

He plays the most visible position on the field. Other than the center, he touches the ball every play.

Our offense last year (according to another poster) had the worst "net" offensive production of any Bama team in the last 10 years (about the time the "Bama offense" became explosive).

If our offense would have struggled under Tua, Mac or Bryce they would have received just as much criticism for their play.
And yet I still can't recall a situation where one player was responsible every game we lost and every opportunity we lost.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
Jalen Hurts, 2017. We lost the Auburn game because he could not throw the ball. Tua would have torched their defense. We absolutely would have lost the championship game if Hurts played the 2nd half. We won because Saban had the guts to put in a Freshman QB. Would we have won the title if Simpson or Lonergan had played in 2023? Who knows, but it was clear we were not going to win a title with Milroe.
I don't blame Hurts for everything that went wrong in 2017.

Seems like perhaps you're conflating a player's limitations with the player being responsible for losses.

And for all those who say that Milroe isn't a QB, I seem to remember Hurts improving dramatically in the year he sat behind Tua.

And we wouldn't have beaten UGA in the SEC championship without Hurt's legs and arm in that game.

I stand by my comment that I haven't ever seen a single Bama player get beat up on as much as Milroe when we're coming off an SEC championship and playoff appearance.

I don't think Milroe is in the conversation of the best QB's Bama has ever had, but a lot of people talk about him like he's hot garbage.

I think it's all a bit over the top...perhaps it's just me.

Reactions: TiderJack

irvingtontide

3rd Team
Sep 5, 2019

Seems like perhaps you're conflating a player's limitations with the player being responsible for losses.

And for all those who say that Milroe isn't a QB, I seem to remember Hurts improving dramatically in the year he sat behind Tua.

And we wouldn't have beaten UGA in the SEC championship without Hurt's legs and arm in that game.

I stand by my comment that I haven't ever seen a single Bama player get beat up on as much as Milroe when we're coming off an SEC championship and playoff appearance.

I don't think Milroe is in the conversation of the best QB's Bama has ever had, but a lot of people talk about him like he's hot garbage.

I recall Seth got the same treatment and blamed for the losses also from milroe fans and the only reason he isn’t getting it anymore is because he left.
It’s almost comical the double standard that we have. We can talk down Seth, proctor, and I’ve even heard some mention Latham for his blocking on the last play of the Michigan game. Nobody seems to take issue with that. On the flip side if you mention milroe and blame in the same sentence the same ones that put everything on the O-line will appear and tell you that you can’t put any blame on milroe and that we are wrong for criticizing him.

Not saying you blamed the oline or this exact scenario applies to you it’s just a general statement.

Labrador

BamaNation Citizen
Mar 17, 2024
The problem is there's not been one snap taken by anybody yet in the new system and everyone is assuming JM will start OR one of the others will not.

If the Mack kid is not ready that's fine, but I don't see how anybody can be ruled in or out at this point. I just don't get the fascination of reading a quote or two or hearing a tid-bit of info and assuming that means spring and fall camp work won't matter.

That's all I'm saying.

And, again, for the record, if JM improves as an all around QB I'm 100% behind him.
Jalen is our starter. He’s working with a QB Coach on mechanics (obviously changed for the better),
Just watch the game
Jalen has been working with a QB Coach, and it has paid dividends. His entire throwing motion has improved and shortened. Vision has improved by scanning the field. My confidence in Milroe has increased considerably. Although, remember Hurts didn’t hardly look anywhere except where Amari Cooper was.

Reactions: Ledsteplin

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
It was also put on Seth's shoulders to call the defensive front and set the protections because Milroe couldn't do it. There was a lot more he was responsible for than just the snap. A lot was put on this offensive line last season to help with Milroe's shortcomings.
There's a reason Seth had such bad body language in the Michigan game. Something wasn't right and he was frustrated.

Reactions: TD7

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
Jalen is our starter. He’s working with a QB Coach on mechanics (obviously changed for the better),

Jalen has been working with a QB Coach, and it has paid dividends. His entire throwing motion has improved and shortened. Vision has improved by scanning the field. My confidence in Milroe has increased considerably. Although, remember Hurts didn’t hardly look anywhere except where Amari Cooper was.
According to whom? I don’t care what a guy does in practice if it doesn’t translate to the game. Also, Hurts and Cooper never played together. You’re thinking of Ridley.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL

Hurts in the 2017 Iron Bowl: 12-22, 112 yards. Those are pathetic numbers. Tua would have lit them up. If Hurts isn’t responsible, then who is?

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
I recall Seth got the same treatment and blamed for the losses also from milroe fans and the only reason he isn’t getting it anymore is because he left.
It’s almost comical the double standard that we have. We can talk down Seth, proctor, and I’ve even heard some mention Latham for his blocking on the last play of the Michigan game. Nobody seems to take issue with that. On the flip side if you mention milroe and blame in the same sentence the same ones that put everything on the O-line will appear and tell you that you can’t put any blame on milroe and that we are wrong for criticizing him.

Not saying you blamed the oline or this exact scenario applies to you it’s just a general statement.
My opinion is that in football, a win or a loss is almost always a team effort and very rarely is one player or one play responsible for the end result.

There are, to be sure, exceptions, but the vast majority of times wins and losses are on a least entire units and not one player.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
Hurts in the 2017 Iron Bowl: 12-22, 112 yards. Those are pathetic numbers. Tua would have lit them up. If Hurts isn’t responsible, then who is?
The team had a little over 300 yards of total offense, and Hurts accounted for 194 of those in the air and on the ground (He was the leading rusher in that game with 82 yards). Auburn had over 400 yards of offense, including 240 yards in the air. I don't recall Jalen playing defense in that game.

Was Jalen good in that game? No.

Was the rest of the team good in that game? No.

So, once again, you're blaming an entire game on one player who, although didn't play great, wasn't responsible for everything that contributed to the loss.

So, who is responsible for the loss? The entire team.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
The true test is in real games. Once games begin and Seth doesn't have any issues, then you know it was something other than him. But if he starts having snapping issues at OSU then you know he was a big part of the problem.
Where Jalen struggled during camps was during scrimmages. The REC scrimmage, or final non public scrimmage is on the 6th. I think we will see how much he has improved by then or if there truly is a competition.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
The team had a little over 300 yards of total offense, and Hurts accounted for 194 of those in the air and on the ground (He was the leading rusher in that game with 82 yards). Auburn had over 400 yards of offense, including 240 yards in the air. I don't recall Jalen playing defense in that game.

So, once again, you're blaming an entire game on one player who, although didn't play great, wasn't responsible for everything that contributed to the loss.

How many extra snaps did that breakneck barn offense get because of the offense’s inability to be efficient?

Reactions: Superdad

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

What annoys me about the “well if he only had a snapper” crowd is that they are usually the same ones that are quoting every meaningless stat and saying he won us the SECCG. But they also never have a response to when you bring up that Mahomes all year was fielding ground ball snaps as well.

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
Hurts was the majority of the reason that 2016 defense was out of gas at the end of the national title game. He couldn't convert a 3rd down. They'd get us in 3rd and long and we were dead.

We had 16 first downs to their 31. They had the ball almost 10 minutes more. Clemson had over 500 yards and 99 plays. We were 2 of 15 on 3rd down. (Side note...we were 3 of 13 on 3rd down vs Michigan)

If we're even 3 or 4 of 15, we win that game. Clemson played hurts perfectly. He was 13 of 31 for 131 yards.

Once Bo went down, Hurts wasn't capable of throwing the ball enough.

Milroe vs Michigan.....16-23 for 116. How many pass plays were called and got blown up by him either holding the ball too long or just not seeing his dump off receiver when a blitz was coming?

2016 Hurts:
240 - 382 for 2780 yards.....62.8 Comp%....23 TDs and 9 INTs.....he ran 191 times for 954 yards and 13 TDs.....15 games.

2023 Milroe:
187 - 284 for 2834 yards....65.8 Comp%....23 TDs and 6 INTs....he ran 161 times for 531 yards and 12 TDs......13 games.

Hurts last 4 games of the 2016 season.....Auburn / Florida / Washington / Clemson.....4 TDs, 2 Ints. Which is misleading because he was 2 TDs and 2 Ints vs Auburn. We had no passing game whatsoever in the SEC Title game or the playoff. We won because of that incredible D and our rushing game.

Milroe last 4 games of the 2023 season....(includes UTC, so I'm taking them out and including UK)....Kentucky / Auburn / Georgia / Michigan....7 TDs, 1 Int. Milroe vs Kentucky was 3 TDs, 1 Int.....he threw for 2 TDs vs Auburn and 2 vs Georgia.

The difference here is the comparative rushing attacks. Hurts was never asked to do too much because we could run almost at will and had an incredible defense. We ran for 3,675 yards. 5.8 yards per attempt. The D had 54 sacks.

Milroe, an offense that was curtailed to accommodate him because he just couldn't do certain things, was asked to do more than Hurts. Hurts was sacked 19 times....Milroe 44. Most of that was holding onto the ball too long....Hurts would usually toss the ball out of bounds when he was in trouble. We ran for only 2,417 yards. 4.3 yards per attempt. The D had 39 sacks.

Hurts and Milroe struggled mightily in these respective seasons vs top competition. We won in 2016 because of our rushing attack and D. We won in 2023 because of our D and lots of big junk plays on offense. The limitations of these QBs kept us from winning it all in those respective years.

Can Milroe improve has much as Hurts....maybe. Hurts had an entire year on the bench. I'd also argue Hurts had a better demeanor and never showed his emotions by cursing on TV, but that's beside the point. Milroe has a lot of mechanical issue he needs fixed.....on top of the processing skills he needs to improve on.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
What annoys me about the “well if he only had a snapper” crowd is that they are usually the same ones that are quoting every meaningless stat and saying he won us the SECCG. But they also never have a response to when you bring up that Mahomes all year was fielding ground ball snaps as well.
So the pro-Milroe posters stats are meaningless and the anti-Milroe posters stats are meaningful? Pretty obvious difference in experience and skillset between Mahomes and Milroe so not a good argument IMO.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
So the pro-Milroe posters stats are meaningless and the anti-Milroe posters stats are meaningful?
Never said that at all. Nor did I imply it.

Pretty obvious difference in experience and skillset between Mahomes and Milroe so not a good argument IMO.
Yeah but yah know there have been numerous threads comparing him to Vince Young and Lamar Jackson. So if we are seriously comparing this guy to a guy with one of the greatest college football seasons and a VETERAN QUARTERBACK that has 2 NFL MVPs then why not compare him to another great quarterback experience a ground ball monster at center as well….. fair is fair right?

Last edited:
Reactions: TD7

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL

You fail to admit we would have destroyed them with Tua

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Never said that at all. Nor did I imply it.

Yeah but yah know there have been numerous threads comparing him to Vince Young and Lamar Jackson. So if we are seriously comparing this guy to a guy with one of the greatest college football seasons and a VETERAN QUARTERBACK that has 2 NFL MVPs then why not compare him to another great quarterback experience a ground ball monster at center as well….. fair is fair right?
My reading comprehension must be failing me.

I missed the Vince Young/Lamar Jackson comparison thread but would never have gone there.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Hurts was the majority of the reason that 2016 defense was out of gas at the end of the national title game. He couldn't convert a 3rd down. They'd get us in 3rd and long and we were dead.

We had 16 first downs to their 31. They had the ball almost 10 minutes more. Clemson had over 500 yards and 99 plays. We were 2 of 15 on 3rd down. (Side note...we were 3 of 13 on 3rd down vs Michigan)

If we're even 3 or 4 of 15, we win that game. Clemson played hurts perfectly. He was 13 of 31 for 131 yards.

Once Bo went down, Hurts wasn't capable of throwing the ball enough.

Milroe vs Michigan.....16-23 for 116. How many pass plays were called and got blown up by him either holding the ball too long or just not seeing his dump off receiver when a blitz was coming?

2016 Hurts:
240 - 382 for 2780 yards.....62.8 Comp%....23 TDs and 9 INTs.....he ran 191 times for 954 yards and 13 TDs.....15 games.

2023 Milroe:
187 - 284 for 2834 yards....65.8 Comp%....23 TDs and 6 INTs....he ran 161 times for 531 yards and 12 TDs......13 games.

Hurts last 4 games of the 2016 season.....Auburn / Florida / Washington / Clemson.....4 TDs, 2 Ints. Which is misleading because he was 2 TDs and 2 Ints vs Auburn. We had no passing game whatsoever in the SEC Title game or the playoff. We won because of that incredible D and our rushing game.

Milroe last 4 games of the 2023 season....(includes UTC, so I'm taking them out and including UK)....Kentucky / Auburn / Georgia / Michigan....7 TDs, 1 Int. Milroe vs Kentucky was 3 TDs, 1 Int.....he threw for 2 TDs vs Auburn and 2 vs Georgia.

The difference here is the comparative rushing attacks. Hurts was never asked to do too much because we could run almost at will and had an incredible defense. We ran for 3,675 yards. 5.8 yards per attempt. The D had 54 sacks.

Milroe, an offense that was curtailed to accommodate him because he just couldn't do certain things, was asked to do more than Hurts. Hurts was sacked 19 times....Milroe 44. Most of that was holding onto the ball too long....Hurts would usually toss the ball out of bounds when he was in trouble. We ran for only 2,417 yards. 4.3 yards per attempt. The D had 39 sacks.

Hurts and Milroe struggled mightily in these respective seasons vs top competition. We won in 2016 because of our rushing attack and D. We won in 2023 because of our D and lots of big junk plays on offense. The limitations of these QBs kept us from winning it all in those respective years.

Can Milroe improve has much as Hurts....maybe. Hurts had an entire year on the bench. I'd also argue Hurts had a better demeanor and never showed his emotions by cursing on TV, but that's beside the point. Milroe has a lot of mechanical issue he needs fixed.....on top of the processing skills he needs to improve on.
The comparisons are a little eerie.

One difference I see (that frustrates me with JM) is that Jalen Hurts knew his best weapon was his legs. Milroe has the belief his arm is his best weapon (at least last year). If he would have had the self awareness to realize he could have run for a lot more yards last year it would have actually made his passer game easier, which is why CTR changed the offense; essentially forcing Jalen to run more in order to open the passing for him.

• Thank You
Reactions: TD7 and Cruloc
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.