Link: Jalen Milroe Working on His Throwing Mechanics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
“But until I see him sit back in the pocket like the guy from LSU and look off 2-3-4 guys and then make a perfect throw or make a perfect run, this is just all window dressing.”

This is what I was commenting on.

I should have bolded it in my initial response.

I want the best player to start at every position, and I don't know who that is at QB.

But I haven’t seen this much negativity directed at one player in some time…at least not one who had a very successful season.
because many would disagree that he had a successful season. The online archive only go back to 2016 on rolltide.com, but at least that far back 2023 was the second lowest passing yardage (missing being worst by only 50 or so yards), by far the lowest scoring (PPG) and lowest total offense, by far. The year with lower passing yards also had Damien harris, BO Scar, Najee, Jacobs and Brian Robinson chewing up yards in the run game, plus hurts adding 850+ yards so they had far more total yards and PPG than 2023.

Net - 2023 was the worst year offensively we've had in a long, long time. That's not all on Milroe, but a lot of it is due to his limitations. Many of of hope he can fix those, but if he can't we don't really want to see a repeat of 2023 again. Honestly I'd rather have a rebuilding year and growing pains with a QB who is showing potential than to have a repeat of 2023 where we see a regression instead of progress.

some_al_fan

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 14, 2024
It sounds like Ohio State got a great center, while all these bad snaps were Young Milroe's fault. Looking fwd to see it.

“Seth’s snaps have been great,” he said. “I know that was a little bit of a concern. I think that had a lot to do with maybe the cadence or whatever. But so far, he’s been doing great.”

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
It sounds like Ohio State got a great center, while all these bad snaps were Young Milroe's fault. Looking fwd to see it.

“Seth’s snaps have been great,” he said. “I know that was a little bit of a concern. I think that had a lot to do with maybe the cadence or whatever. But so far, he’s been doing great.”
I could see the difference between Mlroe and Yong being a problem, but he should’ve gotten better as the season went on.

I do think he rushed Seth a little more than he was accustomed to previously.

Reactions: BamaFanInTally

TD7

Scout Team
Nov 30, 2017
I could see the difference between Mlroe and Yong being a problem, but he should’ve gotten better as the season went on.

I do think he rushed Seth a little more than he was accustomed to previously.
It was also put on Seth's shoulders to call the defensive front and set the protections because Milroe couldn't do it. There was a lot more he was responsible for than just the snap. A lot was put on this offensive line last season to help with Milroe's shortcomings.

Last edited:

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
I don't think this is correct. Most quarterbacks who have a quarterback coach for private purposes are using people outside of their organization. Private coaching is a huge business in this country in all sports on all levels. I would say most kids are getting private coaches outside of their team's staff.
For "private purposes" you're right.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

The true test is in real games. Once games begin and Seth doesn't have any issues, then you know it was something other than him. But if he starts having snapping issues at OSU then you know he was a big part of the problem.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
For "private purposes" you're right.
I'm trying to resist jumping to a conclusion based on this response, but you have yet to concede that most college QBs (especially at a school like Bama) get QB training outside of the program with privately hired teachers/camps/institutes, etc.

You claimed I was making this up without proof, but others have said this is a common thing (so much it surprising you didn't know this).

So I'm just wondering since you didn't respond except with "For 'private purposes' you're right" what you mean and wonder if you understand Jalen's not the only person getting extra training right now (see the post about Austin Mack's training)?

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
Well, to that I would ask you when was the last time Bama had one singular player responsible for losing 2 games and ruining a potential championship season?
A perfect example of what I'm talking about in terms of negativity towards one player.

But to answer your question, I can't recall that ever happening as long as I've been watching Alabama football.

Reactions: CrimsonEyeshade

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
Well, to that I would ask you when was the last time Bama had one singular player responsible for losing 2 games and ruining a potential championship season?
I
because many would disagree that he had a successful season. The online archive only go back to 2016 on rolltide.com, but at least that far back 2023 was the second lowest passing yardage (missing being worst by only 50 or so yards), by far the lowest scoring (PPG) and lowest total offense, by far. The year with lower passing yards also had Damien harris, BO Scar, Najee, Jacobs and Brian Robinson chewing up yards in the run game, plus hurts adding 850+ yards so they had far more total yards and PPG than 2023.

Net - 2023 was the worst year offensively we've had in a long, long time. That's not all on Milroe, but a lot of it is due to his limitations. Many of of hope he can fix those, but if he can't we don't really want to see a repeat of 2023 again. Honestly I'd rather have a rebuilding year and growing pains with a QB who is showing potential than to have a repeat of 2023 where we see a regression instead of progress.
Winning the SEC championship while ending one of our biggest rivals' undefeated streak in doing so, and making the playoffs isn't a successful season?

What would be a successful season?

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
A perfect example of what I'm talking about in terms of negativity towards one player.

But to answer your question, I can't recall that ever happening as long as I've been watching Alabama football.
It's not about "Jalen" as a person; it's about him as a "player."

He plays the most visible position on the field. Other than the center, he touches the ball every play.

Our offense last year (according to another poster) had the worst "net" offensive production of any Bama team in the last 10 years (about the time the "Bama offense" became explosive).

If our offense would have struggled under Tua, Mac or Bryce they would have received just as much criticism for their play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.