Good News Thread

BJ4TIDE

All-SEC
Aug 11, 2007
Grubb to Seattle. Reads like bad news but it’s actually good news. The guy obviously didn’t want to be here. Wouldn’t come as OC a year ago for a big raise and a chance to learn from CNS. Didn’t come with CKD until UW told him they didn’t want him as HC. If he didn’t leave for the Seattle OC job I’m sure he would’ve interviewed for the UCLA job, and then if he didn’t get that he would’ve interviewed at the school that lost their coach to UCLA and so on and so on.
Great post and well said.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Grubb to Seattle. Reads like bad news but it’s actually good news. The guy obviously didn’t want to be here. Wouldn’t come as OC a year ago for a big raise and a chance to learn from CNS. Didn’t come with CKD until UW told him they didn’t want him as HC. If he didn’t leave for the Seattle OC job I’m sure he would’ve interviewed for the UCLA job, and then if he didn’t get that he would’ve interviewed at the school that lost their coach to UCLA and so on and so on.
Wondering why this is posted under Good News...?🤔

Coach25

1st Team
Sep 1, 2014
This was the OC Saban wanted the year before. this was the OC that lead Washington using DeBoer’s system to a National Title game, this is going to hurt us. He is one of the best OC’s in the country. Not that DeBoer won’t take over play calling duties or hire a new OC to run his system but to say that this is good news, or that we avoided a possible distraction, or he wasn’t happy being here is just trying to put lipstick on a pig IMO.

He wouldn’t have agreed to come if he didn’t want to follow DeBoer and be here. He could have remained the OC at Washington if that was the case. He was loyal to DeBoer last year by staying annd loyal to him this year by following him to Alabama. That is honorable in an inhonorable time in college sports. IMO he got an opportunity too good for him to pass up. Greg Byrne said that we knew when we hired him that we might possibly lose him to being the Washington head coach or the Seahawks OC.

Saying that, I do not blame him for taking the opportunity to be a NFL OC especially if this is a dream job to be in NFL or if his family is set in Seattle. Would have loved to see what he and DeBoer could have done at Alabama but it’s alright next OC up. I’m hoping we go after Moore from Missouri. He has worked with DeBoer and he took what Missouri had on offense and took them to a top 10 team this Year.

Reactions: mlh and dathbama

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
This was the OC Saban wanted the year before. this was the OC that lead Washington using DeBoer’s system to a National Title game, this is going to hurt us. He is one of the best OC’s in the country. Not that DeBoer won’t take over play calling duties or hire a new OC to run his system but to say that this is good news, or that we avoided a possible distraction, or he wasn’t happy being here is just trying to put lipstick on a pig IMO.

He wouldn’t have agreed to come if he didn’t want to follow DeBoer and be here. He could have remained the OC at Washington if that was the case. He was loyal to DeBoer last year by staying annd loyal to him this year by following him to Alabama. That is honorable in an inhonorable time in college sports. IMO he got an opportunity too good for him to pass up. Greg Byrne said that we knew when we hired him that we might possibly lose him to being the Washington head coach or the Seahawks OC.

Saying that, I do not blame him for taking the opportunity to be a NFL OC especially if this is a dream job to be in NFL or if his family is set in Seattle. Would have loved to see what he and DeBoer could have done at Alabama but it’s alright next OC up. I’m hoping we go after Moore from Missouri. He has worked with DeBoer and he took what Missouri had on offense and took them to a top 10 team this Year.
We have no quantifiable measurement if this loss will hurt Alabama. There’s nothing to base it off, no spring, no games, grubb literally did nothing but bald face lie to a group of paying Alabama REC members.

Coach25

1st Team
Sep 1, 2014
We have no quantifiable measurement if this loss will hurt Alabama. There’s nothing to base it off, no spring, no games, grubb literally did nothing but bald face lie to a group of paying Alabama REC members.
If you can’t see that losing one of the top OC’s in the county and a man who has run our head coaches system won’t hurt us then you are looking through crimson shaded glasses.

Be careful with that statement. You say he lied, when he took the job did he have the Seahawks job? I remember another man who ended up taking a job after he said he wasn’t going to be the next head coach at Alabama. Did he bald face lie to the dolphins?

I get it i get that it sucks as an Alabama fan, but from everything I have read about him he is an honorable man. Byrne knew about the possibility of losing him to the exact job he took.

Reactions: jjv0004 and B1GTide

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
If you can’t see that losing one of the top OC’s in the county and a man who has run our head coaches system won’t hurt us then you are looking through crimson shaded glasses.

Be careful with that statement. You say he lied, when he took the job did he have the Seahawks job? I remember another man who ended up taking a job after he said he wasn’t going to be the next head coach at Alabama. Did he bald face lie to the dolphins?

I get it i get that it sucks as an Alabama fan, but from everything I have read about him he is an honorable man. Byrne knew about the possibility of losing him to the exact job he took.
Not even the same scenario. If you have to speak in terms of technicalities, then you’re defending lying. Everyone knew he was going to do everything he could to not be at Alabama. Alabama was his fallback job, so to get in front of Alabama fans and announce yourself as the offensive coordinator is a bald face lie.

I’ll play your game: Saban wasn’t the coach when he said it, but grubb was already gone and waiting on the portal to close to make the announcement. Totally different situations.

Last edited:

Bama Lee

All-American
Oct 13, 1999
Dallas, TX

You need to read JessN take on this in assistant coaches thread at the top. Rumor is that Saban may have turned Grubbs down in that interview years ago because Saban realized Grubbs was not the real brains behind that offense. Then go look at results of respective offenses when Grubbs and deboer were not together. There is your answer. These two guys worked well together and thought very much alike (same philosophy). But deboer offense was successful way before grubb got there and will be again after he is gone

Coach25

1st Team
Sep 1, 2014
You need to read JessN take on this in assistant coaches thread at the top. Rumor is that Saban may have turned Grubbs down in that interview years ago because Saban realized Grubbs was not the real brains behind that offense. Then go look at results of respective offenses when Grubbs and deboer were not together. There is your answer. These two guys worked well together and thought very much alike (same philosophy). But deboer offense was successful way before grubb got there and will be again after he is gone
Like I’ve said before I have no doubt DeBoer will find a suitable replacement or call plays himself. I understand but I don’t deal in rumors. There has been enough of that going around. I’m basing it on the fact that Saban did try to hire him last year, he was considered by most as one of the best OC in college football, he called plays for a team that made it to the title game, he apparently is good enough that an NFL team wanted him as their OC that doesn’t happen if he isn’t a great OC.

All I have said is it will hurt losing him not that we can’t replace him but I will say if anyone thinks it doesn’t hurt us losing him that they are looking through crimson glasses.

Reactions: dathbama

ga tide man #9

Scout Team
Jan 16, 2003
trion ga.
It’s hard to believe that the Seahawks would hire CRG without a through check of his offensive knowledge.

Reactions: jjv0004 and Coach25

Bama Lee

All-American
Oct 13, 1999
Dallas, TX
It’s hard to believe that the Seahawks would hire CRG without a through check of his offensive knowledge.
I think you are missing the gist of the statement. Its not that he lacks knowledge. He just isn't the driver for that offensive style. Grubb has good instincts in playcalling, which is ultimately what you want.

Reactions: AlexanderFan

ga tide man #9

Scout Team
Jan 16, 2003
trion ga.
I think you are missing the gist of the statement. Its not that he lacks knowledge. He just isn't the driver for that offensive style. Grubb has good instincts in playcalling, which is ultimately what you want.
Gotcha… sorry I didn’t get the entire gist of your post. Thanks for clarifying.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.