Link: 2024 5 Star QB Julian Sayin Commits to Alabama

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
I meant to say bring in OC from NFL that knows NFL offense... But this time, someone who can translate the NFL offense to College game. Look at what we have for next 4 years:

‘20 - Bryce Young (2)
‘21 - Jalen Milroe (90)
‘22 - Ty Simpson (25)
‘23 - Eli Holstein (73)
-Commit ‘23 - Dylan Lonergan (83)
- Commit ‘24 - Julian Sayin (14) - Commit

That's one heck of the room.
Next year: Milroe/Simpson battles it out.
2 years from now: Simpson/Holestein/Lonergan/Sayin.
I`m not saying they won`t be, mind, and I sure hope they are, but what are the chances that all of them will remain here over the next two years? In the " NFL Lite " that college football is today, IMO, pretty slim.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I`m not saying they won`t be, mind, and I sure hope they are, but what are the chances that all of them will remain here over the next two years? In the " NFL Lite " that college football is today, IMO, pretty slim.
my prediction:
Loser of the Milroe/Simpson competition will transfer in December.
Holstein/Lonergan depends on how Sayin does... If he leap in front of them for #2 spot next year.... Both transfer. I think Holstein will stay.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
my prediction:
Holstein/Lonergan depends on how Sayin does... If he leap in front of them for #2 spot next year.... Both transfer. I think Holstein will stay.
Just can`t see all those guys sticking around, not enough footballs, and sooooo simple to transfer with no penalty.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
my prediction:
I know it's easy to jump on the hype bandwagon but if one of these QBs doesn't firmly grab a hold of the starting position this year, I don't think we'll be talking about Sayin leaping them for the #2 position; he'll be looking higher. 🏈

Reactions: jjv0004

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I know it's easy to jump on the hype bandwagon but if one of these QBs doesn't firmly grab a hold of the starting position this year, I don't think we'll be talking about Sayin leaping them for the #2 position; he'll be looking higher. 🏈
Here's the thing. I don't think Saban will let Simpson and Milroe transfer out this December. I don't think Simpsonw ill leave. We'll know more in August.

Reactions: The Ols

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Okay, let's try again. how many times we've had players under Saban that Saban really wanted to stay and many of them does, and it worked out well, but when they don't stay... it doesn't work out well... for the most part?
I agree...but tell that to a 19-20 year old former 4-5 star whose family and friends are tell him that he should be starting.

I would believe it is harder for a QB to transfer, learn a new system and beat out whomever is there than any other position. Other than Jamo who has transferred onto our team and been outstanding? Certainly not HT...nor any DB's that I know. Maybe you could say Jaymar Gibbs...not totally sure.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I agree...but tell that to a 19-20 year old former 4-5 star whose family and friends are tell him that he should be starting.

I would believe it is harder for a QB to transfer, learn a new system and beat out whomever is there than any other position. Other than Jamo who has transferred onto our team and been outstanding? Certainly not HT...nor any DB's that I know. Maybe you could say Jaymar Gibbs...not totally sure.
We had few that transferred here and did extremely well. Say what you want about Too'Too.. he was above average contributor, so in Saban's eye, he did well... He was not that bad.

We had others that transferred to the team in recent years and they did well.

Reactions: RollTide_HTTR

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

In 2019 Landon Dickerson comes to mind and to a little lesser extent Jake Coker. I think you have to consider Gibbs being outstanding and he was a 1st round pick. Bama does not have a big history of transfers since before the portal nobody was leaving and not many have transferred in during the portal era. We are hitting at a plus .500 rate on big time contributors and I consider this good.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
In 2019 Landon Dickerson comes to mind and to a little lesser extent Jake Coker. I think you have to consider Gibbs being outstanding and he was a 1st round pick. Bama does not have a big history of transfers since before the portal nobody was leaving and not many have transferred in during the portal era. We are hitting at a plus .500 rate on big time contributors and I consider this good.
Gibbs just wanted to play for a winner -- he had 1st round talent before he came. I did not think he was consistent enough and could not make his own hole when needed. He also dropped the 3rd down pass against UT -- which cost us the game. He was good catching balls out of the backfield, but he was not an upgrade in any way over BROB. You are right about Dickerson and Coker -- although they both came before the portal.

Reactions: seebell

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Gibbs just wanted to play for a winner -- he had 1st round talent before he came. I did not think he was consistent enough and could not make his own hole when needed. He also dropped the 3rd down pass against UT -- which cost us the game. He was good catching balls out of the backfield, but he was not an upgrade in any way over BROB. You are right about Dickerson and Coker -- although they both came before the portal.
That did not cost us the game.

BOB offensive play calling hurt us on that play. I think you were incorrect. Gibbs dropped a short pass across the middle on second down. They threw on third down. We could've ran a running okay to force Tennessee to burn a timeout.

Defense held their own for 2nd and 3rd quarter of allowing 7 points in 2nd and 6 in third. We fell apart in 4th quarter, giving up 18 points. Take away last second touchdown and we win the game easily.

Let's not forget we had 17 penalties against Alabama and Tennessee had 6.

So that was poor example to use Gibbs and Tennessee game.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
That did not cost us the game.

BOB offensive play calling hurt us on that play. I think you were incorrect. Gibbs dropped a short pass across the middle on second down. They threw on third down. We could've ran a running okay to force Tennessee to burn a timeout.

Defense held their own for 2nd and 3rd quarter of allowing 7 points in 2nd and 6 in third. We fell apart in 4th quarter, giving up 18 points. Take away last second touchdown and we win the game easily.

Let's not forget we had 17 penalties against Alabama and Tennessee had 6.

So that was poor example to use Gibbs and Tennessee game.
It was as key a play as there was anywhere in the game....big games are won and lost on big plays. All that you said was basically correct...I just don't remember Gibbs taking over a big game as most great RB's do. He had some sporadically great runs...

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Oh, Gibbs scored a tying touchdown to tie the game. 24 attempts
It was as key a play as there was anywhere in the game....big games are won and lost on big plays. All that you said was basically correct...I just don't remember Gibbs taking over a big game as most great RB's do. He had some sporadically great runs...
I don't mean to take over the thread on discussion like this... I'll keep it short and I'll be done with it.

There's an old saying, that game is won or lost in the trenches. However, how it remains true, the game has evolved over the years where offense matters more than defense. Gibbs did a lot for the team that you probably won't notice throughout the game.

If he wasn't rushing a lot in the game, he was doing the damage in the receiving field. Lot of people didn't realize that He was averaging 6.3 yards per carry running the ball and 9.0 yards as receiver out of backfield. They used him well. He didn't need to take over the game because They had Young as QB. It's a shame people don't realize how much of importance Gibbs was to the team, especially we had receivers dropping the balls a lot.

Reactions: The Ols

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.